Add Search, Favorites and Recent to Radio Browser

The Radio Browser added with 2022.3 is great but a bit overwhelming. It would be great to be able to search for stations, then mark them as favorites and have them show up in a favorite folder. It would also be great if the recently played stations were saved in a folder so they can be found quickly.

I know I can store them in an input select but that takes a number of manual steps and often I am not sure what I want to listen to or I can’t remember if this one or that one is the one I liked.

Rob

Don’t forget to vote for your own request.

Just came here to make that suggestion, but I’ll vote for yours instead!

I was searching for this improvement request!
I’ll add that it would be nice to implement an optional country filter to only show the radios from the countries of interest in order to make the interface less cluttered.

2 Likes

Upvoted. But another facinating and annoying thing is. Its programmed in a way you cannot even CTRL+F the page. Please update this.

6 Likes

Agree. Real opportunity here to make this a great feature. My workaround is to create some buttons to select my favorite stations.

show_name: true
show_icon: false
type: button
tap_action:
  action: call-service
  service: media_player.play_media
  data:
    media_content_id: media-source://radio_browser/e766e7c8-ea98-4ad1-b57b-368031073493
    media_content_type: audio/aac
  target:
    device_id: 24c5e3a84e48497e7dfe365d6db7fbe0
entity: media_player.bookshelf
icon: mdi:account
show_state: false
name: PBS
5 Likes

The best way is to search their web page, makes it easier to navigate HA.

What is their web page ?

Like most things, read the docs Radio Browser - Home Assistant

Thanks for your “kind” and “useful” answer, but there is nothing in that page that tell us how to search for a specific radio station.

For anyone that also search for a quick answer, you can go to the site : https://www.radio-browser.info/
And at the present time, there is a search input form at the top right of their site. Or by many other menu at the top also.

5 Likes

Right on the doc page I pointed to there is a link to the page you pointed to, thereby answering your question “what is their web page?”. My answer also pointed out to you and others that the answers are often in the docs that no one seems to read.

Were did you figure out what the id of the media-source was?
I would like to get it for Q-Music in Belgium :smiley:

For example create an automation for “play media” . After selecting the station you can switch to yaml mode and pick the ID.

3 Likes

Found a faster way: :smiley:

when you go to the website https://www.radio-browser.info and search for your favorit station, you click on the version you want to use and then the ID is in the URL :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.radio-browser.info/history/9612651b-0601-11e8-ae97-52543be04c81
9612651b-0601-11e8-ae97-52543be04c81

2 Likes

I would like to make a ‘radio’ page in my dashboard, where I can pick my audio source’s’ and choose radio station with the help of buttons with the logo’s of those stations. Is this possible atm?

Hey there

I’m a newb in coding. Any possibility to extend this script and chose the mediaplayer? I have a multiroom system and i dont want to add 2,3 Icons for every speaker

Jup The whole radio station effort is useless until we have a search function and a favorites folder. I’m sorry to say. Worse is that I only can complain because I am to stupid to program it myself.

5 Likes

I totally agree search and favorite functions are needed. Or, at least, please tell us in the doc how to create a dashboard with our favorite stations. Otherwise, it’s useless.

Thanks.

1 Like

I easily configured two radio buttons, following the explanations of moirusty and dictus.jurgen

I wanted to add some screenshoots for the most unexperienced users, but its limited for new users, so there is only one.

I’ll explain how to do the whole process:

1. Create a button card.
  2. Fill the following fields, on the dialog-box.
  • Entity: set the device where you want to cast the radio.
  • In “Tap Action” set “Call Service”.
  • In Service set “Media player: Play media” (pay attention because there is another one called “Media player: Play” and it does not work).
  1. Press the “SHOW CODE EDITOR” button (left-down)
  2. Replace the “data: {}” field as shown by moirusty. Modify to code of the radio-station, after finding the appropiate code as explained by dictus.jurgen
1 Like

This is a must have feature instead of wasting minutrs finding ur station everytime

1 Like