Add ons not working properly after snapshot restore

work fine!

Thanks, great solution! For other novices that may need a tiny bit more detail to TL;DR, here are a couple of things I discovered on this and other posts. The version of HA I used was the latest as of early December 2023.

1. Once you have a Full backup of your working system, an easy way to get it off the HA box is double-click the backup to bring up the backup’s dialog, click the three dots, and Download backup (to your PC drive). Finding out how to download almost killed me.

2. Once you have booted your newly formatted Home Assistant, you can click the link to upload your saved backup without having to create a throwaway user. Note however if your backup is large you may need to create a user then immediately repave your new install by using the three dots top right of Backups page to upload then restore the backup saved to your PC. Browse around for those threads.

3. If you haven’t run across this, you may be wondering where the “Reboot system” is. Thanks to @kennethpangky and others, I can also confirm this is the magic that properly restarts the add-ons in the new install after restoring the backup. Here is how to find Reboot from the Settings screen (saver than a power cycle reboot):

I hope this saves at least one other person the hours it took me slogging through various posts to get this down to a very few steps (but thanks to those other posts for eventually getting me here!).

One other note, in my case, the spinner that started at the beginning of the restore never went away. I went to lunch and when I returned switched the browser to http://homeassistant.local:8123/ in order to get to the Reboot button.

3 Likes

Can even do a full restart using the extended options in UI. Same issue still in 2023.12.3 - and same solution. All addons shown as running after full system restart. Thanks for your post!

1 Like

Just to add to this in case it helps. I did a full backup from my TrueNAS HA and then a full restore on new NUC hardware. The restore screen was spinning around for a while but I found I could access the restored version from another window in the meantime. I left the restore window overnight but it was still there in the morning. I could still access the new version but the addons were greyed out and not working. I came across this thread and decided to be brave and do a hardware reboot. I can confirm the hardware reboot worked thank goodness! Also simply moving over the SkyConnect dongle worked flawlessly as well.

This thread helped me, but it is pretty wild that this issue has been known for two years and still exists.

I had this same problem after restoring a backup to a Raspberry Pi 4B, reboot did the trick, this is still a problem on 2024.4.3.