Adding a second NIC almost worked. Maybe someone can help me figure out where i went wrong?

Hello, sorry for the long post but want to be as detailed as possible…

I have 3 VLANS and devices on 2 of them. one VLAN is all IoT devices. I have a Unifi network and setup the vlans according to videos i watched. I am going to guess this is where the issue will be as i am not very good at networking but good at following guides.

So i setup HA on a VM and started playing with it. it found some devices on its own, others i had to help it. it was odd that it found some devices on my IoT Vlan but not all of them. i was able to add some it missed manually. While trying to figure out why my ecobee thermostat would not be found using homekit controller i thought i had a bright idea… MY HA is a VM so why not add a second NIC and make it be on the IoT Vlan and it should find all my devices it missed.

so i did that and after setting up the NIC and restarting HA it sure enough found devices including my thermostat. but here is the issue… some of the devices i setup manually now would give errors that it could not communicate with them and even the new devices it found i could not finish setting them up even when i was putting in the correct homekit codes.

so i removed the second nic and put everything back the way it was before i started the experiment and restarted HA again. here is kicker #2… when it came back the “broken” devices were working again and the thermostat it couldn’t find before the experiment but showed after i added the NIC, was still there waiting to be configured and this time it took the code.

so after all that… does anyone with good networking skills (preferably who knows Unifi) tell me what i did wrong? adding the second NIC did achieve what i wanted and that was to automatically find devices on my IoT Vlan but for some reason they could not be configured and the ones i manually configured were all broken. i really would like to have my devices on my IoT Vlan auto found again

anyone at all?

MDNS does not pass between vlans. Something like that. That’s why the single NIC didn’t work. Its too much of a pain for me so I don’t use homekit and other similar “discovery” things

Possibly after add second NIC it still using NIC 1 for internet and still can see on vlan. Reboot may have solved that automagically.

Having second nic to see another vlan is not needed but mdns does not work wellnin my experience. Ive seen some try to get this working but not sure if any success. Things that have standard web interface and static Ip can usually be added manually but if it must be discovered thats always a pain