Add Floor for Area and single device

Add Floor like: basement, ground floor, second floor, etc.
After, we can put room on these floor and alone device… like a carpet cleaner.

That can be very useful for exemple: when you add a device, it’s automatically add in floor level and you can set easily a buton to close all the light in one level.
You can have the temperature hi and lo for a level.
You can set all the light of a level on the same color, good for a warning or a reminder.
Etc…

It’s just a idea :slight_smile: thanks

Yes, another example is a “great room”, which often consists of a living room, kitchen and dining room. Philips Hue has this concept which they call a Zone. Actually, a Philips-like Zone is more flexible than what you’re describing because a room (or even specific entities) can be part of multiple Zones. Sure, lights can be handled by a HA group but one would really like to bundle all of the devices and entities in such a Zone that operates like an Area. HA groups don’t cut it because it doesn’t make much sense to bundle lights, AV equipment, buttons, scenes, pools, etc., in a group. Groups don’t help to organize dashboards.

2 Likes

I like that too - also Apple Homekit has floors

1 Like

I like too. I follow with you.

As presence sensing evolves, I think this will be critical. Not only floors but also doors and which rooms they connect. Also stairs and which floors they connect. That way as someone moves about the house the presence sensing can anticipate where they are going and plan accordingly.

1 Like

Seconding, and indeed Hue solves this in a very simple, elegant and powerful way.

I think that a flexible way to achieve this would be if we could create (helper) groups that includes devices by area rather than device by device.

That would require manually selecting which rooms belongs to which floors (which must be input somewhere in any case) but not have to assign each device to one or more groups.

This feature is being added in the near future.

3 Likes

It’s there in Home Assistant 2024.4

4 Likes