About the Home Assistant Companion for Android category

Hey there,

I am experiencing a very similar problem to matt44150. (I attempting to re-setup the HA app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, SM-T813, running Android 7.0)

The issues started with being unable to login on my HA instance through the HA app on my tablet. Even though i checked my password about 10 times. (Logging into HA using the chrome browser is no problem).
After reinstalling the app (2022-1), setup fails.

The (dark mode) homeassistant welcome screen shows. On the next screen the instance is properly detected (https://[mysubdomain].duckdns.org:[myport]) and i select it. Then the screen shows a new (light mode) welcome screen and quickly another welcome screen slides in on top of it (opaque background). When i continue the HA instance is again properly detected (from this point everything is in light mode for some reason). When selecting the instance, i get properly directed to the HA login page. Upon logging in i can choose the device name and whether to allow location tracking. Upon tapping “finish” the tablet shows me a (light mode) HA login page with a welcome screen overlaid (transparent background) on top of it. I can not interact with the login screen in the back. But i can start/continue the setup process (continue button on the welcome page). Again, the instance is properly detected, i can login again, and select the device name and whether or not to allow location tracking. When i tap “finish”, i get the purple rotating semi-circle/wheel that indicates something is loading and then the app crashes.

I have tried various combinations of only trying the setup using the first (light mode) instance flow or the second (light mode) flow. The result is the same, getting to the loading part where the app crashes. I went through the arduous process of updating webview which was version 64.x or something and afterward 9x.(Which required rebooting the tablet between several steps because otherwise the update button in the appstore would not show.). I then (re)updated chrome as well and tried again. No change.

However, just now when checking the versions while writing this post i noticed the webview version reverted back to 64.x… I am not sure if i tried to setup the HA app between updating webview and chrome. Notably I was, and still am, running DuckDNS + LetsEncrypt as well. (However, setting up over an external connection using my phone has a hotspot does not appear to change anything.).

EDIT: i went back and updated WebView to version 97.0.x and it still does not change anything.

EDIT2: I factory reset the tablet, installed the HA app and tried the setup. After selecting the instance it get stucks on loading the login screen, simply saying “initializing”.
After a blanket update of all apps requiring an update on the tablet according to the tablet (apparently including the HA app Notably, the installed version remained 2022-1-1.), i do not get multiple setup instances anymore but the end result is still the same. The app crashes after logging in and stating the device name and it asks whether to enable tracking or not.

EDIT3: I followed the steps here:

Only specifically for the tablet, as screwing up my other devices is not worth it.

Thus far i havent been able to fix it. But at least i know my random 16-character password by heart now.

1 Like

We need the crash log in order to help. Get it from app settings or logcat.

Completely deleting the mobile_app file seems to have worked in my case. You can always have a backup of this file just in case you’re afraid it messes up with your other devices.

Hello,

I’m using an Android phone under Lineage OS, and I would like to know if the Google apps are necessary to use the Home Assistant Companion.

Best regards.

you can use the minimal version if you do not have google services installed…if you want to access all features then yes you need google services.

1 Like