2023.9: New climate entity dialogs, lots of tile features, and template sensors from the UI!

Yeah, found out after some digging that 7-zip can do it. However, it did a different package/folder structure compared to Home Assistant (HA backup shows ./file while 7-zip shows only file). And HA backup doesn’t recognize it. Anyway, I thought I would try to restore from a full backup from one day before, maybe that package works…

Wanted to tell that things are finally more or less okay for me. It seemed that a day older backup didn’t work either (as I noticed when I woke up when HA wasn’t up still), but then I realized that I can access samba share and see HA logs. Well, there was this same error message than before considering that one yaml file name, and I noticed that log had been updated about three hours after I started restoring from backup. So, since I had access to my hassio config folder, I just renamed the yaml file and then power cycled my HA. And ta-da - not much later I saw that HA was loading! And later I was also able to update to 2023.9.3. without issues.

So, although this ended okay for me, it still leaves a lot of questions about HA backup and restore process. First, we cannot see what is happening and have to sit and wait and hope that everything goes okay. Next (more worrying), if such thing as wrongly named yaml file that is by no means crucial for Home Assistant is causing so much problems that even restore from backup basically fails, but still that same wrongly named yaml doesn’t cause any issues when HA is running, and I could even restart HA just fine, then there should be some warnings at least on backup process itself.

One question remains that I have been wondering for a long time. Now I have two full days of missing history data, and two days where some hours are missing (today, and the day of my backup file as that is being done at 03:00). I would like to add solar production, power consumption etc for energy dashboard consistency, and I know I can add them via developer tools → statistics → fix problems, but that only works for those days I have at least some data on database. But how I could fix consumption etc for those two days that have no data at all on database?

Until you restart. Always do a config check after making updates to your configuration.

But that’s the thing: I did restart HA, several times in fact, and it didn’t stop HA from loading normally, despite of that yaml file. Also, this was a separate yaml file in packages-folder, so config check doesn’t notice those I think. And also nowadays HA even refuses to restart if there is a problem in configuration (noticed that few times) which is a good thing.

It definitely does.

1 Like

Sorry if not the right place for this but I’ve narrowed down my problem to only be happening on 2023.9 as per this thread

After reverting to 2023.8.4 the problem goes away. Any idea on this anyone?

Thanks

2023.9.3 broke several things for me even after several complete reboots:

Lost Switchbot entities as “unavailable” that were working, BlueTooth scanner failure
Lost Settings / System / Backups as “Troubleshooting”
Lost Settings / Add-Ons as “Troubleshooting”
Lost Node Red, Terminal, File Editor, eWeLink Smart Home, ESPHome, etc. as “Unable to load the panel source: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js”

I’m just a rookie so I’ll have to read up on issues and how to resolve them.

The best backup is a copy of the “config” folder at least in the container installation.

The new climate widget is a problematic UX. It took approximately 10 seconds after updating to the new version before my swipe to scroll the page to accidentally changed the temperature setting from 71 F to 65 F (the minimum cooling temperature).

Do we have the option to use a non-graphical option so that we can avoid this undesirable user experience?

Try a plain entity card (note the singular).

Upgrading from 2023.9.2 → 2023.9.3 greatly increased CPU usage. I’ve tried rebooting with no change. Anyone else experiencing the same?

I do not run any heavy load addons. I have all my zwave and zigbee and mqtt running on separate server so my CPU usage is mainly just Home Assistant itself.

My CPU on a Home Assistant Blue hardware runs at a 2-5% CPU load. Always did. Restarting HA only restarts the HA container but other Addons keep running. Either reboot the host or try to stop and start each Addon one by one while monitoring the CPU load. That will also give you a datapoint for later debug. A high load for hours can happen when the database has to be reformatted. That normally does not happen at a patch release.

Also note that in a terminal session with HA you have htop available which can show if specific task is insane

1 Like

Thanks for the info. My HA normally runs about 5-7% CPU. I have done a restart of the host with no change. I’ll start disabling add-ons to see what I can find there.

Update: I just noticed that as of about 15 minutes ago, the CPU has returned to a normal level (5-7%). I haven’t changed anything. :man_shrugging:

No change in CPU utilisation here.

Try disabling your 3rd party integrations one by one and see if that identifies the culprit.

1 Like

So all the things that needed to be done have now finished. That’s the problem with these restarts - you constantly break the tasks running, and HA needs to start a new run every time… I know, I know, this is kind of a chicken egg problem, because how would you know to let your install run for hours with a high load…

I had this a few times, and for now, I’ll just let me install/update run, even with higher loads and wait for at least one week. If nothing changes, it’s early enough to ask, if the load goes down, even mariadb seems to be updated. :rofl:

2 Likes

Since updating 2 nodes to 2023.9.3 from 2023.8.4 I’ve lost the sidebar. It’s set to auto-collapse and when I clip on cake, I get a blank sidebar. It’s Safari on a Mac if this helps.

Have you tried clearing your web browser cache?

I’m hesitant to do that as I have so many sites in the cache. However, I guess I’ll have to - unless somebody knows how to clear a single site’s caches.

UPDATE: Clearing the cache made no difference. A private window gives the same result

FWIW: It’s OK on Firefox

For next time: you can open the browser’s dev tools and disable the cache for that page. Then reload, re-enable and close the dev window.

If it’s a cookie-related issue you can selectively clear cookies too. Google for your specific browser’s instructions.

Just to close this off. I found that there was a content blocker preventing the display of the sidebar. No idea where it came from though.

In addition to clearing the browser cache, I needed (in Safari) to reload the page without content blockers. It’s an option on the View menu if there is a blocker in place.