Ability to control Philips/Wiz Connected WIFI Smart LED lights?

Are these bulbs able to be setup in HA:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-Color-and-Tunable-White-A19-LED-60W-Equivalent-Dimmable-Smart-Wi-Fi-Wiz-Connected-Wireless-Light-Bulb-555607/310289028

Looks like a nice/cheap option.

1 Like

Roundabout, but it appears to work if you connect the Wiz app to SmartThings, then setup the SmartThings integration in HA.

Not great long termā€“would love a direct implementation, but until we get an open API, its workable.

I bought 3 of these from Home Depot a couple of weeks ago (BR30 can lights rather than the bulb), and I really like them. I enabled the IFTTT->Wiz link since I already have the HA->IFTTT integration setup for other things. You can set on/off/brightness/color/scenes individually or in groups from HA by sending IFTTT web maker triggers. Note that the IFTTT->Wiz integration is one-way - so HA can control the lights through IFTTT, but it canā€™t query the lights for their current status. It would be nice if there was a direct integration since with IFTTT thereā€™s a couple seconds delay, but pretty good for my needs.

Has anyone found a better way of integrating these into HA?

I have a working OpenHAB binding for them: https://github.com/SRGDamia1/openhab2-addons/tree/wizlighting2/bundles/org.openhab.binding.wizlighting

While all their integrations are cloud based, when youā€™re in the same network you can control the bulbs locally over UDP. (Thatā€™s actually what the app does as well.) Controlling them with UDP doesnā€™t seem to interfere in any way with their cloud connectivity.

Most of what I reverse-engineered about their local protocol is here: https://github.com/SRGDamia1/openhab2-addons/blob/025b9739935b6ea87ecba6cf02c417d0434873e1/bundles/org.openhab.binding.wizlighting/src/main/java/org/openhab/binding/wizlighting/internal/enums/WizLightingMethodType.java

3 Likes

Hey,

Iā€™m still working on a python3 translation/implementation to push a home assistant integration.
Contributions are welcome :smile: - the repo. can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/sbidy/pywizlight
Currently only tested with the SLV Play bulb.

1 Like

Updates and fist integration posted here:

The integration in git: GitHub - sbidy/wiz_light: A WiZ Light integration for Home Assistant

2 Likes

Hey @Sbidy I just noticed that they came out with the Wiz remote and motion sensor recently. Any plans on integrating them into pywizlight?

Github is awesome, works perfectly!!

but I found this in my logs (every second)

2020-09-26 14:56:33 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/asyncio_dgram/aio.py", line 132, in send
    await super().send(data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/asyncio_dgram/aio.py", line 94, in send
    _ = self.exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/asyncio_dgram/aio.py", line 52, in exception
    raise exc
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/selector_events.py", line 1009, in _read_ready
    data, addr = self._sock.recvfrom(self.max_size)
ConnectionRefusedError: [Errno 111] Connection refused

Is this just failed connections to bulbs that are shut off?

Thanks.

I have the wiz remote and sensor branded under Philips, let me know if you need any info like device id etc, though i am not sure how to get them. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Dear Mr Stephan ā€œSbidyā€ I want to thank you for writing PyWizLight. I am new to Wiz, and may I ask if your code will help me? I just want to control my bulb(s) with Python. I donā€™t have any smart home program, and I donā€™t want one, but your posts use the word ā€œintegrationā€. Does this mean that it only works in conjunction with another program? If I want buttons and controls, Iā€™ll use Tkinter! Also, I donā€™t understand how the bulb can connect to my router when it doesnā€™t know my WiFi password. Is there a place where these basic things are explained?

the bulb DOES know your wifi password, you have to set up the bulb on your network using the Wiz app on a smartphone.

in regards to ā€œintegrationā€, this forum is specific to home assistant, and thus discussions will skew heavily toward things that are relevant to it, such as integration of a product into the platform. the python library will probably let you do what you want

Thank you, Richie for the answer! I would have greatly preferred not to have to use the Wiz app at all (who knows how much of a privacy leak it is?) But I guess I can learn to live with it. Do you know if the app works privately, or needs to connect to a server? The reason I want to program it myself is because I donā€™t want to change my Wifi Password one day only to find that my bulbs are toast because the Wiz app canā€™t connect to the server because it was retired five years ago, or something. Or, my Cellphone is running some open-source OS and the Wiz app wonā€™t run on it. Iā€™m here because I hate being controlled by closed-source software that ā€˜phones homeā€™, updates without asking, leaks your data, and stops working when the company behind it goes bust.

I believe some people are trying to reverse engineer the setup process, but right now I have no idea how much data goes out the LAN.

I am using a separate Wifi SSID and network subnet for just for devices like this, you can block internet access to all the devices at once so no phoning home or unexpected updates

Actually a separate LAN is a really good idea. Iā€™m heartened to find a forum with like-minded people in it, even if Iā€™ve only ā€˜spokenā€™ to you @richieframe. I wonder if I could get a USB wifi (WAP) dongle, and use it to create a bulb-only SSID. Perhaps I could use that android emulator (blue something???) to run the setup. This opens up a new angle that I hadnā€™t thought of, the way that the Internet ā€œjust worksā€ on an OS. I mean, I would want all my regular apps to use the Ethernet cable as usual, but my emulator and pyWizLight scripts to use only the network on the dongle. I have NO idea how to do that! It sounds like fun, though.