A cure for UK 'no neutral Wire' in light switches

You can use a Sonoff basic, but it needs custom firmware which also puts people off.
I’ll see if I can find the thread on dinner break (try searching for UK Sonoff on here).

I’m aware of some light fittings not playing nice with modified bases, two of them in my house are like that so coming up with other ideas…

I know. I also know that only by using custom firmware I can achieve a lot of things. So I never use stock one.
For this one I’ll try ESPHome.

This sounds like just what I’m after. To clarify, the Eachen 10A will let me switch the lights on and off either by the switch or through HA regardless of the state of the physical switch? Does HA always correctly report the light state?

Correct, the switches carry on working and yes, HA does report correctly if you use the configuration for the ewelink setup.

1 Like

In that case, two have been ordered! Great find. I was wondering how I was going to get my landing light sorted, given the no neutral 2-way switch situation. This is a great solution.

Like you, I’m firmly of the opinion that any ‘smart’ solutions need to operate at a level above the physical implementation they seek to improve. A manual override always needs to be in place to avoid not being able to turn the lights on or getting locked out of the house just because technology fails.

I can confirm that it is possible to achieve what the OP did using almost any Tasmota/ESPHome device (I tried it with Sonoff RF/Basic) with a free GPIO. It’s a very simple thing and you can control your switch from both your light switch AND HA (and you can see its status in HA, too).

I know that Sonoff Basic is a bit bulky to sit by the ceiling rose so I’m going to use a Wemos D1 mini with a small 3.3v PSU in my project as I need something like this.
A lot of details can be found in this topic.

And if you don’t have access to a 3D printer, or want a different design, these might work: https://www.cablecup.com/en/shop/hide-white/
I haven’t tried them.

EDIT: sorry, just realised that you want to have a hole for a power cord. Missed that because I want to use the ceiling wires to switch on other lamps, just not yet figured out the simplest way to do it, but.perhaps this is the way to go.

Best,

I’ve used these and work great, can even leave the old ceiling rose backplate in place

Yes, I never realized that there was a problem with this.

I just put a physical no-neutral switch onto the main cable, basically cutting off 3 way part.
To control it from other locations (I now have 2 additional) - I’ve added 2 additional logical switches and configured them to control the physical one.

Hope that would help.

1 Like

Most of the switches, like Aqara, for example, rely on Zigbee, rather then on WiFi.
Buy all means you still have to have a gateway, that your setup depends on, but I think it is something you should expect if you implementing smart devices.

How do you keep the old ceiling rose in place? Surely the bracket has to be flush to the wall?

Does this have the grooves so it just twists onto an existing ceiling rose - like this? https://imgur.com/a/YCHgsSv @cardblower

Everything needs a gateway that you come to rely on. Your gateway for wifi is your access point, so buy a quality one.

Remove the ceiling rose cover and old.light fitting, remove the 2 screws holding the base, slide the metal bracket under the base and put back the screws through the base and the bracket. The new cover then screws the the new bracket. I’m doing another one soon, I’ll take some pictures.

Cheers, makes sense, bought a couple! How are you connecting earth to the dome?

See attached pictures

I never thought about an earth as there wasn’t one on the light fitting, I’ve added one crimped to the through bolt on the dome - as can be seen on these pictures.

This one the bracket wouldn’t line up with the screw holes because of the the cables so had to screw the bracket on under the original rose

Here’s a cure from Sonoff

That is EU not UK.

Apparently it will work in UK as same voltage and frequency, looking at the comments at the bottom of the product page:

https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-t4eu1c-wi-fi-smart-single-wire-wall-switch.html

Well, this is EU. And this is UK.
There are also wiring diagrams and pictures available that show what connections are required.