About the Home Assistant Companion for Android category

Home Assistant’s development path is towards being more accessible to the masses, people who for example might not be familiar with Tasker. I agree with you that more options are better!

1 Like

Actually after posting this I did a quick search to find out if Tasker can work with HA. Apparently it can through node red, which is amazing.

Just came to catch up on things. In the blog https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2019/04/01/android/ someone has posted that one of the coders had a death in the family. Without getting too personal I would just say as someone who lost a very close family member recently that is one of the hardest things that can ever happen to you and one of things that most everyone will go through.

I would just say if you have had this happen to you or if you can imagine how it feels to lose a family member it takes time for the person to deal with things in there own way.

To contribute to the discussion I have used tasker for a few things with HA. It might be a little more involved than some would like to be in terms of setting up and understanding. I think almost anybody could do it but I’m not sure everybody is up for it. For example my fiancee is not going to use tasker to do these things(its just not going to happen) but I would like her to see the benefits from the HA. Metaphorically I would say tasker is like an awesome swiss army knife that once set up can remove a screw pretty nicely but I just like the feel of that perfectly sized screw driver to get the screw out. Anyways i’ve been jealous of the ios app for a long time and I think that overall is fits HA’s philosphy of trying to make it usable by a wide audience. I would just like to add though that I hope they dont remove HA’s ability to tinker under the hood even though I know that its more hassle for the devs as people break there systems

2 Likes

Hi, Any news of this?

Did you read the post above yours? The developer lost a very close family member. Please respect, that he needs time to recover from this…

1 Like

People asking for an update is in no way disrespectful to one single person right?
I’m really sorry for his/her loss but still check this thread every week for updates, hoping someone with some Android development experience is equally waiting for an official app and willing to work on it.

Yes progress would be good, and eagerly awaited. However no one needs to post anything, they just need to check in, and if you set up the forum to notify you on new responses to this thread, and new postings in this subforum, you’ll get notified without asking questions.

If there is any place to ask for its here, especially since the last post in this thread was 2 months ago. And if no one ever asks, no one will know of a demand except for his/her own :wink:

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. I would be glad to contribute to someones patreon when someone want to work on an official app.

Thers’s one in the link in the post from 2months ago you refer to.

I found it disrespectful because one post above his post, it is stated that the developer lost a close familiy member.
Also in another post a few days later he posted “Any news about Home assistant companion app for Android?because the 2.0 for iOS is available”, which for me sounds like “the IOS app is already in version 2.0 and you still didn’t develop android, shame on you”. I might have interpreted it incorrectly, but for me this is not the way to ask for new software in an open source project.

What do you mean with “no one will know of a demand except for his/her own”? The demand is already there, the developers know that people want this app and they decided to do this.

@awarecan I would like to know what is the main purpose of the Android application ?
Display a WebView with push and geofencing or a full native app ?
I should have time to initiate the project. Could we enable Github projects tools to follow all the task ?
By the way I started to clean a bit the project : https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant-Android/pull/3

2 Likes

Couple questions on the HA Mobile App for Android from Google Play store.

1. Will “Push” notification pop up if an event/alert is triggered? (separate from HTML5).
    If yes, will this replace Pushover and other variant notification integrations?

2. Geofencing capability? If so, how will this play with multiple devices?

3. Real-time location ? (similar to Google tracking but would replace Google tracking)

I just saw that there are two new sensor entities created for battery level and wifi connection.

Why would those sensor names be so generic (sensor.battery_level & sensor.wifi_connection)?

I would have thought that they would have been given the same base name as the device tracker.

It makes those automatically created new entities really hard to find and/or tell where they come from if they just pop up in your states/unused entities list.

This issue will be fixed in 0.106. The new entities are actually quite easy to find. Simply navigate to the integration page and select the mobile app integration for your device. You will find all entities associated with your device there. You will be able to click on them and rename appropriately. The fix in 0.106 will only work for new entities not created y et.

Only if you knew they got created in the first place. I didn’t even know they existed until someone mentioned them in the other thread. I was still using the battery attribute in the device tracker entity.

That’s why we have release notes :slightly_smiling_face:

was it announced in release notes for HA or the android app?

yup it was in the release notes in play store and also in the blog post: https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2020/02/11/android-16-17-release/#sensors

I appeal to you as the last hope for my problem. The companion APP does not work on my android 7 devices. This is what HAS publishes when I try to connect.

Logger: homeassistant.components.http.ban
Source: Components / http / ban.py: 124
Integration: HTTP (documentation, issues)
First event: 7:08:42 PM (1 occurrences)

Login attempt or invalid authentication request from xxxxxxx.lan (192.168.x.xxx). (Mozilla / 5.0 (Linux; Android 7.0; HUAWEI VNS-L31 Build / HUAWEIVNS-L31; wv) AppleWebKit / 537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version / 4.0 Chrome / 92.0.4515.115 Mobile Safari / 537.36)

Account, psw are all correct. On an android 10 it works fine.