2023.4: Custom template macros, and many more new entity dialogs!

I tried it as /home-assistant:stable as i usually do. When i was writing that it wasn’t available as stable.

It can display the same as there may be a calculation configured for winter / summer +1h

Guys, can’t express my feelings on how happy I am using Home Assistant. Great thanks to all of you for all hard work done to get the project moving!
Questions, is this alarm control panel entity something new? can it be hooked up to existing motion and camera entities and send notifications, activate alarm?

3 Likes

Would be nice if UI had options to have both lights and more fan speed on the dialogue for ceiling fans?

Most ceiling fan controllers do include combination controls for both the fan and lights, see example;

In addition, also noted while not all do, more than a few fan controls feature 4-speed fan control to adjust fan speed from max, high, medium, low, to off (as in, they need four fan-speeds + an on/off button). Ex:

PS: Off-topic but FYI, Inovelli, JASCO, and HomeSeer all joined “Works with Home Assistant” program:

I’m getting lots of [SSL: SSLV3_ALERT_HANDSHAKE_FAILURE] sslv3 alert handshake failure (_ssl.c:997) errors after the upgrade. Have not found the cause of those yet. Help would be appreciated.

The way it is displayed is new. And yes you can write automations to create your own alarm system or use this:

it makes everything a whole lot easier.

1 Like

The alarm control panel integration is not new and to clarify that is only a UI interface for the “alarm control panel” integration (a virtual “panel” to activate or deactivate an alarm system, as in a representation of a physical alarm control panel device), so it is not a whole “alarm system”.

You can however connect it to your own DIY alarm system based make one yourself from scratch using the “Manual Alarm Control Panel” for base it on “Alarmo” (custom integration by nielsfaber)

1 Like

Regarding Polymer removal: in the documentation we can see:

• In Home Assistant 2023.4, we will log a warning every time Polymer is accessed. If you got a log message, find the custom card, panel, or more info that uses Polymer, and notify the author of this deprecation.

and indeed I now see several entries in the log file, that looks like:

WARNING: Polymer will be removed from window in Home Assistant 2023.5. More info: https://developers.home-assistant.io/blog/2023/04/04/deprecating_polymer

So I guess I’m in the same shoes as plenty of us using custom cards that use Polymer yet. Would be nice thoigh, if message posted in the log point us to the proper place where the Polymer was called from. Having 7 such messages and 34 different custom cards in my config, it is really hard to find where to go to to for support. Obviously waiting for 2023.5 and checking what stopepd to work is a solution… but not THE solution. Otherwise we can also wait for developers to realise that changes need to be made, but as highlighted several times in this thread sometimes it takes time… or even components are no longer in active development.

6 Likes

Thanks for the update. I noticed that none of the entity states are being translated to my language (Swedish) anymore. They are all in English. The rest of the UI is in Swedish though.

5 Likes

I really wish HA team decides to split the Dashboard and Core components (frontend and backend), so we can update them separately and its features. Don’t get me wrong: the Dashboard looks a lot better than a few years ago, with many added features, however, I don’t agree with some of its choices and keep having to update my Dashboard to maintain my own desired look. I want to use the Core updates, but I want to use my own take of the Dashboard.

I would really love te see the HA Core and the Dashboard to be separate so users can still update Core, but keep their Dashboard version. And yes, I know that custom cards are the ones that break, but guess what: without all the hard work of those devs, the community would have been a lot smaller. Also, I don’t like the way all new dialogs work (lots of wasted space also on mobile) and don’t agree with the design they’re going for. Which is fine if HA team thinks is best for their own vision. This is why I would see the Core and Dashboard as separate parts the way to go.

P.S. this is not criticism to the HA team by any means. But thinking back I realize that the most of my time now that goes into HA, is after an update messes things with how Dashboard (Lovelace) operates. My system is very robust and actually rarely I need to tinker with anything. But after each major release I’m holding my breath what changes the frontend has, since it will completely break stuff with forced changes. Even small things like force adding borders suddenly, which means I need to first find out what is happening and why, and then solve it updating themes, which is a core component, is just not the way to go on the long term.

Anyway, as I said: all love to the HA dev team for all their hard work. Just hope this is something they will think about as the community keeps growing and HA keeps getting new features/updates and HA team itself will probably grow as well.

Perhaps this means I need to find my own way of creating a standalone Dashboard, instead of the HA built-in one using API’s (which is probably what many would say as a reaction).

23 Likes

When i restart HA, i now see this in my log, this was not before in < 2022.3
Probaly the integration is still loading up upon restart, and value is unknown at that time, seems the utility meter is too quick in processing data?

2023-04-06 10:01:15.237 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.utility_meter.sensor] Invalid state (unknown > 0.021)

- name: Water Usage l to m3
    unit_of_measurement: "m³"
    icon: mdi:water
    state_class: measurement
    state: >
      {{ states('sensor.water') | float(0)/1000 }}

water_usage_hourly:
    source: sensor.water_usage_l_to_m3
    name: Water Usage Hourly
    cycle: quarter-hourly
    delta_values: false
    unique_id: water_usage_hourly

1. Very high processor usage from HA core, some 3 hours after updating
  2. SQL sensors not working (again!):

Any advice? Thanks!

Then HA could no longer guarantee that Core and Frontend versions work together. If something is changed in the internal APIs of Core that the Frontend needs, the setup would be broken. So a user might update only the Frontend and it would no longer work, because wrong Core version. Or vice cersa (user updates Core which changes APIs and old Frontend version does not work anymore).

Would introduce a lot of issues and additional work (some kind of compatibility logic between the versions) that is just not worthwhile from my POV.

5 Likes

Same here:

you need to move to the forked and very active repo.
there’s a compiled beta at kiosk-mode compatible with Home Assistant 2023.4 · GitHub

but for ease, install that in a separate folder and have your system point to that. HACS is difficult to override with these files.

There will probably be a release anytime soon available via HACS though

2 Likes
2 Likes

if you find the issue, let me know :slight_smile:

mostly a solid release, thanks for that! loving the way HA is going with the more-info-dialogs.

however i run into the same issues like everyone who is using a bottom-navigation-bar on mobile.
i don´t get why modifying the nav-bar, like moving it to the bottom, isn´t a standart feature yet.
guess we all miss custom-header :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I created an issue.

1 Like

after instalation 2023.4 mqtt stop works .when I try restart i have this message .help