2023.12: Welcome home!

Yes, it was mentioned when it happened and has been in your log ever since. It should also have generated a Repair for you to address.

1 Like

I was on 2023.11.3 and it neither generated warnings in my log, nor a repair. I even rolled back and explicitly looked for warnings and found none.

After upgrade it also did not generate a repair, it just had an extremely cryptic Python error.

Even if it had, that does not excuse incomplete changelogs omitting critical breaking changes information.

1 Like

It was mentioned on the 2023.6 release notes when the change was introduced, and a repair issue was issued at that time.

Could it be you pressed the ignore button then, and forgot about it?

4 Likes

Just to point out another issue with the decision to remove Harmony Activities as switchesā€¦ I use HomeKit bridge to pipe certain entities through to Homekit for the family to use. Instead of piping through the switch.harmony entities I want them to use in HomeKit, I now have to use the select.harmony entity. This in theory should put all Harmony Activities into a power strip type option in Homekit, however the naming doesnā€™t come throughā€¦ So now all Activities have the same nameā€¦ Brilliant. Apparently, an known issue for sometime. Homekit - iOS 16 - input_select name not shown Ā· Issue #78468 Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub

So, again - this change accomplished what exactly? Apparently Iā€™ll have to yaml a bunch of templates just to be able to use this integration with Homekit (which breaks the naming of select or input_select entities) or Alexa (which doesnā€™t use select)ā€¦ Please reconsider this decision, or at least perhaps someone can explain what the benefit is here to the actual end user. In my use case (which I donā€™t feel is abnormal), this change represents either a yaml hassle or loss of functionality. Does not appear this one was thought through from a user perspective.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think so?

I did just discover while fixing it that apparently Iā€™d already fixed the command line binary sensors in the same file, Iā€™m wondering if maybe the warnings didnā€™t flag the ā€œregularā€ sensor or got confused because it was mostly fixed?

Ah, this may be some config within Nabucasa Cloud that Iā€™m not familiar with as I run my own instance locally and access it via a dynamic hostname when away. Iā€™ll have to let someone more familiar with your type of set up chime in.

I vote for this. The actual temperature should be the important one, like before. Thatā€™s how we see with a glance that heating is correct (i.e. if a window is opened, or someone accidentally changed the thermostat to an overmuch setting or switched it off). The other improvements are welcome.

2 Likes

Iā€™m wondering whether I should perform a rollback also because new thermostat card has broken my tablet dashboard design plus I donā€™t understand why main temperature is setpoint and not actual temperature like before :frowning:

3 Likes

Anyone else experience extreme lag with the latest version of home assistant? I went from 10.3 to 12.1 and itā€™s gone from being fluid to slow and laggy with the interface sometimes never reacting when clicking on settings, energy etc. Unfortunately itā€™s the worst experience I have had with home assistant in the last year.

1 Like

Did you manage to resolve this?

I downgraded to 2023.11.3. Nothing in the 2023.12.1 updateā€™s release notes jumped out at me, so didnt try that one yet.
Made a seperate post in Dashboard super slow + high cpu load - #7 by fritz9543 , but nothing came from that either

Thanks for the update. I tried to downgrade but zha stopped working so had to go back to 12.1. I disabled all the thermostats (I had a lot due to using better thermostat) and the speed is back to normal. Hopefully the new thermostat cards get fixed.

Iā€™m not sure to be honest. I came home Saturday night to find my HA server stuck in a reboot loop. I killed power to it, let it reboot and then had both ZHA and Z-Wave fail to start. I then upgraded from 2023.12.0 to 2023.12.1 and ZHA and Z-Wave had both failed to load again. I rebooted the server and now they are workingā€¦ The logs appeared to suggest it was a hardware issue but the reboot sorted it out so I donā€™t know what exactly was going on. I didnā€™t have time to go hunting through the logs properly and copy then to post here.

EDIT: just dug up the previous log where it shows the USB failure for the Zigbee stick and therefore ZHA:

2023-12-10 10:01:11.587 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry /dev/ttyACM1 for zha
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 322, in open
    self.fd = os.open(self.portstr, os.O_RDWR | os.O_NOCTTY | os.O_NONBLOCK)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/ttyACM1'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 402, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 167, in async_setup_entry
    zha_gateway = await ZHAGateway.async_from_config(
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 192, in async_from_config
    await instance.async_initialize()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 210, in async_initialize
    await app.startup(auto_form=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 223, in startup
    await self.connect()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/zigbee/application.py", line 95, in connect
    await api.connect()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/api.py", line 454, in connect
    self._uart = await zigpy_deconz.uart.connect(self._config, self)
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/uart.py", line 131, in connect
    _, protocol = await zigpy.serial.create_serial_connection(
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/serial.py", line 48, in create_serial_connection
    transport, protocol = await pyserial_asyncio.create_serial_connection(
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/serial_asyncio_fast/__init__.py", line 508, in create_serial_connection
    serial_instance = await loop.run_in_executor(None, callback)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/serial/__init__.py", line 90, in serial_for_url
    instance.open()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 325, in open
    raise SerialException(msg.errno, "could not open port {}: {}".format(self._port, msg))
serial.serialutil.SerialException: [Errno 2] could not open port /dev/ttyACM1: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/ttyACM1'

and then Z-Wave:
2023-12-10 10:01:50.080 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Failed to set the Z-Wave JS add-on options: not a valid value for dictionary value @ data['options']. Got {'device': '/dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00', 's0_legacy_key': 'REDACTED', 's2_access_control_key': 'BCD03F2C23A26626E446E5963FF93E74', 's2_authenticated_key': 'REDACTED', 's2_unauthenticated_key': 'REDACTED'}

Like I say, a reboot sorted out both of them. However who knows what will happen upon the next restart or reboot.

1 Like

The HomeKit integration has support for representing the harmony remote as a TV. Itā€™s usually a better experience to export it to HomeKit via the remote entity

Still I would like that the new standard thermostat card is reverted back to a version with the current temperature central in the middle with large font as it was before. There is already a feature request for it but I find it silly to have this request asking for something what was there before already.

I hope that comes trough in the next release. The way it is now doesnā€™t make sense.

2 Likes

Yup - toasted mine as well - constant restarting of the ZHA integration. Had to restore to my pre update backup. Havent been brave enough to retry the update.

I just added the logs to my previous post. Perhaps see if your system was reporting the same.

No such file or directory: ā€˜/dev/ttyACM1ā€™

At a guess, the device name has moved. Maybe due to a kernel update or something, or a timeout.

dmesg is a useful command, eg

dmesg|grep tty

After the below, there is a heap of other info about IDā€™sā€¦ not sure if thatā€™s helpful to post or not.

Sorry, couldnā€™t figure out how to copy/ paste the text from the web browser terminal window.

I actually have 3 USB devices connected and after the reboot, all are working. (Conbee2, Aeotec Z-Stick 5, Google Coral)

1 Like

Thanks! Updating a dozen cards and now itā€™s usable, Iā€™d have personally recommended that as the default stateā€¦