Constant updates, skip option

I agree with that.

strangely I have a bunch of ESPHome devices that I know for a fact that aren’t on the latest ESPHome version (they are all on 2022.9.x) and I haven’t seen any update notifications pop up on my system for them. I’m on the latest version of HA as of yesterday.

:man_shrugging:

@finity What about your ESPHome version?
A while ago ESPHome changed to a core-addon; it won’t update automatically.
Easiest is to just delete your current add-on, and re-install it (don’t worry about loosing data; as it is stored outside the container you won’t loose any data)

I don’t run the ESPHome add-on (I run HA Container so no add-ons) but I have ESPHome version 2022.12.x in a Docker container so it’s definitely not the latest.

Do the update notifications need the latest ESPHome too?

Hang on a sec…

Does that explain this?

So I can remove my add-on, delete the repository

and then reinstall ESP Home?

And I will lose nothing?

Yes…

Yes…

Ofc you can always create a full backup…just in case :wink:

1 Like

I wasn’t able to test this because I haven’t updated to 2022.2.x yet, but @petro confirmed that this can be done in another thread. Thanks!!

2 Likes

thnx, just disabled them
search for “_firmware”, this makes a nice selection.
I already ignored them all, So I think I have to wait for the next ESPhome update to see if this works

I also confirmed it in this post here :grin:

1 Like

Sorry, I missed that. I hereby give you credit as the first to confirm. Thank you!

Can’t wait to try it myself. Not because having to work around a poorly implemented change is a good thing. Just because now I’m curious to see both the problem, and the workaround, in action. And, it’ll be a good reminder why I resist the temptation to jump on every new version as soon as it’s released.

Just to clarify, this works for all update entities in HA. Not just esphome.

strangely I have a bunch of ESPHome devices that I know for a fact that aren’t on the latest ESPHome version (they are all on 2022.9.x) and I haven’t seen any update notifications pop up on my system for them.

If your devices are not setup for api, then you will need see the pop up. At least for my case, I have one esp device that isn’t using the api and no pop up bubble for this one. Everyone else, yes.

They all use the API.

Till not so long ago I used a version of ESPHome which you had to install via an extra external third party add-on. That got updated nicely, regularly but not that often!
But with the API changes a month or so ago I found out that my version was very outdated it had been stuck since feb 2022. Friendly people here pointed out that I had to remove the previous ESPHome which was scary for I have a 50 nodes, so I thought I lose them all, but that did not happen.
And had to install the now inbuilt esphome add-on, which gets updated several times a week, lolz :slight_smile: .
So now I update esphome ever so often, but let the bubble with the update nodes 50+ just be there and see if it get higher then I know there is another thing in HA that is in need for an update, the nodes… well maybe once a month or two months. For I dread the moment one gets flash fried, and I have to open walls.

I was not getting any update entities from ESPHOME and found a setting I had switched off, I posted here:

Where did you find that setting? I saw your other post, and I’m interested to see what else that integration does. I tried searching for it in integrations, and doing a regular Google search, but no luck.

In the configuration of the add-on, in settings

1 Like

You are confusing the addon-update with the esphome module update, they are nit the same :thinking:

No, the setting I showed in the linked post will turn off the update entities, not sure what else it disables though

yup, i read it better this time, not a clue what is does though :thinking:

I did find a skip option now, it was not there not so long ago, but it is in the settings, click a node, the little > and there you see this:

that did the trick for me, and the beauty of this is that under the ESPHome tab, all the nodes still show that there is an update if one would choose to update, I like it this way.

update not gone from esphome add-on