Absolute Beginners guide to installing HA on Intel NUC using Docker

Configuration yaml and config for add-ons is completely different.

Config for add-ons is json and is managed directly in the add-ons page.

Im hardwired, just got my NUC running using hassio in docker, copied over my snapshot from the RPi which had a static IP address assigned in the router, disconnected the RPi amended the Mac address in the router for the NUC and fired up. Copied over the snapshot and carried out a ‘wipe and restore’ on the NUC and all’s working perfectly including unifi controller. My config for the samba share is

{
  "workgroup": "WORKGROUP",
  "username": "name",
  "password": "password",
  "interface": "",
  "allow_hosts": [
    "10.0.0.0/8",
    "172.16.0.0/12",
    "192.168.0.0/16"
  ]
}

Got it sort of working. NUC appears in the W10 file explorer under network, but windows reports network path not found.

check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [garyk] -> [garyk] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER, authoritative=1 Auth: [SMB2,(null)] user [Titan]\[garyk] at [Thu, 11 Apr 2019 14:34:33.019019 MDT] with [NTLMv2] status [NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER] workstation [TITAN] remote host [ipv4:192.168.x.x:49878] mapped to [Titan]\[garyk]. local host [ipv4:192.168.x.x:445]

I see other machines from the ubuntu files utility, but access is denied.

Directory/file permissions won’t allow me to write or copy files in usr/share/hassio/homeassistant. What’s the chmod syntax to open this up for editing?

No it won’t, I tried that, ended up logging in through terminal with sudo and coping the file from a mounted usb stick to the usr/share/hassio/backup folder

Copying from the USB stick was denied. Fortunately, I got samba working and was able to move the snapshot and restore my configuration.

What steps did you take, network wise, to switch the nuc? I’ve changed the route for 8123 to point at the NUC, but HA is not talking outside.

Because my RPi had a static address assigned by there router I updated the mac address to the NUC in the router which allowed my NUC to get the same address as my RPi

I have just noticed that since converting over to the NUC docker, I found the duckdns container had stopped in Portainer, I tried re-starting it and it stopped again, so I uninstalled duckdns addon from hassio and added it back again but duckdns will not install now - any ideas please.

OK. I’ll give that a try.

DuckDNS addon doesn’t need to be running all the time.

1 Like

Trying to remote ssh into my NUC now using the [email protected] (the static address of my NUC) and getting ssh in hassio. What would I have done wrong? I was trying to get to the Ubuntu file system

I did try changing the port in the hassio ssh addon to 622, and found I couldn’t ssh at all into the NUC unless I used the -p622 option in ssh, then I could only get back into hassio again.

Sorted by installing tasksel>openssh on NUC

Putting the NUC on the Rpi’s IP address didn’t solve the discovery and internet access problems. MyQ, Google, Ambient, Weather Underground, Alarm aren’t being reached.

If you’re using DHCP, your DHCP server (your router?) Handles the routing and assigning the gateway and subnet information. You shouldn’t have to do anything to get it to communicate with the internet.

I switch back to DHCP and rebooted the NUC. No problems getting google.com in the browser, but no go http://ip:8123/lovelace/default_view.

http://ip:8123/lovelace/default_view?auth_callback=1&code=9eda914c45734072a5c8dd972e912ed7&state=eyJoYXNzVXJsIjoiaHR0cDovLzIwNy4xMDkuMTQyLjEzOTo4MTIzIiwiY2xpZW50SWQiOiJodHRwOi8vMjA3LjEwOS4xNDIuMTM5OjgxMjMvIn0%3D

May be related to this, but my ambient integration didn’t come over with the snapshot. I get an unkown error when I submit my api credentials. Probably because HA can’t access their server.

You restored a snapshot from a pi hassio install?

Yes I did.

I’ve seen lots of failures doing that.

Read the log file and see if home assistant is even running. I bet it’s not.

Don’t restore a snapshot from pi to nuc.

host.local works. Portainer shows ha and add-ons running. Log file is logging.

httplib2.ServerNotFoundError: Unable to find the server at api.rach.io
    2019-04-13 15:06:27 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.myq.cover] There was an error while logging in: 15:06:22.580304 Client Error while requesting data from api/v4/User/Validate: Cannot connect to host myqexternal.myqdevice.com:443 ssl:None [Try again]
    2019-04-13 15:06:27 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.calendar] Error while setting up platform google

Lots of component errors.