2023.11 To-do: Add release title

The RPi3a+ only has 512Mb of RAM, with the later RPi3b+ only 1Gb.
HAOS has a realistic minimum requirement of 1Gb of RAM, and really needs 2Gb to install add-ons even with zram compression.

Despite what the install docs say, as HASS adds features, more RPi3B+ owners are reporting failures and having to upgrade. Simple installs work - just don’t expect too much.

RPi 3B+ owner here. Four+ years on and still no problems to report. At this moment it’s sitting at 3-5% CPU utilization and between 58 and 59% memory (out of 1G.)

In all fairness, I’m quite sure I could kill it if I started loading up on resource-intensive features.

I also support a remote site with HAOS on a RPi3B+, but that’s very deliberately a simple install with MQTT only and it ticks by with 1Gb of RAM.

Perhaps it’s selection bias, but I’m seeing more and more posts on the forum with RPi3B+ issues and as HAOS gains features, the trend will likely increase so I’m just trying to manage expectations.

Note that the latest $99 Green has 4Gb RAM which is double that even of the 2Gb Yellow. My guess is my SSD Yellow will benefit from a CM5 when it arrives around 2026+ if for nothing else to speed up ESPhome debug cycles.

The update to 2023.11 killed the fibaro integration. The integration becomes a very big delay in reacting. I think, the newly added event handling is the cause.

Is this fixed in the update 2023.3?

What are you asking? 2023.3 is months old.

I think he means 2023.11.3

The solution for
‘Fibaro integration, new event type gives multiple warnings when using with HC3’
and the related 30 seconds issue are not yet released are they?
But these issues were closed about 3 weeks ago??

beautiful tiles, where did you get those or are they all home grown?

This is the standard energy dashboard from HA, it is there already. All you need to do is configure the entities in the dashboard settings. You can also use the cards separately (when you configured the dashbord)

1 Like

Is it possible to mention clearly in the releasenotes if there will be an upgrade of the database? So that we know we need to backup the whole system before upgrading instead of just the home assistant container?
My database is a couple of gigs, so it takes a little more time to backup :slight_smile:

1 Like

You mean like this?

https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2022/04/06/release-20224/#database-performance

2 Likes

Yes, for example. But 2023.11 also had a database upgrade. Which isn’t mentioned in the releasenotes. That’s why I’m asking.

It wasn’t mentioned because it did not have one.

Why did my logs say “Database is about to upgrade from schema version: 41 to: 42” after upgrading from 2023.10 to 2023.11 then?

Maybe because your stats migration failed previously and this is now caught and fixed:

This is the only other db change I could find:

1 Like

Updated to HA release 2023.11.3 this afternoon. Now it says I cannot use the weather information provided by the Ecobee integration as a platform for the weather: item in configuration.yaml. I’d guess this is somewhere in the ‘breaking changes’ area of a release notes page?

This post is mostly intended as FYI for other Ecobee users… I simply disabled the weather: item altogether. Can’t currently use the NWS integration because it’s not updating the sensor values, even though the Python component is parsing the JSON from NWS successfully. :frowning:

Yep, the 41 to 42 was committed on October 23

this must be something related to your config, my ecobee weather is still coming through without issue on 2023.11.3

edit: for clarity, I am using the ecobee integration, not the homekit integration.

I also have weather pulling from the Meteorologisk institutt (Met.no) integration so that I can also have an hourly forecast available in homeassistant, since the ecobee weather does not

It happened to me in the past that I tried to rollback just the HA container to a previous version, but then HA didn’t startup because the database schema version was newer than it expected. Because I didn’t rollback the database addon (I prefered to keep the data that was generated in the meantime).

So that’s why a little sentence in the releasenotes like 'this release has an upgrade to the database schema" would be real nice. So that people know they need to make sure to backup their database.

Yes I understand why you want a warning in the notes and I agree it should be included when there is a schema update.

However as I said, this release did not actually include an update. It only included a fix in case you missed previous updates.

So most people who the update worked for in a previous release would not see an update this time.

Something went wrong with your install when it tried to update your install in a previous release or possibly because of this:

Home Assistant now realises you are on the wrong DB version and updated it for you. This did not happen for everyone.

1 Like