Access barbecue smoking thermometer using Home Assistant

I would like to be able to use a multiprobe BBQ thermometer as a sensor in Home Assistant. I’ve found Maverick and Fireboard, both of which use MQTT on 434mhz and inkbird which uses ? and there are some that use bluetooth.

Just FYI, I use one probe to measure grill temperature and additional probes to sense meat temperature. I would like to take action on temperature measurements during the 3-12 hours that I smoke meat.

Is there a way to integrate any of these devices into Home Assistant (Rpi)?

I do this with a Weber igrill connected via Bluetooth to a raspberry pi, which communicates with Home Assistant via mqtt. Take a look at Weber iGrill 2 integration with Lovelace UI

My Maverick ET-732 works with rtl_433.
There’s an addon for HA.

1 Like

I’ve been messing around with connecting my Maverick with Home Assistant:

1 Like

I have a maverick 733 and although I want a 4 probe thermometer, I am trying to get the 733 working with HAAS. My goal is to be able to give “status” statements though my Amazon Echos. It’s more of a fun, heck I’m stuck at home, project, but challenging. I now an Mosquitto and node-red running on a RPi and HAAS running on another. I plan to add the radio to one of them (not sure which one). It certainly would be nice to use one RPi 4 to do everything but not sure if an Mqtt broker, the radio code and HAAS can all run on the same RPi….(let me know if there’s a way to run even 2 on the same RPi).

Really curious if you were able to get this working? As it happens the Maverick ET-733 is what I have and it’s receiver died this morning. If I could go straight into HA that would be a good replacement/upgrade.

yes and it works very well. I installed rtl_433…and the mosquito integration in home assistant. You need a cheap ($20 on ebay) RF USB receiver and antenna. I used node-red to get the info from mosquito to home assistant entities. There’s probably an easier way…but I was trying to learn node-red, linux and MQTT at the same time…so this was the perfect project.

https://www.sensorsiot.org/install-rtl_433-for-a-sdr-rtl-dongle-on-a-raspberry-pi/

If you do it, there’s an error in the documentation which confused me for hours:

-F “mqtt://localhost:1883,user=”admin”,pass=”admin”,user=pievents=BEER”user=pi

should be:

-F “mqtt://localhost:1883 user=”admin”,pass=”admin” user=pi events=BEER”

and then you can buy an acurite temperature/humidity remote sensor for $12 and get your outside or inside temp/humidity into home assistant.

1 Like

Amazing. I am familiar with Node Red but the rest will be new to me, so fun project indeed. The Pi that runs HA is pretty darn far away from my smoker and grill, so I suspect a second Pi might be needed to actually receive the 433 on. Thanks for the heads up on the error.

Here we go…

how far is far…if you could get reception on your Maverick receiver, you’ll get reception on the pi

It’s about 90 ft away and through most of the house…might be worth a shot to just see if it works though.

give it a try…you can certainly test with the receiver indoors…and if necessary, get a pi 0 W kit for $27.

Using copy and paste through putty, the software install is quick. The MQTT topic I subscribe to is BEER/#. Don’t be surprised when you get each message three times. I haven’t figured that out…but I just use a delay to filter to one.

enjoy

Yeah, I Pi 0 in my garage wouldn’t really hurt too bad, and there’s good Wifi out there.

Thanks. Will stew on this and then probably be back here pulling my hair out in a week. :slight_smile:

I just bought a smoker and of course to I have to drive my wife crazy and add it to HA. I found this post in a google search. I have a Sonoff RF bridge coming that I previously ordered. Will the maverick be able to communicate with the Sonoff RF bridge or do you need to use the methods described above?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I don’t think there is device support for any BBQ thermometer using the sonoff bridge…but I could be wrong. An RF usb dongle costs the same and I know that Maverick 73x’s are supported. I don’t know if the newer Mavericks work with either…they use 915mhz which is supported by the USB dongle, but not sure if the protocol is the same in the newer units…I don’t have one to test.

Okay, so I’ve got rtl4332mqtt running as a HA addon and it sees my R820T (supposedly) and it’s configured for the Maverick protocol, but I’m not getting anything. Did you have to tweak the rtl4332mqtt configuration in some other way to start receiving?

Here’s what my log looks like:

MQTT Topic = homeassistant/sensor/maverick
RTL_433 Protocol = 71
RTL_433 Frequency = 433920000
RTL_433 Gain = 60
RTL_433 Frequency Offset = 350
+ read line
+ /usr/local/bin/rtl_433 -F json -R 71 -f 433920000 -g 60 -p 350
rtl_433 version 20.02-99-g50c774d branch master at 202007202001 inputs file rtl_tcp RTL-SDR
Use -h for usage help and see https://triq.org/ for documentation.
Trying conf file at "rtl_433.conf"...
Trying conf file at "/root/.config/rtl_433/rtl_433.conf"...
Trying conf file at "/usr/local/etc/rtl_433/rtl_433.conf"...
Trying conf file at "/etc/rtl_433/rtl_433.conf"...
Registered 1 out of 161 device decoding protocols [ 71 ]
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Exact sample rate is: 250000.000414 Hz
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Sample rate set to 250000 S/s.
Tuner gain set to 49.600000 dB.
Frequency correction set to 350 ppm.
Tuned to 433.920MHz.

Try starting rtl_433 with no options…just let it default to everything.

Not a bad suggestion but the defaults seem to be set up for something else. These are the defaults, ran them for a little while this morning with no luck.

MQTT Host = hassio.local
MQTT User =
MQTT Password =
MQTT Topic = homeassistant/sensor/currentcost
RTL_433 Protocol = 100
RTL_433 Frequency = 319500000
RTL_433 Gain = 60
RTL_433 Frequency Offset = 350
+ read line
+ /usr/local/bin/rtl_433 -F json -R 100 -f 319500000 -g 60 -p 350
rtl_433 version 20.02-99-g50c774d branch master at 202007202001 inputs file rtl_tcp RTL-SDR
Use -h for usage help and see https://triq.org/ for documentation.
Trying conf file at "rtl_433.conf"...
Trying conf file at "/root/.config/rtl_433/rtl_433.conf"...
Trying conf file at "/usr/local/etc/rtl_433/rtl_433.conf"...
Trying conf file at "/etc/rtl_433/rtl_433.conf"...
Registered 1 out of 161 device decoding protocols [ 100 ]
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Exact sample rate is: 250000.000414 Hz

It looks like the instructions you followed to install were for some specific device. I followed the instructions at:

https://www.sensorsiot.org/install-rtl_433-for-a-sdr-rtl-dongle-on-a-raspberry-pi/

I suggest you reinstall following those instructions.

Hmmm, I thought I wouldn’t be able to do that because I’m running HA OS on the Pi, so I went and looked for an addon to do the same thing. I will dig into this see if I can get them to run on the same Pi?

I have installed both on the same RPi3 and RPi4. I believe you need the 32 bit desktop lite and a supervised install of Home Assistant.