2023.2: How can I Assist?

An obvious mistake is to think that everybody want and, therefore, would welcome the same.
As it has been said before, having lots of ESPHome devices turns these unobtrusive badge icons into a nagging nuisances, messing up your update schedule, not excluding general HA functionality.

Just push the update button” - obviously, you never had to redo anything after an update went wrong. Good for you, but, again, it’s not something you should take for granted. Personally, I cannot afford playing with a complex smart home installation freely, thus, I do not welcome mostly experimental features being mass-deployed for live systems.

Naming the assistant in Home Assistant “Assistant” was not the smartest thing to do. Makes it impossible to do searches online, regarding finding help on the new assistant.

Sorry, didn’t mean to be that sarcastic…
Obviously you’re taking your smart home seriously, and thus you’re probably aware - delaying updates is an anti pattern. The more you delay the bigger chance that something may go wrong. Small update, less stress. Takes a lifetime to get use to it.

Why would you need to update the ESPs in the first place?
If the device works then why update it?

1 Like

I’m delaying those, which I built or re-programmed myself, several of which - are heavily filled with external libs and includes. Blindly updating them evey time ESPHome updates is outright unsafe, carefully updating them every time - a headache. I know I shouldn’t delay updating too long, but smarthome system after it’s setup and tuneup should make things easier and not forcing user into doing things it’s way. Life is complicated enough as it is, we have too much forceful proprietary ecosystems already, please do not support turning HA into another one.

P.S. I know I complain here alot, but, seriously, there are literally no reason for such HA behaviour, none. ESPHome addon has “UPDATE ALL” button, it’s quite enough for those who actually need it.

Just disable the update entities. Your posts voicing displeasure take more time to create than it takes to disable update entities. Goto your integrations, click entities. Filter by esphome. Check all the update entities and then disable.

6 Likes

Yes, yes, I already did that, thank you :slight_smile:
I was merely explaining why do I think this feature should’nt have been enabled by default, that’s it.

The great thing about HA is that there are so many different ways to use it, and to integrate it into our lives. For some of us, it’s a lot of fun to play around with.

But some of us do take it very seriously. We monitor and control critical systems like sump pumps and heating systems. In my case, if these fail it can make my home uninhabitable.

In my career working on critical systems, delaying updates was the norm. Changes invariably created work for the support staff and customers alike. We never jumped on “.0” updates, and often skipped a version or two.

The more time you spend researching the full impact of a change, and the more you plan for both the implementation and any possible back-out, the smaller the chance something can go wrong. And the fewer times you have to do all that, the less chance of disruption.

4 Likes

those were all valid points before cloud native became a thing.
Let me try to make myself clear once more:
Those are notifications that an update is available.
Nobody is forcing actions here.
The disable update entities approach explained 2 posts above wraps the the topic.
The same well there is a notification bell to the right of this thread that I’ve just unclicked.

3 Likes

I totally agree the work-around posted above should put aside any concerns. I linked to it in another thread where this was being discussed. Those of us who find the notifications unhelpful can now ignore them.

I’m not sure I’m getting the cloud-native connection though. I think the fact that HA can run locally is touted as one of it’s big advantages. It certainly was my most important criterion.

HA is not like a cell phone, where we just accept updates without thinking much about it. Not only are cell phones more cloud dependent, but they’re also used by millions of poeple out of the box, without the level of specific set-up, configuration and customization which we need to do for HA. Each HA instance is unique, and requires ongoing tech support - by us.

Cloud native meant as an approach to doing software development, not as ‘give-all-your-data-to-the-cloud-overlords’. Like in building a factory for software development by automating as much as possible along the pipeline. Making sure you go through the necessary tests at every step. But yeah, totally agree, keep your data as private as possible.

It reminds me of the time when HA decided to rename the old Hassio install method to just plain “Home Assistant” even tho there were three other ways to install it.

“What version of Home Assistant do you run?”

“Home Assistant”

“yes, but which one?”

“Home Assistant”

etc. etc

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It is not a workaround. A workaround is a (usually undocumented) way to get around a software fault. Disabling updates is the way it is supposed to work, and does work.

1 Like

Don’t get the point, what’s the issue with searching or talking about „Home Assistant OS“ or „Home Assistant Assist“?

Never had problems googling those terms when using quotes around „Home Assistant“

Hi team, sorry for my double post But I think this is also the right place to ask here.

I may not swear. But F#, 5th time in a week all my devices where “out-of-date”. 42 in total. Before I asked (in a WTH) if I could opt-out devices in the esphome interface not to update.

But now updates are even more prominent in my home assistant interface.

42 updates available.

And I feel there’s no good or bad here. I believe being up to data is always better than lacking behind, especially in the IoT world. But 5x42 updates in 6 days? Skipping updates or disabling notifications is not a valid way. Updating all 42 with a 1-2 day interval evenly not.

What is the proper way to manage this HomeAsstant (and ESPhome) team?

I was not getting any update entities from ESPHOME and found a setting in the ESPHOME add-on I had switched off:

Home Assistant Dashboard Integration

Once I switched that on, I got lots of update entities as mentioned here.

What else do I need that enabled for apart from updates or can I leave it switched off ?

The best way I’ve seen is in post 419, above.

If I understand correctly, the latest updates of HA and/or ESPHome integrated the two more tightly. Part of that integration was adding a bunch of entities to HA. Some of these are update entities. You can see them in your entities list in Settings / Devices and Services / Entities. I had not noticed these before, but apparently this is how HA knows a version of something has changed, which triggers the notification “bubble” in the UI.

Maybe adding an update entity for every ESP device was helpful for someone. I have yet to see that explained. But at any rate, most active ESP users will probably find it problematic, for a number of reasons which have been well aired on this forum. Fortunately, there is a way to avoid (i.e.; “work around”) those problems. Just disable those update entities, right from that same Entities page.

1 Like

Just look up a few posts. It’s very easy to turn off update entities.

It’s firmware tracking. It’s built the same way as all devices that have firmware updates. E.g. zwave, zigbee, UniFi, etc. It was an update to the esphome integration.

FYI: update entities were added in 2022.4.

Hi, thanks and yes seen that. But disabling updates entities is not managing, is it? it’s just ignoring updates. Is there not any options to “forget” this update and wait for the next or other?