2024.8.3 Update, HASS now extremely slow

I just did the update from 2024.8.2 to 2024.8.3 released today and HASS is running extremely slow now. Lots of staring at “Loading data”, starting HASS is slow, navigating between dashboards is slow, loading dashboards is slow… it’s molasses everywhere.

What can I provide to help start tracking this down? Everything was just fine on the prior version. No errors or warnings seeming of interest in the log.

What is “HASS”? I am running Home Assistant OS (HAOS) 2024.8.3 and if anything, it is more responsive than 2024.8.2

Or did you mean Home Assostant Community Store (HACS)? I haven’t tried the latest version yet.

A couple of things are going on right now. Lots of reports of problems with the new HA OS version 13.x on RPi’s and other similar devices which seem to be caused by a dramatic increase in the amount of memory the OS is consuming. But that wouldn’t be from a Core update.

The 2024.8 Core release reportedly does a database update. Depending on the size of the database this can take a long (or VERY long) time, and consume a lot of CPU.

Not sure if either of those are affecting you, but something to consider.

1 Like

HASS, Home Assistant :slight_smile:
Maybe a dated name at this point…

1 Like

Just in case … Have you rebooted the device/vm that hass is running on, rather than just restarting HA? I find for many (but oddly not all) core updates HA runs incredibly slowly - 20 mins to finish starting, some integration never finish loading, UI hardly working - until I reboot the VM it’s running on, and then everything is fine. Then, if I’m updating an integration, for example, restarting HA works fine. I only see this odd behaviour requiring a VM restart after a core update. Restarting HA after the core update but before restarting the VM doesn’t fix the problem. I also see the memory use when HA is slow is about double that of when it’s running normally.

I have done a reboot of the whole machine, yes, a few times now. Oddly enough things seem to be running better today, although some things are still slower than they used to be. For example, looking at the logs takes a while to load the first time. It’s bearable at this point at least. Perhaps it was indeed running some long-running task in the background.

Unfortunately didn’t seem to last. I’ll do some more digging and see what I can find.

Hi I’m on the exact same boat as you, everything is super slow, been trying to downgrade but can’t even load my backup from google drive, the download speed goes super slow and times out. I tried to downgrade to 2024.7.0 but still having the sluggishness. I’m thinking it might be related to HASS OS maybe?

After the update to 8.3 my image on Vmware started crashing and go into a continuous boot loop every 5-10 mins. Restored back to 8.2 and everything is back to perfection.

Yeah, it feels very i/o or network related, but hard to pin down. There’s no real indications of it in the logs to me in that all the components start quickly and even the reported start time is within normal for my system (45-55s). I might try disabling some components to see if that changes anything.

Unfortunately I didn’t make much progress but I ended up going back to 2024.8.2 and now things are zippy and fast like they used to be. I’ll wait to see what comes of 2024.8.4 I suppose.

I’m actually not even able to downgrade, it’s so slow that it just never downgrades or even let’s me load a previous backup. I think I’m going to have to completely reinstall Hass.

Do you by any chance have a Unifi setup for your network? I updated to 2024.8.3 at the same time I updated my Unifi UDM Pro SE to the latest version and don’t know if it’s related.

I had the same issue with HA core version 2024.8.3 running on Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB RAM and attached SSD that this version is slow and laggy. Obviously internal I/O issues as the CPU and RAM usage looks ok all the time.

By downgrading to HA core version 2024.8.2 everything is smooth again as it should. So DB upgrade was not the problem at all from 2024.7 to 2024.08.

By the way, you can do the downgrade via CLI without loosing your data, at least the gap between the backup when you dona restore, via CLI by:

ha core update --version 2024.08.2

Let’s wait for a proper update soon. By the way, there is no issue opened right now for this topic on ther GitHub page right? Maybe we should do this…

Not sure if i have the same issue, but it seems to be the same source of issue.

I clicked on update yesterday evening before going to bed. This morning my HA is starting in recovery mode.

To be honest i m fairly new to this game and i have no clue what went wrong.

I cant reboot because of the following message:

The system cannot restart because the configuration is not valid: Error loading /config/configuration.yaml: expected '<document start>', but found '<block mapping start>' in "/config/configuration.yaml", line 3, column 1

So i checked my configuration.yaml:

homeassistant*
# Loads default set of integrations. Do not remove.
default_config:

# Load frontend themes from the themes folder
frontend:
  themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes

automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml
scene: !include scenes.yaml

It somehow complaints about the “default_config:”. Not sure why to be honest.

So checking the protocolls in the settings and i get these messages for the Core:

I am running on an Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Specs:

Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.4GHz
1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM
2.4GHz and 5GHz IEEE 802.11.b/g/n/ac wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.2, BLE
Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0 (maximum throughput 300 Mbps)
Extended 40-pin GPIO header
Full-size HDMI®
4 USB 2.0 ports
CSI camera port for connecting a Raspberry Pi camera
DSI display port for connecting a Raspberry Pi touchscreen display
4-pole stereo output and composite video port
Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
5V/2.5A DC power input
Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) support (requires separate PoE HAT)

I am not able to restore from a backup. It loads around 5s and then the window closes without any further action…

As i am new to this, i would love to understand what is going wrong here and if need to reinstall the whole thing (and then maybe try to restore a downloaded backup).

Looking forward for more discussion in here.

Kev

Try the command @Fl0W provided below:

ha core update --version 2024.08.2

That’s how I went back without issue. It did take a very long time and appeared to hang, but it got me back.

I do run Unifi WAPs with a cloud key in a docker container on the same host, but no UDM.

. By the way, there is no issue opened right now for this topic on ther GitHub page right? Maybe we should do this…

I’d like to, but going back to my original post, I’m not even sure what info to share to help identify the source.

I went through the release notes and these two changes to aiohttp from @bdraco seemed the most suspicious to me:

Tried that already.

That was the message:

[core-ssh ~]$ ha core update --version 2024.08.2
Processing... Done.

Command completed successfully.

and then again: nothing happened. Even after a reboot of the rasp

Indeed, I had the same in mind as wel as the same problem - how to narrow down the error as obviously not everyone is having this issue… based on our setup it’s also only one specific use case.

I’ll skip the 2024.8.3 and wait for >2024.8.5 and crossing my fingers that it will be fixed (by coincidence).

1 Like

Try a restore of a backup you did before the update when it happened. Probably also the DB update went wrong on

Seems like the DB might be corrupted then? I might try to manually restore the DB on the SD card?

UPDATE: Nevermind, it restores now. I guess third time is a charm… Lets see if that fixes the issue