2022.8: You can fix it!

Got it. Thank you!

Hello, it is nice to see better bluetooth support comes with newest Home Assistant.
And I have a question, does this version of ha support esphome ble gateway?

Wow, I really have to thank the devs … I was running HA Core on WSL (1) and decided to move to HA OS because of bluetooth integration. BT adapter was immediately recognized, set up in a second and then it immediately recognized Xiaomi’s BT clock. Amazing. Kudos.

3 Likes

nice gif :wink:

Great update and great write up again! Curious about the maps colour which was a pita :slight_smile:

Hopefully i am able to use the Nanoleaf Essentials Lightstrip with the Bluetooth Integration until Matter is ready???

And the new Repairs feature is really cool!

Neither Google or Alexa share devices out to HA.

2 Likes

So these are great changes, I’m definitely going to use the Bluetooth one to automate my plant watering for sure. And probably to help with my air conditioning controlled by home assistant.

but could some method be implemented of seeing who logged into home assistant under what user, ip address, and user and what time, and use it to trigger automations by making entities or something? User access control would really help ensure security because I would be able to know immediately after an intrusion and be far more comfortable using it without a VPN and just using ssl/https. I have a ZigBee switch my ONT from Verizon is plugged into and originally used authenticated to automatically send a message to notify me of issues and without any response from me shut down any outside access to my network by immediately disabling outside communication. It was awesome. I got notifications when people logged in so I knew if my landlord were to log in. Basically never happened. But if their was something sketchy I would just disable it and try to see what happened.

Also, separate thing. The media tab let’s anyone logged in access all my security cameras (blue iris system) which I didn’t know untill recently. Which… Is a problem. I mean I sure hope my landlord wasn’t meatgazing me after I took a shower bc theirs a camera in my kitchen near the shower, and that would be weird… and without being able to see if they logged in I can’t even really tell if they could have.

Google is pretty “tight” over allowing 3rd parties to do anything on their ecosystem. If Google had a routine trigger, other than speaking to their device, you could probably do it, but for the past 3 years, Google has promised to have external or device state changes as triggers but has not delivered on that promise.
There is a very sketchy way to do it. You can buy an Alexa device and make it talk to your google home to get something done… xD

Oooo native SensorPush. Thanks guys!!

Well, I guess I could use any speech synthesizer system to send verbal commands to my Google Home speaker, but it would make the room very noisy. Isn’t there a way to send “voice commands” electronically to Google Home?
After all, using my Android Phone - I do not have to speak my commands to it. I may as well just write them. This is a feature to allow disabled people (people who can’t speak) to still be able to use Google Home. So sending commands as a text string should be possible if I only knew how and to what end-point ?

Just updated. Thank you.
LIFX should be more reliable now hopefully, as I occasionally have drop-outs with that integration & have to reload it.

I am running HA in docker on a Synology NAS. Would I be able to use a USB dongle for bluetooth connectivity? Would it be as simple as plugging it in and then installing the HA integration?

1 Like

It’s great that SwitchBot is integrated, but if it’s too far from the hub you are better to use the ESP32 MQTT integration from @devWaves. I have two of these working with their contact/motion/light/button devices and a SwitchBot Bot. Zero issues and the D1 mini ESP32 are very inexpensive. Took me about an hour to carefully setup and flash the first D1 mini, but once the Arduino sketch is saved, additional D1 minis can be flashed in about 5 min, with only the need to enter your WiFi credentials and the SwitchBot device’s MAC address into the sketch.

4 Likes

You can use the google “Assistant Relay” addon, BUT, it is very limited. It cannot trigger routines and has many other limitations about what it can actually do/request. I think that happens mainly because it does not “recognise” who exactly is giving the command and does not know where the command is coming from.
The Assistant Relay is still useful, but not as we, tinkers, would like it to be.

Hi, thank you for all the work in this new release. Regarding the option to show all entities in History, from the change list it seems it didn’t come trough in this release unfortunately. I still miss the capability of seeing all entities like we had before. Can we have it in the next release? Regards, Luis Sismeiro

Two immediate questions while parsing the release notes:

1. Repairs: how to detect a new available repair entry, so e. g. a notification can be sent? Are there triggers/events available for this?

2. Native Bluetooth support:

2.1 Will I finally be able to directly (or via Room Assistant) detect if people are somewhere, e. g. freshly entering in zone.home?

2.2 Are there plans to use Bluetooth next to WiFi and GPS as presence detection sensors?

That would be a real problem solver in terms of GPS and presence detection issues (device_tracker entity assigned to a person).

See the repairs documentation: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/repairs#how-to-use

It shows up on the settings count/badge:

We have no public/consumable event to automate with those.

1. Not following these questions. As per release notes, this adds a Bluetooth layer available to use. The integration using is currently listed in the blog post. Room Assistant is not part of Home Assistant.

Are there plans to use Bluetooth next to WiFi and GPS as presence detection sensors?

We always had that. See: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/bluetooth_le_tracker/

2 Likes

10x thumbs up for this little but someday blowing our minds note (at least if you care for structure/organization/data hierarchy):

• In the background, a project has been started to standardize the names of entities and devices. This work is in progress and will take a long time to complete, as each possible entity has to be adjusted. But it will streamline experiences!

This release is awesome :+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3:

2 Likes

Okay, for some reason with this version Lidl Smart Home branded E27 bulbs just lost their brightness? It’s about half of the brightness from the previous releases max? Any ideas where to dig in to this?
Using ConBee ll and ZHA…