Acces /share folder through URL

I have Motioneye setup to record video when motion is detected. It saves the files to /share/motioneye/Camera1/file.mp4.

I’m now trying to send a link to my phone when I’m not home, so I can see the recorded file. I noticed that when I open an mp4 like this: www.example.duckdns.org:8123/local/file.mp4 I can play the file. But when I try to access the file in the location /share/… like this: www.example.duckdns.org:8123/share/Camera1/file.mp4 I can’t open it.

With some help I tried making a symbolic link in the www folder with ln -s /share/Motioneye/Camera1 but still not able to access the files.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can access these files using the URL?

1 Like

Hello @baaswietse, did you ever solve this? Im trying to do the same and have no clue where to start. Thinking about some kind of folder watcher that looks for a file in /share and moves it to /www but feels like an unnecessary step.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue, cannot share images from the share folder and changing the default MotionEye folder does not work…

Hello, I was not able to solve this.

1 Like

I want to do the same thing as in OP.

I’m heading down the path of periodically copying it over from share to www. I’d never used shell_comand before. Like others, I’d rather not have to have this additonal step outside of Motioneye.

Okay fellas, little late to this party but here is my solution. I wanted the camera pictures that Blue Iris made accessible via home assistant web interface as well…

Step 1) Make a network share for the folder in question — Mine: Windows PC running BlueIris

D:/BlueIris/Alerts

Step 2) Create a shell command in Home Assistant to mount the network share
mount_blueiris_alerts_core: mount -t cifs -o dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777,username=homeassist,password=something //192.168.10.121/BIAlerts /config/www/cam_capture/BIAlerts

• I cant remember but I may have had to install the cifs package (hopefully not)

*you wont be able to see the files if you run ls command from terminal addon or directly on the host machine…
*you also wont find the files in file explorer either
You will be able to find them in the browser though
https://homeassist.site/local/mountpoint/file.ext
*you can also see the mount worked correctly by running an ls on the homeassistant docker instance

docker exec -it homeassistant ls /config/www/cam_capture/BIAlerts

Note – I am using a Supervisor Installation