Addons not connected after migration to SSD

Hi everybody,

i moved today with my Home Assistant installation running on a RPi4 on SD to a SSD like shown in the following video: Home Assistant Raspberry Pi 4 SSD Installation and Migration - YouTube
So I installed a new Home Assistant on the SSD via RPI Imager. After that i created a User, uploaded my full backup und restored this backup.

Now I have the problem, that my installed addons are not working as expected. All addons are greyed out and when I click on an addon it looks like it is not started.

On the right upper corner there is a red dot.

But when I got to the addon log there seems to be no error at all.

I also installed a new addon and there is the same behavior. The log is fine but the addons seems to be not started. It looks like the addon “service” is not able to connect to the running addons or something like this.

How can I fix this so I am able to use the addons?

So I am not able to use smb shares or ssh or anything else because of this issue :frowning:

I’m probably wrong here but:

Is your RPi still using the same IP address? Was the IP address fixed by your router or by static configuration is HA?

Just a thought.

The IP Adress changed after i Put in the SSD but i changed it Back to the old IP Adress in Home Assistent configuration after i restored the Backup.

Is there anything in the HA System log that looks related? Is there anything in the logs for the Add-ons which describes any problems?

Does your HA work correctly if you remove the SSD and return back to the SD card?

So when I boot from SD Card everything seems to be working as before. I can see the addons in color and I can use them.

I tried again to install home assistant on the SSD, created a fix IP adress (the one which is working with the sd card), did not create a user account, instead use the restore directly from the first setup screen).
But the addons are still not working.

Were you able to look at the logs?

I have the same problem.
Did you fix it?

1 Like

I ready Something about problems with the SSD USB Adapter so I ordered a new one which I will try this week

Any update to this problem. I have the same issue unfortunately.

1 Like

Same problem here :frowning:
I guess the USB Adapter is not the problem since I ordered one of the recommended ones for the RPi4

1 Like

A full restart (of the machine not just HA) fixed it for me.

13 Likes

I have exactly the same problem after SSD migration. Addons are greyed out and seems not to start/work. In my case ZWave isn’t working anymore and I’m not able to open the config page, but also file editor is unable to open. On the other hand: Ngix proxy manager seems to work (although it is greyed out in the add one page). What’s going wrong?

I noticed some difference. On my SD card 32bit was running, on the SSD 64 bit. So I reinstalled SSD to 32 bit and restored the 32bit backup. Unfortunately: addons keeps grey out.

Good to mention: before restoring the SSD (empty installation), addons on the SSD are working! I can not imagine the SSD USB adapter is part of the problem. It must have something to do with the restored data…

Seems like this worked for me aswell.

1 Like

Didn’t do the full restart (of the machine not just HA) yet?

iave the same issue,
tyed multiple waya.no addon working evne they are installed.

Same here,
Running RPi4B8, SD card no problems with HA or addons.
All IP’s in my network are fixed, nothing changed between SD and SSD is…the switch to SSD

So…
Wanted to start using Influx and Maria and such, so crucial SSD on a SATA-USB3 connector.
Did the whole spiel of installing bare HA on the SSD, than putting the util on a spare SDcard.
Plugged in the SD card, power-up, green screen
Power off
Plug in the SSD, boots.
Login in and the restore to the pre SSD backup.
System comes back up…

no addons, all greyed as described.
read here, hard reboot.
not even completed booting, after waiting for HA CLI, message Docker Deamon not running…

So now I just chucked the SDcard back in…took the system longer to find SDcard but, no problem booting…works as a dream…

Any clues here?

Luckily switching from SD to SSD is a ontime action…installed all add-on again…now it works.

BTW, when having trouble getting a SSD to boot, try a different USB port. And do not change the port after.

It worked for me too. Thank you for the solution. :clap: