Advice how to load sensor info from Plugwise Anna thermostat web interface XML

For those of you that can’t wait for it (and who do have an Anna), the complex custom_component route is almost over, it looks like we’ll be in 0.98 as a component. I’ve taken the liberty of changing the name of the custom_component so laetificat’s repository can be used together with the released version.

What should you do, having an Anna, and wanting to integrate it as:

• New user: best to wait a couple of weeks till 0.98
  • Anxious new user: Follow the instructions on the development rep
  • Existing anxious user: Either keep the anna component in your custom_components and using the above anxious new user approach add plugwise-dev. Feel free to ditch Anna though
  • Developer/non-Anna user: You should know which one of the above to pick, in addtion, please share your XMLs as an issue on the haanna repository (indeed, the python-module, not the custom_component)

It’s probably best to ‘take 5’ and wait the storm laying ahead of us in 0.98, but if you do have non-Anna’s we could just ‘take a look’ to see what happens. Sincere apologies to @riemers but I kind of lost track of where you already shared things, if you can create an issue as depicted by Developer/non-Anna user that would be great.

Many thanks to laetificat for laying the groundwork and providing the confidence we needed. Thanks to @bouwew for his testing, great remarks and sharpness (in no particular order :blush:). And the review team of HA doing a marvelous job on passing the PRs. As I mentioned to @bouwew earlier: “Hold on, it’s going to be a bumpy right with lots of learning curves and turbulent user enthousiasm”. It was, and boy did a learn a lot (from my own typos and assumptions).

1 Like

Thanks for all of the work guys!
I really enjoy this component.
Awesome that it will be included in HA.

So, 0.98 is live and kicking - eating our own dogfood now :slight_smile:
(as well as using the development version)

Love to hear your feedback, although I sincerely hope it’s just usable for anyone without any problems.

If you have more to comment (or better yet, commit) please use the issues on http://github.com/laetificat/anna-ha and that said, @bouwew thanks for your patience, life (and the second heat wave) got in the way of picking up, but looking at the releasenotes of 0.98 the ‘config options’ provide great means for this integration (‘do you have a {…}’ boiler, heater, etc.) => making configuration of the integration a lot more fun :slight_smile:

Dear Anna users, for your information, haanna was updated on Pypi to version 0.11.0.
Changes:

• support for detecting that domestic hot water is being heated (the hvac_ation attribute shows dhw)
  • support for detecting that a cooling function is active
  • several other changes “under the hood”

In line with these changes, together with @CoMPaTech, I have prepared an update to plugwise-dev that supports these changes. Also, the updated code will show the active schematic, preset or a temporary temperature change in the preset_mode attribute. This will result in the HA Climate card showing this, for instance:

Finally, we added automatic configuration: when only the heating-function is present in your system, only the heating-related attributes will be shown. When both heating- and cooling-functions are present, now also the cooling-related attributes will be shown (tested by @marcelveldt who has an Elga heatpump in his home).

For anyone interested, please find the updated code here: https://github.com/laetificat/anna-ha

Hi Guys ,

got a question regarding this very nice plugin ! Big thanks for it.

I might have missed it in this topic. But coming from Domoticz I had some more info which I was able to read in from “Anna”

I could read out the following extra’s

-Flux meter of thermostat
-Actual temperature of the CV

is that also possible with this plugin?

Hi Sander & welcome :slight_smile:

@bouwew has been working on some changes already. I’m not sure about CV, (un)fortunately I’m at city heating so while we pay big bucks, there isn’t much else to monitor :blush:

If you mean lux (light) monitoring, that should be do-able if I look at the xml. Can you verify yours (http://{smile_ip_address}/core/domain_objects and find ‘lx’).

<point_log id="xx">
<updated_date>2019-09-30T20:39:40.565+02:00</updated_date>
<type>illuminance</type>
<unit>lx</unit>
<last_consecutive_log_date>2019-09-30T20:39:40.565+02:00</last_consecutive_log_date>
<illuminance_meter id="xx"/>
<period start_date="2019-09-30T20:39:40.565+02:00" end_date="2019-09-30T20:39:40.565+02:00">
<measurement log_date="2019-09-30T20:39:40.565+02:00">0.50</measurement>
</period>
</point_log>

We can have the component have a sensor component as well for such things I guess (lux not being primairy functionality for climate, but hey, that’s why we renamed it to plugwise :))

Thanks for the welcome !

> <illuminance_meter id="65135b10ae26487baa3c11c2cefda78c" log_type="illuminance">
> 
> <functionalities>
> 
> <point_log id="a7e1600e33eb42a1b40d084917435f6e"/>
> 
> </functionalities>
> 
> <measurement log_date="2019-09-30T20:32:20.708+02:00" unit="lx">2.25</measurement>
> 
> </illuminance_meter>
> 
>
 <proximity_sensor_toggle id="a4cb7b0087b54f35975e231de086e96b" log_type="proximity_sensor_state">

it looks you are at the right spot there

and I think the boiler temperature is this

> <services>
> 
> <thermo_meter id="204382c734a645c2975270a3e6aa75ea" log_type="boiler_temperature">
> 
> <functionalities>
> 
> <point_log id="9a5bbafc1b964e46875f50ac53044201"/>
> 
> </functionalities>
> 
> <measurement log_date="2019-09-30T21:01:47.933+02:00" unit="C">57.00</measurement>
> 
> </thermo_meter>

and maybe another nice feature to add is the pressure in the system. Seems anna reads that one else.

> <pressure_gauge id="5082f6d572214c4d967b0b3212ca27b4" log_type="central_heater_water_pressure">
> 
> <functionalities>
> 
> <point_log id="5934a3ae268f44af8d0f208509556b1a"/>
> 
> </functionalities>
> 
> <measurement log_date="2019-09-30T14:29:25.021+02:00" unit="bar">2.00</measurement>
> 
> </pressure_gauge>

Shouldn’t be too hard to add. I will have a look during the weekend.

@Aussi, can you please create an Issue on the github (https://github.com/laetificat/haanna) describing your request?

@bouwew ,

Sure thing.
At the moment I am in Romania for this week.
Will try to remember :smiley:

@Aussi
Thank you!
I’ve made the requested changes, see https://github.com/laetificat/haanna/pull/20

@Aussi

Are you willing to test something for me?

I have removed the automatic detection of the legacy Anna and turned it into a configurable parameter in configuration.yaml. This change was needed to solve as nasty problem that another non-legacy user had, that has been tested now.
I would appreciate it if you could try out the code in you legacy_anna system. Looking forward hearing from you!

Hello fellow Anna-users,

I wanted to inform you: the haanna and corresponding anna-ha/plugwise_dev-code-has been updated to solve one problem (https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/26520) and include requested new functionality:

• Reading the domestic hot water status, when available
  • Reading the cooling status, when available (this means support for the Elga heat-pump)
  • Reading illuminance
  • Reading current boiler temperature
  • Reading current boiler pressure

Additionally, the functionality of the preset_mode attribute was extended to show addition information when there is no preset active. It shows the selected schedule or “Temporary” when e.g. the temperature is changed manually. Finally, async and black were implemented.

BREAKING CHANGE:
Unfortunately, to solve the reported problem, the automatic detection of the legacy Anna (with firmware 1.8.x) had to be removed. That has been made manual. This means that legacy Anna users must add an extra line into their configuration.yaml, the last line containing: legacy_anna: true:

climate:
  - platform: plugwise_dev
    name: your_device_name
    password: your_password
    host: your_anna_ip
    legacy_anna: true

Users that have a recent Anna (with firmware 3.1.x) do not have to change anything.

The latest code can be found here: https://github.com/laetificat/anna-ha
Make sure to update both the climate.py and manifest.json files.
PLEASE NOTE that a hard reboot of the server is required after saving the changes, a restart will result in errors being reported.

The updated code has been tested by the reporter/requesters and 2 more Anna users.
If you find a problem, please create an Issue in Laetificat’s github.

In the next couple of weeks I will try to create a pull-request in the HA-github, to try to get the updated code released into the official HA repository.

Nice work @bouwew and many thanks to everyone who helped testing!

HI,

Since Im almost set buying an Anna… Please let me ask if I understand correctly that when using Hassio, I only need the official component Plugwise to have it displayed and controlled in HA?
Not sure why the python code from https://github.com/laetificat/haanna would still be necessary? Does it offer extra functionality maybe?

Sorry if this has been covered, simply couldn’t follow all I am afraid.
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Hi @Mariusthvdb

haanna will be installed by HA when you include the component. So basically you’ll only need to include it with the documented platform: plugwise under climate. hanna is basically the api/library making sure it works, but HA will install required libraries

ok thanks,
still deciding between the Anna and the ‘default’ Honeywell round wifi thermostat, which should also be supported on HA.

Any hints/tips on the Anna, ive read some pretty unfriendly reviews on their support tbh, that hold me back right now. Don’t want to have my home rely on an experimental device with below par user interfacing.

Didn’t need support, and replacing my old HW IV brought enough nice features.

Basically I wanted control using schema and on/off via homeassistant and specifically NOT only controllable via cloud (i.e. local api). For the Partner Acceptence Factor including a not too shabby looking thing on the wall. With it’s price at Eur 99 last year it was too good to resist, happy ever since.

With whatever ‘thing’ to add to the home I first visit the integrations page, the HW wouldn’t be it for me, as the example config clearly shows a cloud-only solution :slight_smile:

cool, missed the cloud factor, which is indeed of great priority, thanks for pointing me to that!

as for the rest, I am in full agreement :wink:

so got it delivered today, not yet installed, only got the Smile hooked up.
Would it be correct that the climate component isnt setup yet without the actual thermostat connected?

Ive got the smile in the system alright, and device_tracker sees it home.

(had a bit of a fight with the wifi connection, but now ) got it on Lan which is failsafe…

called it Anna thermostat, maybe should have named it Smile interface (but thats a bit prosaic…)