A different take on an alarm system

I am thinking about putting the main set of sensors on a Gateway connected to a UPS, but then I would need to have the BT HUB6 Router, Home Assistant Server, Zone Minder Server on the UPS, and then realized I would need quite a big one, to keep it up for say 30 mins.

So i have gone down another route and I am using a free account from Pingdom, that checks the UI is available over HTTPS, so if it goes down, I will be notified, plus the Server is set to auto restart, so I could log back in and reset when its all come back.

What we need is the alarm state to be saved so when the Home Assistant services come back up, the alarm state is automatically reinstated…

That’s a shame. These look a lot smarter than the door/window sensors I’m using.

I’m using zwave sensors with a USB dongle directly into the HASS powered with a UPS. I have tried a zibgee usb dongle but the framework in HASS just isn’t stable enough yet.

I still need to implement a UPS sensor to trigger the alarm on loss of power as our power box is on the outside of the house so reltively easy for someone to hit the kill switch.

I’ll look into the alarm state on recovery of HASS I assumed it would retain it’s state.

Has anyone found any decent, cheap outdoor sirens available? I have a YALE 433mhz one from my old alarm still mounted but uses a rolling code and can’t seem to decipher the learning mechanism yet. I might hack it apart and install a raspPi Zero or something else low powered

You could just use a normal alarm siren and fit an ESP8266 in it, provide a power supply and job done.

1 Like

I love the way your tablet looks on the wall. Is it an iPad? I still don’t see how are you powering it. Can you provide some explanation…thanks!

Added the sensor check to the github repo. I might open a new thread as I’m concerned my code is diverging from drytoastmans original code.

For all those that are interested in my take on this you can follow my new thread here: YET another take on an alarm system

3 Likes

I have removed all light switches and replaces with these Teclast P80H Tablets or Xiaomi Wireless Push Button Switches.

In the hole in the wall, I have put the modified USB Adapter so it sits behind the tablet, as detailed above.

This is great. Thank you!

Is it possible to get the panel like on ha into he dashboard so it looks he same?

Couple more questions. When alarm is active and it is tripped immediatly how does that work when I get home? I dont get a few seconds to walk into the dashboard and punch the code in?

Is it possible to add that countdown to the dashboard? I have 90 seconds to leave, id like to see a countdown if possible.

Thanks!!

hi, you did this?

may I know which?

did you do it in the end?

I didn’t get the timer working, but I have the Dashboard Panel change to a message, saying what mode the Alarm has just been put into for 10 seconds, using the API for Fully Kisok App on the Android Tablets

Any wireless charging coil will work the correct usb, i just removed the flat cable from the coil and soldered the power wires to the flat cable, its not very long about 1 inch so have to be careful.

I made my own in the end, using a Sonoff SV, and a 9v 120db Siren from China, works well… now looking to add battery backup to the SV so it works in a power cut…

what is this?

Oh I thin SonOFF SV.

Cool, so you put this into the Siren, somehow, or another casing?

Can you share the link for the siren? There are hundreds

Yeah sorry mistype Sonoff just corrected it lol.

Yes its quite simple really

Sonoff SV (Low Voltage) Flashed is Tasmotta Firmware

Simple 9v Power Supply into the Sonoff SV Input

Then the Siren Connected to the Sonoff SV Output. (https://www.banggood.com/120dB-Wired-Siren-Horn-Speaker-for-GSM-Security-System-Alarm-p-921353.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN)

Configured as a MQTT Switch that is triggered by automation and a button on the HADashboard

Its in a Waterproof enclosure box on the wall in Garage, for now, will put into a Dummy Alarm box soon, when i have the time.

2 Likes

that’s very expensive, lol

works a treat :slight_smile: better than I thought … :slight_smile:

cool. FOr strobe light you have suggestions?