Access Windows shared folder from Hassio

Hi all,
I have a regular Hass.io SDcard-installation on a RasPi3 and I would like to access some shared folder/files on a Windows 10 based PC in my LAN network. I need to do that to run some python scripts in AppDaemon as I explained briefly here.

I’m not a linux user at all, so I discovered that I can’t give simply a path like this
\\192.168.0.x\shared\targetDirAndSubDir\
as I usually do in Windows (I know… soo noob… sorry for that). So, I understand that I need to mount the LAN shared folder in Hassio linux environment.

The first thing I thought to do, was to open a shell with Hassio using this tutorial and try to mount the remote folder via command line.

After googling a bit, what I did was this:

core-ssh:~# mount -t cifs //192.168.0.x/shared/targetDirAndSubDir /share/tmp

But I get this error:

mount: mounting //192.168.0.x/shared/targetDirAndSubDir on /share/tmp failed: Permission denied

On my Windows remotePC, the target folder is freely accessible (full control) from everyone without password. Anyone could help me? (my apologize in advance if my questions are banal).

This isn’t going to work on hassio. You can do it in hassbian.

So with hassio is impossible to browse folders/files shared in remote windows machine?
Very strange policy :slightly_frowning_face:

Hassio isn’t a full Linux distro.

2 Likes

Any workaround or add-on to bypass the problem?

You could either install a samba/cifs container into your docker with hassio but then you might also need to create symlinks(shortcuts) in the hassio/share folder depending on how the container is configured. I haven’t tried the first part but the symlinks seems to work so far.
Or you can install samba/cifs into your host (assuming not hassos) and then mount the windows share through a file called fstab in /etc. You could mount the share(s) inside the /usr/share/hassio/share folder, which should bring them into the hassio container. Lots of howtos on sharing between win and linux around, this one seems to have what you need: https://www.howtogeek.com/176471/how-to-share-files-between-windows-and-linux/

This doesn’t seem to work for me - the container still sees the FS folder.

Has it been tested?