Add Samsung Smart Tag support to SmartThings integration

I also started to have the screen on my mobile phone turn on intermittently, but I somehow didn’t notice the connection with this plugin

2 Likes

I installed nice catch app. The find my app constant lights up my screen as you can see.

Update: disabling the entities first of my phone and than disable the device seems to work for me.

3 Likes

Hi everyone,
I noticed the same thing. Requesting a location update sometimes (not always) seems to wake up the phone which of course also drains the battery a lot. Same goes for Galaxy Watches.

I’m currently working on a workaround. One solution could be to disable any non-smarttag device by default. The other option would be to make the request of location updates optional. To be clear, the integration currently makes two requests to STF every two minutes for every device_tracker entity:

1. Request a location update. This actively tries to connect to the device and request it’s current location. This is probably also responsible for waking up the screen and thus the battery drain. This does not actually return the new location.
  2. Fetch the last known location from the STF server. Does not connect to the device and thus should neither wake up any device nor drain the battery.

So basically I could make step 1 optional. This would make device_tracker entites lag behind and only update if the location was sent from the device to the STF server for another reason (e.g. because you used the SmartThings App).

I’m currently thinking about what makes the most sense. Maybe add a switch to each device to toggle between “passive” and “active” mode? Or a button to manually request a location update when needed (could be used in automations)? Or just an option during setup of the integration to switch between passive/active?

2 Likes

Seen your issue on GitHub, I hope to fix it today or tomorrow.

That’s how device trackers work in HA. A geocoded location would require an addiotional sensor entity. However the STF Website also desn’t even display the location, so without using an external API (e.g. Google), there’s nothing I can do and imo that would be out of scope for the integration

Personally I only need it for the SmartTags. We have other options for phones and watches. And I’m fine with using passive mode I think. I only use this to track devices when they’re away from home and then they wouldn’t be able to receive the request to update location anyhow I suppose.

Wouldn’t it still update location when a Samsung device nearby sees it and sends the location to Samsung servers? Polling the Samsung servers after that should get the new location?

1 Like

I guess you’re right. In that case passive mode would be enough in most scenarios.

I will implement an option to disable active mode for either all devices or only for non-smarttag-devices. Adding an individual entity to all devices is too complex imo.

2 Likes

Just release version 0.2.0. Check GitHub for details :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Any chance you can make this integration it’s own post so that you can post changelogs and such at an easier to find place?

To be honest, I’m quite happy that it doesn’t have too much attention as of know because managing all the issues, feature requests und stuff takes a lot of time which I don’t have. Aynone specifically looking for an STF integration is still going to find it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks so much. It works great.

I guess that’s fair

@Benedev
I have my SmartTag next to me, but it still says ‘away’ in HA.
I’ve calibrated my ‘home’ to be within a 150 meter radius (the smallest one can choose), and on the STF website, it is also close.

It does update neatly (I see it updating every two minutes).
What do I do wrong? Do I need to do something else in HA ?

NEVERMIND
I’m stupid. I haven’t set up a propper zone in HA.

1 Like

Thanks for this. At the Github page you say that there are other wasy to get access to the button press. Which way(s) are those? And recomendation?

awesome integration…thank you!

I was having a hard time finding were to do this… so for others to save some time:

go to: Hass > Settings > Integrations > SmartThings Find Integration (click it) > Configure …then you have the 2 options:

• Use active mode for SmartTags. Might increase battery consumption.
  • Use active mode for other devices (phones, watches, …). Will heavily increase battery consumption.

check/uncheck as needed.

3 Likes

Tested V0.2.1 works perfect for me

Thank you for this addon, it is working nicely. I have one question and that is if it is possible to show a Smarttag on the Map page. I have found you can show it on a map-card, but not on the map page.

Hi all, sorry for not responding in a while. A lot is going on in my personal life recently and I simply don’t have the time to maintain a HA repo any more. That’s why I just archived the repository.

I really hope someone can take over.

I’m really sorry.