2024.4: Organize all the things!

in Sweden yes, but second last in Denmark :wink: , which brings us to HA, where these letters donā€™t exist in code or core, and even your UI
04.04.2024_20.05.39_REC

Labels have problem with text overflow:

As a wild guess, Iā€™d say itā€™s caused by the Breaking Change in MQTT lightsā€™ brightness attribute.

1 Like

Petro, didnt you at some point say youā€™d be leaving old school groups once the labels arrived?

Wondering about that, and if we now have the same functionality, only better :wink:

even dynamically created groups, do we still need those with the new organize toolsā€¦

eg,

- service: group.set
        data:
          object_id: media_players_available
          name: Media players available
          icon: mdi:playlist-play
          entities: >
            {{state_attr('media_player.broadcast','entity_id')
              |select('has_value')|join(',')}}

could probably simply be replaced by adding a label broadcast_player, and then use
{{label_entities('broadcast_player')}}?

I did a few preliminary tests on unavailable players, and dont think I saw an error on setting a volume on that, or even playing to that group those label_entities()

:fire: Great update, much need! Iā€™m a bit confused though, why were Categories only written into Automations/Scenes/Helpers and not Devices and Entities pages?

I want to be able to Categorize my Devices and my Entities. The update blog post talked about people using emoji and bracket hacks to organize their table entries, that goes for Devices and Entities too. After the update, the only manually editable grouping method I have is Areas.

This seems like a killer feature to have, why leave it out? Is this something possibly coming in a future update?

2 Likes

Itā€™s always been there, and itā€™s dependent on both the number of items in your sidebar and the viewport. Mess around with the window size in your browser and youā€™ll see the scrollbar expand or disappear (if all the items fit).

The width of the menu isnā€™t narrower either, but some of that width has now been taken up by the scrollbar, hence the cutting-off effect. The other option would have been to take up the dashboard space to accommodate the scrollbar, but that would potentially affect your card layout.

Hereā€™s a picture of mine from an earlier release (2024.3), but I can definitely confirm itā€™s been that way for ages.

1 Like

I did but I havenā€™t done the work yet. Just some of the plumbing.

The plan is to

1. Add devices to areas
  2. Add areas to floors
  3. Add an alexa_target label
  4. Add a zwave_multicast label
  5. Recreate all entities using these old school groupings but with labels, areas, and floors.

Iā€™ve done 1 and 2, just havenā€™t done 3 and 4.

I need to think how Iā€™ll add step 4 because there are some multicast settings that need to be sorted out.

The majority of my old school groups for handling what turns on/off via an alexa utterance. I need to separate the entities for zwave multicast to properly call the multicast service in parallel with other multicast services. This is specifically to turn all lights and switches on at the exact same time. Itā€™s a bit complex, but itā€™s nice to watch when you use it.

Outside that, I have some old school groups that essentially represent areas and floors that I can just flat out delete now. I just have to find all references to those entities and shift to using them in target.

Lastly, I do have some dynamic groups. Frenck mentioned adding service to dynamically add/remove labels from entities with a service. It wonā€™t be added to core, but only to spook. Iā€™m on the fence about shifting to that, so I will most likely use old school groups until thereā€™s a comparable new dynamic group feature.

3 Likes

Check this:

1 Like

I proposed some ā€œessayā€ regarding a possibility to save ā€œtable settingsā€.
Please have a look.
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/persistent-grouping-filtering-sorting-in-tables/713077/2?u=ildar_gabdullin

1 Like

Frenck mentioned in the beta channel on Discord that changing configuration of entities through service calls is not allowed in core anymore, and that a service call like group.set would no longer be allowed nowadays.

So weā€™ll have to rely on Spook for that. Frenck already merged the PRs for these service calls, he mentioned in an issue on the Spook repo that heā€™ll probably release Spook 3.0 next weekend.

Unfortunately my NUC steadily shows 70 to 80%ā€¦ Considering rollbackā€¦ Canā€™t seem to find what causes it.

Regarding the new map dashboard, thereā€™s no way to view, add, modify the zones that are shown on the new map like there used to be. The right hand sidebar is no longer there and clicking a zone doesnā€™t open anything editable.

It seems that itā€™s easy to add Labels to multiple devices/entities from the Settings screen, but how do you remove labels from multiple devices? You can select multiple objects and then ā€œuntickā€ the label from the Add Label button, but it doesnā€™t remove those labels.

Just a follow-up on this - it seems to work from the ā€œManage Labelsā€ dialog, but not from the Devices or Entities screens, so probably a bug.

This isnā€™t an MQTT light though, itā€™s a Z-wave dimmer.

I played around with this a little bit, and found a way to do it.
First I created another map just to experiment with: UI->Dashboard ā€œ+Add Dashboardā€ and choose ā€œMapā€ and give it a name.
Goto that newly created Map dashboard, click on the pencil, get a popup, then click on ā€œTake Controlā€.
You now should be in an edit mode and you can click on the ā€œmapā€ pencil and can edit the view; You may want to choose ā€œpanel (1 card)ā€ to keep it looking the same. But now at the bottom you should have an ā€œEDITā€ button to play with what entities to put in the map, and one of these entities can be a zone that has been defined elsewhere in HA with a latt/long and radius.

1 Like

@francisp I should have been more clear: 32 bit Intel docker image is the problem. Arm based mat well be fine.

I am thinking about a difference between labels & categories.

Label = a property of an entity of any domain.
An entity may be assoc. with several labels.
You may use labels to select entities in templates.
Labels may be used to filter a list of entities in tables.

Category = a property of an automation, a script, a helper, a scene.
Scope of a category = this one particular table. Each table (automations, scripts, helpers, scenes) may have its own set of categories.
An object may be assoc. with one category.
Categories may be used to group objects in tables.

Why categories are provided only for these 4 types?
Assume someone may want to have user-defined grouping for entities as well.

3 Likes

Just added labels to all of my Zone entities, and suddenly it dawned on me I should have probably done that inside the Zone editor.
So, I moved there, and to my surprise found that we can not add labels in that particular UI.

Did a quick check in the release notes, but couldnt really find anything on it.
Is that supposed to be like that, or would this be a fluke in the (my) setup.
maybe a future release?

Hey there everyone. In this release I am seeing odd behavior with a history_stats sensor:

- platform: history_stats
    name: Ethan nap duration today
    entity_id: input_boolean.napping
    state: "on"
    type: time
    start: "{{ now().replace(hour=1, minute=0, second=0, microsecond=0) }}"
    end: "{{ now() }}"

In my timezone, itā€™s currently 2:57 PM and the sensor is reporting 12h and 8 minutes, even though the napping boolean was only on for just over 2 hours. It feels like itā€™s somehow reporting the amount of time the sensor has been off, rather than on.

Just wanted to let you all know and see if anyone else experienced this as well.

Matt