2022.5: Streamlining settings

I just started testing the 2022.5 rev.
And the first thing I checked is the new UI.

I am using Dev tools a lot.
Well, I am tired of reminding how uncomfortable is “not showing entity_id” in the “Set state” panel (as well as in History and some other places) - time flows, this functionality is not being fixed. OK, what can I say…

But I wonder why the RESTART button was hidden so deep?
Where is a logical connection between “YAML”, “Dev tools” & “Restart” ?
Move all Automations, Blueprints - everything low-level - to the Dev tools then…

OK, there is one more Restart button:
But for me “Check config”, “Restart”, “Reload yaml stuff” are commands which are used very often.

11 Likes

Well restarting is something you shouldn’t need to do too often, only when changing things… as the ‘dev’ of your system…

1 Like

Since many things are changing, I am in a constant “development mode”…
And I am still learning too.

3 Likes

The entire page has to do with yaml configuration except for the reload button… Reload individual integrations that are yaml only, or checking your configuration. The restart being there is/was a bonus. The restart button is also accessible via the search button, the c hotkey, the settings → system menu, and the services tab.

1 Like

As was mentioned in the Community many times, people are very sensitive to UI changes.
This particular change (Check config, Reload yaml staff moved to Dev tools) is not critical at all.
Moreover, I appreciate moving Blueprints to Automations, Helpers to Entities.

Well, I guess we will be repeating this conversation again next release.

2 Likes

Type ‘c’ and type ‘reload’ from any page:

As with restart there’s really no reason to navigate to any particular page.

Now one thing that is missing from here unfortunately is check config. That needs to be added. Although you could always do what I do and have an automation that automatically calls homeassistant.check_config any time a yaml file changes in your config folder. Then you never forget to run it!

3 Likes

Earlier Blueprints were in the same section as Automations.
Then they were moved to another section.
Now they are again in the Automations.
If they will be moved once again, similar conversations may start again…

Have you tried actually opening a Pull Request for this particular change you want for entity_id? Would only be a couple of lines of code to show it like this.

It’s almost like people are listening to feedback…

3 Likes

FYI, you’re welcome to join the discussions before these changes go live.

2 Likes

Is this “entity_id” field available out-of-box?
In this 2022.5.0 release?
No.
I am not sure that many people know about a fix.

Could you post a link to the fix?

Thank you!

You know that instead of using the set state box, you can just use the grid below? You can copy the entity_id from there. Or click the entity and then copy the id from the states drop down.

1 Like

Unless you are using a tablet/phone.

Yes, this is what I am doing last months.
It works, but not as easy & fast as it did earlier.

Also, I prefer to have ALL info in ONE place - including entity_id.

The very same about the History. You may have 10 entities with same friendly_name and begin guessing “what entity is selected for the History”.

Well, same discussion within last 2-3 months, not again.

2 Likes

That’s what the search button is for, it’s a way for tablets and phones to use the c hotkey without having it.

Taken on my phone

1 Like

Nice on PC’s, but unfortunately not on mobile devices.

See my previous response, it is on mobile devices.

3 Likes

5 Likes