2024.6: Dipping our toes in the world of AI using LLMs šŸ¤–

Two days after 2024.6 and thereā€™s already an update?

This pace of software releases is too fast. Iā€™d prefer stability to new features.

How about even months thereā€™s UI updates and odd months thereā€™s integrations updates?

2 Likes

Yep, Iā€™ve just discovered the same thing. My workday sensor is ā€˜onā€™ despite being Saturday.

1 Like

This workaround automation seems to handle it for me.

alias: Workday sensor fix
trigger:
  - platform: time
    at: "00:00:00"
action:
  - service: homeassistant.reload_config_entry
    target:
      entity_id:
        - binary_sensor.workday_sensor
        - binary_sensor.workday_tomorrow
        - binary_sensor.workday_yesterday

1 Like

I think weā€™ll have to agree to disagree. I think that modern generative LLMs do not understand the words they output. They work based on word distributions following the trained statistical path through their network. But I will acknowledge that for simple queries they seem able to predict the intent of the query and produce valuable results. It seems to me that Home Assistantā€™s voice is a good candidate for simple AI use.
In fact the company Hailo recently partnered with Raspberry Pi to produce a 70$ AI kit with a neural network M.2 card for computer vision acceleration. And Hailo has announced a forthcoming processor able to process LLMs. This might be another local solution to language processing in Home Assistant.
If you havenā€™t read it yet, this blog post about HA and the furture of AI interfaces is very interesting (and reassuring to me).

1 Like

Having a non-YAML background control is great! Now, I wish there was a card transparency control. And if there was a ā€œfrosted glassā€ effect ā€” that would be even better.

3 Likes

No one is forcing you to update. There are plenty of people who only update annually. You apparently donā€™t know the difference from open source and production software. If you want stable production-quality IOT that rarely updates, then buy a Bosch or Seimens system. But donā€™t ask them for DIY help or adding hardware from other manufacturers. But, you will never be bothered with monthly updates.

In my home I have over 110 WiFi clients. Many are things I built using ESP modules. I like the flexibility that Home Assistant allows. If all you want to do is turn some lights on and off and never be bothered with an update, then buy one of those very expensive closed systems.

5 Likes

FYI, understand that ā€Yā€ releases in ā€YEAR.X.Yā€ only add cherry-picked bug-fixes, not new features, as it is only the ā€Xā€ releases that adds new features.

Example: 2024.6.1 and so on only adds cheery-picked bug-fixes to the 2024.6.0 release.

Regardless, stating that there are too many releases is a stupid thing to complain about to a free and open-source project.

Be glad that there are releases at all and simply choose not to update each release, (I know many that only update once a month, usually at the end of the month).

Yes, that was the problem. Bus error. I did not want to put dev versions on my main controller so I was stuck to 2024.5.5.

i noticed it being detected and discussed before my post.
Now it is available in 2024.6.1 and my system works again.

thanks for the great work!

You can got to Settings ā†’ Voice Assistants ā†’ Exposed Entities ā†’ Expose Entities ā€¦

Then you have a list of checkboxes

It appears that it is no longer possible to create file notification entities using YAML. I know it has been migrated to the UI along with my existing entities, but I thought I would mention that when I added an additional YAML file notify entity, it did not appear to get created after a restart.

We are usually informed in the release notes, or in a repair

1. that our entities have been migrated
  2. that we can remove existing YAML entries

Because we were not I assumed that creation was still possible in both YAML and in the UI.

I think nowā€¦ perhaps not

All YAML examples have been removed from the integration page

I just thought I would mention this in case anyone else was wondering why they could not create (or rename existing) YAML file notify integrations.

2024-06-08 02:31:01.138 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.notify] Failed to initialize notification service file
2024-06-08 02:31:01.139 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.notify] Failed to initialize notification service file
2024-06-08 02:31:01.140 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.notify] Failed to initialize notification service file
2024-06-08 02:31:01.140 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.notify] Failed to initialize notification service file

Yes, that is the screen I found. But that list is not ordered or grouped and there are hundreds of entities. Searching kind of works, but only if you know the names. It took me quite some time to find and add the 9 lights in my Livingroom

I would have kind expected there would be a screen that would leverage the new-ish filter screens like in Entities or Devices screens. It is easy to filter on area and entity type and find the entities you need.

I was wondering if such a screen existed and I could not find it. It appears it is not there (yet?)

heck thats it! I was wondering this morning why my covers were opened and my lights woke meā€¦

did you file an issue? check if there is one?

this is in 2024.6.1 that might have caused it?

can confirm that reloading the config_entry manually fixes it

just to be sure: Workday broken Ā· Issue #119130 Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub

now see there is also Workday sensor don't updating state in 2024.6.0b3 Ā· Issue #118688 Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub which was raised during beta (I missed that)

3 Likes

Repair appeared for me after upgrading so donā€™t think itā€™s a global thingā€¦

Upgraded to 2024.6.1 from 2024.5.3 yesterday afternoon. Group presence sensors broke. It no longer uses ā€œhomeā€ and ā€œnot_homeā€. Rather, it is using ā€œonā€ and maybe ā€œoffā€?? I canā€™t find any documentation on this change.

Little dark gray bar to the left of the blue is ā€œunknownā€ and was during the update period.

Same issue here - getting on or off rather than home and not_home.

I have also found that the file notify has broken one of my automations and I am at a loss on how to repair it. The Autorepair appears to have attempted a fix but it says access to file not allowed. This was fine before upgrading to 2024.6.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

lcsneil

I figured this out by testing stuff. There seems to be a bug in Dashboard with the box-shadow (or ha-card-box-shadow) variable when using view type panel. For some reason the shadow-box is disabled. Changing view type to any other type works as intended. I reported it to Github. Hopefully an easy fix.

Theme variable box-shadow / ha-card-box-shadow doesnā€™t work with Dashboard view type ā€˜panelā€™. Ā· Issue #21038 Ā· home-assistant/frontend (github.com)

I noticed the exact same thing, when the alarm and door didnā€™t lock anymore when leaving the houseā€¦ Went through all my automations where Iā€™m using our group presence, which was a pain especially as we are just about to go on holiday in a few hours!!

Never found any documentation on this either, would have been nice to have a heads up on this, as the group presence drives many of our automations.

Assuming you have a device_tracker group, the device tracker entity platform requires an update (Changes in setup entity platforms with group integration | Home Assistant Developer Docs). This link is on the backwards incompatible list for developers on the release page, however seems like not all entity platforms have been updated yet. Will likely get fixed soon. Probably an issue ticket already exists on GitHub (edit, yes it does: "Old style" groups: Lock groups show states "off/on" instead of "locked/unlocked" Ā· Issue #119032 Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub)

Shitty thing is that I just updated all to on/off and probably have to change it back later when it gets fixed.

Have you seen this change? Iā€™m still not even sure if this applies to local files in the config directory. The documentation here is pretty weak on this.

1 Like