Access configuration.yaml by connected keyboard? - new from Hassbian and desperately lost

Hey there community,

I’ve just come back to home assistant after moving house and Hassbian has been retired! I installed hassio to my Pi 3B, used the web interface to edit my configuration.yaml and cut/pasted my old one.

Bad idea… the app isn’t working, the web interface isn’t working. Just like Hassbian used to if you gave it a broken configuration.yaml I don’t know how to access configuration.yaml by ssh commands and this new screen by hdmi/USB keyboard does not accept any of the old commands I know from Hassbian.

Could someone please help. What to I type in here to access my configuration.yaml? Can I do the same by Ssh once this is fixed? Through searching the forums I read that samba is important and in my great intellect, I did not do this.

I really like the idea of using hassio, it always seemed easier than Hassbian with having a store (and now the ability to donate? But after the intro I cannot find where to send my $$$) but I am so lost and feel so stupid. I just want to access my configuration.yaml by keyboard and then from the prompt I get by logging in over ssh.

Thank anyone for the time they take to dumb this down for me.

Edit:

Of course I find something after hitting create.
I followed this but whilst I can view my configuration.yaml, I do not know how to save any changes? Any tips? :slight_smile:

So, here’s what I did:

1. login to get out of hassio cli and into bash
  2. docker ps to get a list of containers
  3. note the first 3 characters or so of the container for homeassistant - for me it was 51a
  4. docker exec -it 51a /bin/bash
  5. ls to make sure configuration.yaml is there
  6. vi configuration.yaml to edit the file
  7. edit your mistake
  8. esc + :wq to save and exit
  9. exit then login to get back to hassio CLI
  10. homeassistant check to make sure the conf is right this time
  11. homeassistant restart
1 Like

The best advice I can give is to look at the instructions on your screen (most of it is in the pic you posted!)

@nickrout thank you, I gave those a hit, above my level on how to decipher config yaml from that, but found instructions that I edited into my op. Just can’t work our how to save it!

Like it says

@nickrout I appreciate that you think that I’m not a complete idiot, but could I ask for a reassessment? I pressed all of those keys at once and nothing happened :confused:

Not all at once! One after the other.

1 Like

By the way, not at all.

@nickrout Thank you. I felt like I finally got on top of Hassbian and over a year on here, learned what do to and now it’s back to 0 with hassio!

You don’t happen to know if hassio uses the same configuration.yaml file that a Hassbian install would?

Thanks mate.x

They use the same configuration.yaml. HA is HA, if installed in venv, docker or Hassio.

1 Like

How did you edit your old configuration files in hassbian?

BTW, “hassbian” is no longer being maintained but it’s not ‘dead’. And just because you don’t use hassbian doesn’t mean you can’t still run HA in a venv by manually installing it.

Or you can have the best of both worlds and install hassio in regular docker by following the instructions for “installing hassio on a generic linux server”. that way you get the benefits of hassio and you can likely edit your config files just like you did in the old venv install. And then you have the added benefit of the ease of maintenance that Docker affords you.

Hassio is an ecosystem of containers (addons). Once you get your frontend back, you want to choose and install addons which provide you access/tools, because there isn’t a whole lot of access without them. The samba addon is great for broad access to the default mapped directories, allowing you to edit the configuration on your own pc with whatever tools you like. The ssh addons give you access to the hassio cli that you see in your pic and some limited access, but no real access to the host (because they are containers). Other addons for editing files in the UI that you might choose are IDE or Configurator or Visual Studio Code (not available on all machines). I stick with Samba and VSC, notepad++ or whatever on my own pc, myself.

1 Like

OMG, thank you so much for this clear and simple guide! You really saved me there. :slight_smile: