Add ons not working properly after snapshot restore

I have a similar problem with restoring a backup (I wanted to switch from RPI3 to an RPI4 + SSD).

I reinstalled the addons and restored the backup for the addons afterwards and that worked for me.

1 Like

I also encountered this problem, both with a partial restore and then a full restore. The addons that were included in the backup did not suffer problems but if I tried to install a new one, in the frontend area it always showed as stopped but from the log it had started correctly. There was no way to get a working solution except after completely resetting the SD card. In this case I preferred not to restore the backup but to import only the yaml files manually losing of course the history.

I had looked at the Addons folder and it was empty. In fact, I didn’t understand where it was writing the information after performing the restore.

Got exactly the same problem. Any solutions other than a clean install?

With the last Home Assistant OS 8.5 it seems to be solved.

I’ve not yet tried 8.5, but here is how I got going on 8.2…

• Install HASS image on SD card. Boot and let it do initial install.
  • Partial restore on only core, no addons.
  • Install one addon at a time from the Add-On Store. Verify it is able to start. Stop it.
  • Partial restore of just that add-on. Verify it is able to start.
  • Go on to the next addon, one by one.
1 Like

Today I was just cloning my RasPi4 SD card to an SSD adapter I bought from Geekworm, and in the process was met with a lot of pain due to this (what I’m going to call) bug in Home Assistant 2022.08.6 and OS 8.4. Currently 8.5 is not available to my Pi for download, without joining the beta channel perhaps.

I found through my own process of deduction essentially the same things as the above posts. I found that, compared to the process above posted by overkill32, you do need to install each addon manually, however you do not need to load each one before you restore a partial backup. Simply install them back to back, then restore those addons altogether.

The bug only happens when you restore an addon that is not currently installed. That addon will fail to Start, even though its Log will appear to be progressing normally, going back to the Info tab the Start button will be present again. Those addons will be greyed out on the Addons page as well.

Anyway, it saves a lot of time not needing to Start each one by one before restoring, at the very least. Hopefully they fix this bug soon for everyone.

3 Likes

i had the same issue with all my add on when I am migrating from raspberry 3 to raspberry 4 with SSD,

what I did to solve the issue is by turning off all add on then did backup on my old raspberry then on the new raspberry 4 on SSD install a fresh copy of HA and then restoring backup and once it is completed i run over all add on and turn it on one by one

2 Likes

Seems a nice solution. I will try that!

FYI: I’m migrating from x86 to VM on Synology

Same issue here and I am running 8.5

I was in the same situation, but after reading your messages I just tried restoring only the add-ons again. I mean, they were not working but they were restored from the landing page. When restoring them for the second time everything is working.

I hope it helps. Regards.

Thank you guys for all the tips.

Ii actually managed to get a clean working install after many tries (and reproduced iit, thanks to the inputs of @factorial, @sme79 , @Protechtedd , @overkill32 )

So the process is quite easy 'even if i still think that it should be working directly and this is a workaround). Actually for some reasons, the restore does not manage to install the addons properly. They are then fully functional (once started) but supervisor does not see them as up. So if they have an UI you cant access it (ex. Deconz, tasmota etc…)

Prerequisite: a full backup your instance

• Get yur new syste ready (eg. Burn the new sd or whatever) and let it start
  • Do a partial restore, with everything (configuration) but the add ons. Note the addons you have
  • Install all the add ons from the addons stores (you may have to reimport custom repositories if you use community addons). No need to configure them at all.
  • Then restore the backup again, but jus the add ons this time,
    Voila
    PS I am really used to HA working so well that i think this should be fixed. the issue is restoring an addon without installing it. As a developer myself (not contributing to HA because i am not a python fan, i a pretty confident this is easy to fix)

Thanks everyone for the great job

10 Likes

I had the same issues and was about to follow your steps.

However I did a complete shutdown and reboot of the hardware - restarting via the UI doesn’t solve the problem. And when it booted up, all the addons were back and running. Not sure if this is the solution, but in my case it seems it a hard reboot fixed it.

28 Likes

Upgraded from Rpi 2 → Rpi 4 can confirm hard reboot fixed the problem.

3 Likes

I had the same issue, but hard reset (unplugging RPi from power) did the trick! Hopefully this will help others.

5 Likes

Great many thanks. Exactly this solution is working!!. How easy :slightly_smiling_face:

I had the same issue upgrading from pi3 to x86 (both hass os). Add-ons displayed as not started despite supervisor logs showing a lot of “XXX already started!” warnings. Did a partial restore (add-ons only) from the same snapshot used for the initial restore followed by a host reboot and everything is working now. I’m not sure if the partial restore was necessary. Thanks to this thread to help me resolve w/o rebuilding from scratch!

I had the same problem, that after the snapshot restore the addons no longer worked. For me, the solution was quite simple.
I restarted the host, after everything had booted up I only restarted the Pi via “Restart”, then everything worked again.
Homematic also found the devices again.

System Respberry Pi 3, second system Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB

2 Likes

++ migrated to a new eMMC Module this morning and the hard reboot (and some patience) resulted in not having to do anything crazy

1 Like

Migrated from HAOS VM to Pi 4 - hard reboot solved the issue. Migrated HACS as well.

2 Likes

Hard reboot solved the issue in 2022.9.5. I had to restore from a snapshot and the add ons couldn’t be started. Thanks!

4 Likes