A raspberry pi turned into a Google Home, and it works!

Haaska and ifttt work well without a physical Google Home

I tried both, and now I have the second. I do have a problem with my speakephone (mic working, speaker sounding high pitch unheardable). But the program works perfectly, also with emulated_hue

1 Like

well with IFTTT a lot of thinkgs you can do

This may sound dumb and/or oversimplified but couldnt I just use my existing wall mounted android tablets and connect a better microphone to them to achieve similar results?

1 Like

but from your android tablet you will not control HASS with your voice

This is only running Assistant on an RPi rather than recreating a Home , so if you can use Assistant on your tablets, yes, you can achieve much the same thing.

Iā€™ve been doing it by shouting at my phone for a while now but wanted something more practicalā€¦mic range, volume and available to all.

If the Nvidia is coming out to be a (relatively) open system, then a 50$ object is hard to beat.

FOr a DIY solution you need a pi (maybe a zero is enough), but more importantly a good MIC/Speakerphone, and they cost a lot of money (still cheaper then a 130$ GH)

Hi,

Silly question, but how do I update my assistant to get new features - I have the MagPi kit runnign on a Pi Zero - can I SSH to it and apt-get upgrade or is there another process?

Thanks!

Yay, got it working well with a PS3 Eye for the mic and Nokia MD-8 speaker. Only issue is getting it to auto start after reboot, currently have to SSH in and enterā€¦

source env/bin/activate
google-assistant-demo

Probably something simple but not really up on coding!

Currently on a 2B for ease of plug and play but will solder up a daughter board to get audio out of a Zero W and then build it into a more lounge friendly creation using the USB lead from the PS3 Eye to power it all up.

I can confirm that that emulated_hue and hot word works with the latest SDK from Google :slight_smile:

The hot word is either Hey Google or OK Google, however I have read you can customise your own hotword as suggested already with Snowboy

Demonstration of default hotword and emulated_hue.

Please be aware I already have a Retail Google Home and the Google Assistant on my Pixel to setup the Hue Bridge in the Google Home App.

Whatā€™s up with your audio? Alsamixer not on max?

No itā€™s just a faulty speaker, one that came out of the loft must be 10 years old at least :slight_smile:

I canā€™t get the hotword to work on my vanilla Pi Zero. The button example works great but I canā€™t get the hotword example to work because the GA library isnā€™t compatible with the Zero. Any ideas?

which one?

The gRPC version for ā€˜other devicesā€™ is now the suggested version for the zero. Havenā€™t found conclusive evidence, read idiotā€™s guide, yet though.

Hi

I live in Portugal.
I have set up a google assistant PI, and a propor emulated hue instance.
I do not have a google home.
Altho the GA works fine asking and getting ansers, i canā€™t turn on a single light.

So my question is, do i need 1 working GH to setup the devices or the GA installed into the PI should work to turn on and off the lights?

Also the Alexa PI, needs a Echo or a Dot to work, or a Alexa PI without Echo/Dot works for simply turning on or off a lightbulb?

Best regards

Nuno Reis

1 Like

@Bobby_Nobble
I have just this morning setup my pi3 to run the google assistant sdk on boot. I used these instructions:

https://github.com/shivasiddharth/GassistPi/blob/master/Instructions

I copied his 2 scripts over in the folder supplied in the links here:

And once Iā€™d set the pi to boot to console with autologin, it worked fine.

I did have to install the gpio tools referenced also.

Hope that helps!

@Nuno_Reis
as @anon35356645 has mentioned (as have others) at the moment you need a real live GH to get the sdk working with actions.

Fwiw, with a GH and a couple of Pis with the sdk, linked to HASS via an emulated hue, it all works very smoothly!

1 Like

Thx, i had already read the comments here, but not all people had stated to have or not the GH.
Was too bad tho, had to drop GA for now, will use AlexaPi for now :smiley:

Best regards from Portugal

Nuno Reis

I did see this thanks, was hoping to keep it as a vanilla install but itā€™s a long way from the end of the world if a wipe and start again is needed after any updates.

I have a real GH and the rPi GHā€¦ It is set to auto start (and verified that it does). I can control my HA with the GH but not the rPi GH. Is there anything else I need to do? Is is suppose to be visible in the Google app as a device?