2023.2: How can I Assist?

Z2m is not a custom integration. It is an external application which leverages the mqtt integration.

I have downgraded to z2mqtt 1.29.something (using the partial backup) and now the error in the log is gone, even so the payload looks the same.
Hopefully the system runs stable again

Just in case my situation is useful to anyone having issues with the upgrades… I came from 2022-11-x.

UPDATE: After thinking about this issue in the middle of the night, I realized I did replace my internet firewall 6 weeks ago. I looked at the config this morning and noticed ipv6 is enabled on it and it did have dhcp6 giving out addresses but no ipv6 traffic actually gets through the firewall. So, the comments below seem to imply my rpi4 HA was pulling an address and then insisting on using it without failing over to ipv4 when it couldn’t get out to the internet for proper updates.

I found the following… I could not get Node Red to start in Home Assistant. I would get a 502 Bad Gateway if I clicked on the Node Red in HA. Maybe NR was running but I could not get to the GUI in HA. Much googling and messing around with disabling SSL didn’t seem to help.

I found if I used the RESET config in Add-ons → Node Red → configuration tab (save your secret and paste it back in plus other settings you may want) that it would reset everything on that page including the add on nodes and they disappeared. Now I could get into Node Red in HA and it would complain the add-ons were missing. The 502 bad gateway will show up for about the first 20-30 seconds of NR starting up so wait and then try to get in. THEN, once in Node Red, click in the top right menu and choose Manage Palette. In here, you can try to install nodes again which did seem to be missing from NR even though I had been using them before (most likely failed to install during the update due to the next issue).

However, I found I was getting network errors according to the View Log in Node Red (also in the top right menu in NR). It seems the HA upgrade (?) enabled an IPv6 interface (or it was always enabled but NR didn’t care?). In HA, go to settings and networking and disable the IPv6 interface. I did a lot of upgrades today to my network, my HA, my node red, etc, so I’m not exactly sure which thing made all this bad stuff happen. Very fiddly to get it going again.

In the old days I think I could edit a config file to add these add-ons but now the add-ons are managed inside of Node Red AND to be confusing the add-on page in HA under the config section has npm nodes and you can type in that field but you can’t save or submit anything in it. I dumbly spent 15 minutes trying to figure out why I could type in that field but not save anything (not knowing Manage Palette was now a thing in NR).

So I am running the latest docker image of mariadb I.e. 10.10.2 by using the tag mariadb:latest. I have also updated HA to 2023.2.3. However my HA instance is very slow especially the mobile apps on android and ios.

Is anyone experiencing the same?

Any solutions to this?

try upgrading OS Agent to 1.4.1 (latest release) … I banged my head against mine which was doing the same thing for an hour or so before I did this (I was on an older version), rebooted, and all working again. That being said, there was nothing written to the logs to indicate this was an issue, but appears to have resolved it

I believe you can publish attributes of arbitrary length - but state can be no longer that 256 characters

I also postpone the update from 2023.1.7 to 2023.2.3 because of information on using MariaDB >=10.5.17 because of significant performance issue (like others https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/10ua2we/updating_mariadb_on_raspberry_pi_following_20232/?xpromo_edp=enabled)

I ran on Raspberry Pi 4 / Raspian Bullseye (armv7):
- HA in Docker container
- MariaDB on RPi OS (10.5.15)
- my DataBase size is ~4GiB (not biggest but higher than 2GiB)

Unfortunatelly there isn’t a newer version for MariaDB so far :frowning:
(mariadb-server is already the newest version (1:10.5.15-0+deb11u1))

I thought that more users are using the RPi and MariaDB in above constellation and had the same problem?

Do you think I can do the update already without getting problems?

Experiences from others? How have you proceeded?

(So far I want to prevent moving the MariaDB to container as well - is not only hosting for HA, I think there isn’t a official docker image as well )

Just received some HLK-LD2410B and, after adding 5V only to the board, it’s detected in HA and works great

1 Like

Great to know! I hope they work as well as the DFRobot one I’ve got which is quite a bit bigger in size and requires a microcontroller. Just waiting for mine to eventually arrive from China, hopefully this month.

They seem to work well but I have nothing to compare them with. A neat thing is there is an energy sensor that is 100 when room is occupied. If you sit still it is around 80-100, and if hold your breathe if falls to like 10, pretty cool

I’ve found with the DFRobot one it can’t quite cover our whole living room, despite it falling within the “range” of the sensor so hopefully a couple of these across the room will solve it for me.

I see the Aqara FP1/FP2 mmwave sensors can count how many people are in an area too - although I’ve not got one so have no idea if it’s actually accurate or not. Not sure if you need a 60GHz sensor for that though or if the 24 can handle it, anything like that out the box?

No, no counters, there’s lots of disabled sensors, I have no idea what they do

I can’t really think of any uses for anything but the “Occupancy” sensor but maybe someone more creative than me can think of something with the energy/distances!

Distance could be used to turn on a LED strip based on how far along the strip.
Or stairway lights.

Energy, dim the lights/turn off lights when you fall asleep. (If it detects that)

See my post here.

In short - even if you don’t update you are still affected by this issue.

It is an identified issue with older Mariadb versions. And HAs usage of Mariadb can trigger it in all existing versions of HA.

The reason the recommendation to upgrade is in these release notes is:

1. it was just discovered
  2. theres a schema migration in this release which has an increased likelihood of hitting the issue

But even if you don’t update HA, you may still run into it if you don’t upgrade MariaDB

EDIT: You may want to consider running MariaDB in docker rather then on the host. Then you aren’t limited by what’s in the package manager you’re using. The official Mariadb image is well beyond the recommended version

1 Like

Hi there,

Never had a problems with updates but in the last 2023.02 i can’t restart HA because the database is upgrading… after mores than one hour. Is that normal? (graphs are not loading, or loading without the last values, etc).
(using the default DB config, not MariaDB).

Pedro.

Thanks for the info and explanation.

I am thinking of moving for Mariadb to Docker, but unfortunatelly - for armv7:

user@raspberrypi:~# docker pull mariadb
Using default tag: latest
latest: Pulling from library/mariadb
no matching manifest for linux/arm/v7 in the manifest list entries

But there is e.g., (but also inofficial):
tobi312/rpi-mariadb:10.6-debian

Difficult decision :frowning:

Fixed itself! … took some time to update this time!

migrating a database to a new schema can take some time.
How long? That depends on the size of the database, the cpu / memory the host can use, maybe disk storage and other factors.

Also, it might depend on the database version, as given in the information of this release, it might be, that you hit a bug in MariaDB during the migration IF you are using a specific version.
That can also lead to a longer migration process…

Unfortunately, I went back to version 2023.1.7 because the Modbus module was constantly delivering errors:

Modbus Error: [Input/Output] Modbus Error: [Invalid Message] No response received, expected at least 8 bytes (0 received)

Sensors were suddenly not available, reported back after a few seconds, but other sensors were not available.

No changes were made in my modbus.yaml; After restoring to the old version, everything is stable again.

I think there is a problem with pymodbus here.

Best regards
Michael