2022.5: Streamlining settings

This has been rather disastrous for me. My ZwaveJS2MQTT integration stopped working, because the server isn’t new enough. Yet, it is on the latest version available with HassOS. So, went to restore a backup, but now that has changed, too. It says I need to go to some new place, but it shows no backups available, although there are 5 on the RPi itself, 5 on NextCloud and 2 on Google Drive.

Secondarily, with the new menu I cannot find how to check configuration, or update just Automations, say.

1 Like

Now in dev tools, as the release notes say.

1 Like

Thanks. The backups are now starting to populate the new page, so restoring now.
Just have to figure out how to get the new ZwaveJS2MQTT server, since the option to update doesn’t show up yet.

It’s not showing up because you or the system erroneously removed the community addons repo.

I don’t have zwave2js because I don’r have any zwave gear, but in my addons it says if I were to install it I would get 0.1.58

What are you on?

See this thread, it highlights what happened and how to fix it

2 Likes

I wonder if my case is a bug or a feature.
Trying to set a state or just check an entity.

If a part of the entity_id “er.life360_iphone_6” is inputted in the “Set state” panel, I get a list of entities where only ONE of them meets the inputted string:

If the same string is inputted in the grid below, I see only ONE entity - as it is expected:

And the same is with an Entities list - again the table contains entities which do not meet the inputted string:

I am 100% sure that in the previous HA rev it was working properly.
Possibly this is a BUG.
But it could be a someone’s logics, that is why I am asking…

3 Likes

Configuring SQL via YAML configuration has been deprecated and will be removed in a future Home Assistant release.

Why do we continue to remove YAML definitions for integrations? This makes versioning and sharing configuration harder, but it also reduces the ability to organise related config (e.g. into YAML packages), spreading related code across different parts of the UI.

It makes the management of a series of interdependent sensors incredibly awkward and frustrating to work on.

Pleeeeeaaaase stop deprecating YAML definitions for integrations. It’s debilitating for large/complex configs.

15 Likes

Feature.

The top one finds anything that contains all of the things you type in that order but with anything llowed in between each character. This is how the entity search behaves everywhere.

The second one is looking for exact matches of whatever segment you type.

but shouldn’t the top one be the most exact match? e.g. in those screenshots it should be the device tracker entity

This has been discussed back and forth a lot, it has been decided and is the way integrations will be going: architecture/0010-integration-configuration.md at ab83332fcaf582031e89e328af50d43cd47cb972 · home-assistant/architecture · GitHub

I agree, but the ship has sailed.

3 Likes

Every entity shown has the matching characters in the order they are typed. Then it looks like it is sorted by name alphabetically.

But the most exact match is clearly device_tracker.life360_iphone_6. I understand what you’re saying but surely the most accurate match should be at the top?

I guess it would require a calculation to determine the results that have the least “breaks” in the result.

That would be a nice way to do it as long as it didn’t hide any of the other results as I use it frequently as i can never remember the exact name of entities.

well as python psuedo code it would simply be

if full_search_string in entity.entity_id

If the search function is splitting the text on punctuation as you say it would be the least complex line :slight_smile:

It was a design decision made two years ago. Like nickrout said, that ship has sailed.

Can we not vote for a new design decision on this though? The userbase has changed a lot since 2 years ago surely

Yes it has… we have more new users who prefer UI based config rather than YAML.

8 Likes

Vote?

The core development team doesn’t employ a community-based voting system to make architectural decisions. However, I understand you’re a developer so you might choose to plead your case in the Architectural repo (with the understanding that whatever idea you promote there is something that you intend to implement/champion).

NOTE
To clarify, I am a user, not a developer, so you won’t see me making suggestions there because, unlike Feature Requests, that Discussion area is for developers to discuss ideas, and gain acceptance, for things they wish to implement.