2023.5 Broke Ecowitt?

Ecowhitt seems to have broke when I updated to 2023.5. Is it just me? PI4 HAOS

Logger: homeassistant.setup
Source: setup.py:214
First occurred: 4:25:47 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 4:25:47 PM
Setup failed for custom integration ecowitt: Unable to import component: cannot import name 'async_get_registry' from 'homeassistant.helpers.entity_registry' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_registry.py)

broke here as well

Setup failed for custom integration ecowitt: Unable to import component: cannot import name 'async_get_registry' from 'homeassistant.helpers.entity_registry' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_registry.py)

broken for me as well

Me tooā€¦
I see a closed bug reported for this, ecowit intergation broken Ā· Issue #92174 Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub
but it is not clear to me how to resolve?
I redownloaded the HACs integration and still get the same error.

2 Likes

I have got the same problem after updating , any fix for this yet

1 Like

Have a look at fail to load in beta 2023.5.b0 Ā· Issue #149 Ā· garbled1/homeassistant_ecowitt Ā· GitHub
Actions:
Remove from integrations
Remove from hacs
Reboot
Add to hacs. It uses same name but this time you get a message to add a web hook to the ecowit
Edit custom on ecowit with new web hook
Ireboot ha again to load integration

Worth a try !

1 Like

The core update appears to have broken the ecowitt integration. Not sure what to do.

Ditch the one from hacs and use built in integration. I did that right after finding out it is broken.

I fixed this issue and submitted a pull request. The fix is trivial - in the init.py change line 21

async_get_registry as async_get_entity_registry,

to:
async_get as async_get_entity_registry,

effectively async_get_registry was marked as deprecated and was removed in 2023.5.0 and async_get is the replacement.

7 Likes

Ecowitt is a native integration now. removed the HACS version and problems resolved.

IIRC native integration requires https, so I switched to custom component and it worked perfect (until now)

1 Like

Awesome! I have around 59 entities so I think Iā€™ll wait for the update.
EDIT: Iā€™m rolling back temporarily.

For some reason, I canā€™t even delete the integration and because I canā€™t delete it, I canā€™t remove it from HACS.

Thanks this solution works for me

3 Likes

you need to restore 2023.4, then remove the integration and delte from HACs. then reboot HA.
Do NOT re add the HACs integration, just add the native Ecowitt integration.
When Configuring it, Copy the Details it tells you you need for the Ecowitt / WSview app.
you need to update your customer Weather service with those detailsā€¦ (note it no longer goes to port 4199 and uses 8123 instead).
(Then you might have some manual editing to get your entities back to the same names i.e. delete ā€˜GW100_1_7_6_ā€™ from their names !) annoying I know!
then upgrade to 2023.5.x again and all is good.

For those worried about the https support, install NGINX proxy addon, and add a Proxy host that forces SSL on http forwarding to port 8123 of your HAā€¦

on the SSL tab in the above, enable ā€˜force SSLā€™
Note ā€˜external.domain.nameā€™ in my screen shot needs to be replaced by your external domain name from the likes of duckdns etc.

1 Like

Ok, so how do I restore 2023.4?

Is it in the backups section, and then just select the latest 2023.4.x version, and click restore?

I managed to remove it without reverting from backup. I removed extension from HACS - it warns you that integration is set up, you ignore that and remove it. Restart HA, then I could remove it from integrations (it was still showing up). I played with that a little, disable, enable, restart, remove - but finally could remove it. Then I just installed built in one and after, renamed all my entites - it was easier than redo all my automations, dashboards, etc.

Iā€™m following the instructions presented by the built in integration, but itā€™s not reporting. My Ecowitt app doesnā€™t seem to enable the custom/local ā€œgatewayā€

Makes sense. Iā€™ve got it all set up and Iā€™m already running Nginx so I just pointed the Ecowitt URL to that of my HA instance via the proxy. I never see anything populate in the integrations. Should it show devices on the integration page like other integrations? What is an auto-generated device that I can look up in developer tools ā†’ states?

This worked like a champ!
Switching to the built in doesnt work for me as Iā€™m pulling info from multiple locations coming in on different ports, and I plan on 2 more locations at some point.