433mhz gateway comparison

Hello,

I made an attempt to draft a 433mhz gateway comparison so as to enable newbies to have a view if the different possibilities of integration between HA and 433mhz sensors/actuators.

Feel free to comment

4 Likes

so you also prefer the superetherodine? SInce you used the fs1000 I thought you prefered that

“E&R = 433mhz emitter and receiver, can be a FS1000A and a XD-RF-5V or a superheterodyne one (recommended)”

I would like also a comparison between RF433 or ZWAVE.

About RF433 I am worried to go for it because of interference, lack of reliability and very important the STATUS

Hi,

have a look to 433 MHz Nodo RFLink : https://www.nodo-shop.nl/en/21-rflink-gateway

Have a nice day,

Miguipda :wink:

Hi,

Rflink is already in the comparison at first line of the tab…

Yes superheterodyne are better than fs1000a and mk 5v

Ok thanks.

I thought it would be possible to usde the E+R (superetherodyne) and connect it to the pi3 with no additional hardware, but I see that is not a good solution (433utils)??

Also would like to know if you think is possible to change RF433 sensors, so that the state can be polled (or pushed).
Would that be a very complicate/expensive hardware change?

?

A feedback about sensor state could be done with a DIY 433mhz sensor.
Maybe it is the case with 433mhz Off the shelves sensor but I didn’t encountered that.

About RF emitter and receiver directly on the pi I’m not saying it is not a good solution, just be carefull about interferences.

any reference?

Nop, I just can say you that it can be made with rcswitch, in term of design your sensor have to have an id. An example:

Sensor has the ID 67
The sensor send a signal to the gateway 674507 to say door open for example
The gateway send 679999 to say to sensor signal received, if the sensor receive the code nothing happen, if not it send it again X times, and go to an error if it not get an acknowledgement

1 Like

difficult to implement?

Not really for a middle experienced arduino programmer

mmhh would that need to be “big”?. I mean my ideal goal is to put this inside PIR sensor (maybe not the smallest one), inside wall switches (like broadlink tc2, and similar size objects

not it can be with an arduino nano, maybe micro or a standalone Atmega.

I think we are going out of the subject.

Hey a few colleagues and I have an RXB14 coupled to a pro mini (using rcswitch code) then that talks to an esp01 which posts to mqtt home assist then subscribes and have a custom components to make zone’s for a fully functional house alarm and location tracking for lighting. All home assist has to do is look for the latest code received from the last updated custom component.

I use my 433 mhz with mysensors.

i made my “mysensors 433 mhz remote” a long time ago and since then changed it to a RCswitch based remote.

the big thing about that is that you also can port forward signals.
if needed you can use 433 mhz devices that are several hundreds of meters away even if there is no wifi anywhere near the device.

so it gets like this:

hass => mysensor gateway (anywhere in network range) => mysensor remote (send signal and port forward) => mysensor remote (send signal and port forward) => mysensor remote (send signal and port forward) => etc.

1 mysensor Always knows if the other gets the message, if not retry, if reached give feedback.

1 Like

By others you means 433mhz mysensors gateway or you have some sensors with acknowledgement ?

i dont have 433 mhz mysensors gateways.

mysensors is the protocol.

a device can be a nodemcu, an arduino or even a RPI, with a tranceiver (different options there also)

i use arduino nanos with nrf24 tranceivers as devices.

any device can talk to 1 device that is set as gateway, but they all can also talk amongst themselves.
several of those devices i have given a 433 transmitter (that are my remotes). and a few i have given a 433 reciever (my remote listeners).

i have a big garden. i could never reach the end of it with a normal remote and i have no need for wifi there.
but i want a 433 switch at the end. so how to do that?

RPI in living room with hass on it.
the RPI has a NRF24 connected to it and acts as mysensors gateway.
just outside the house (within the reach from the gateway) i have my first remote (arduino nano with nrf24 and 433 transmitter)
25 meters away the second, 50 meters away the 3th and 75 meters away the 4th.
in the bedroom i have a listener.
now i can use any 433 mhz remote in the bedroom and send a signal to any place in the garden.
remote => listener bedroom => gateway livingroom => HASS => gateway livingroom => garden 1(send signal and repeat) => garden 2(send signal and repeat) => garden 3(send signal and repeat) => garden 4(send signal)

i also can only garden 4 send the signal (if neccesary)

HASS always gets to hear if garden 4 did get the message that he has to send a 433 mhz signal.
so the only insecurity is if the 433 mhz switch did get the signal. (but i can place the remote 5 cm away from the switch to make sure)

All remote and listeners can also have any other kind of sensor type added. (PIR, temperature, IR, rain, moisture, sound, light, etc.)

acknowledgement can be used as much and as little as wanted/needed

how you do “mysensor remote”?