Aeotec MultiSensor 6 z-wave not detecting motion

I’ve been using Home Assistant for over a year now and love it. Z-Wave is a PITA to setup, however, and is quite technical. I am using the latest version of Home Assistant on an Intel NUC. I have around z-wave 20 nodes and they were all working fine with my rules (after many hours of setup). Recently, 1 out of the 5 motion sensors stopped detecting motion (possibly after it ran out of batteries, or a NUC restart, or both?), yet it continues to report the other values such as temperature and light. I know the MultiSensors are all meant to have Parameter 5 (Command Set) set to Binary Sensor Report, and not Basic Set. I have tried the sensor on a different network and it works totally fine. I have even bought a new sensor and it connects fine to my z-wave network with home assistant but also does not detect motion. I’ve even disconnected one of the existing sensors and reconnected and now it does not detect motion also, either!

The z-wave log in the z-wave integration shows that the change command is successfully sent and received for Parameter 5 in the same way for both the working and non-working sensors. For example, I can change Parameter 5 on a working sensor to Basic Set, and motion stops detecting, and then I can set it back to Binary Sensor Report and it works again. No amount of changing the command for non-working sensors, and previously working sensors which have been removed and added to the network, will get motion being detected again.

I have had a look to the zwcfg_0xnnnnnnnn.xml file to compare working and non-working nodes and have found that the nodes that do work look like this:

<CommandClass id="48" name="COMMAND_CLASS_SENSOR_BINARY" version="1" request_flags="4" innif="true">
				<Instance index="1" />
				<Value type="bool" genre="user" instance="1" index="0" label="Sensor" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" value="False" />
				<SensorMap index="0" type="45" />`
				<SensorMap index="0" type="61" />
				<SensorMap index="0" type="194" />
				<SensorMap index="0" type="210" />
			</CommandClass>

Whereas the nodes that do not work, look like this:

<CommandClass id="48" name="COMMAND_CLASS_SENSOR_BINARY" version="1" request_flags="4" innif="true">
				<Instance index="1" />
				<Value type="bool" genre="user" instance="1" index="0" label="Sensor" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" value="False" />
				<SensorMap index="0" type="240" />
			</CommandClass>

All Aeotec MultiSensor 6 motion sensors are set to Binary Sensor Report.

So it looks like they are missing some sensor maps. I know this is not a hardware issue and the simple act of removing the node and re adding it (which HA does successfully according to the logs and the successful functioning of the rest of the sensor) produces a node with 1 sensor map in zwcfg and which does not detect motion.

I’ve spent days on this problem, anyone got any ideas? I really don’t want to reset my Aeotec Z-wave stick and start again with pairing all devices and setting up all the rules again due to changed IDs! Please save me!

Further info: from the OZW_Log.txt I have this entry whenever I’ve added / readded a sensor that has ended up NOT working:

2020-08-22 11:56:54.505 Info, Node050, Response RTT 35 Average Response RTT 36
2020-08-22 11:56:54.519 Info, Product name collision: FGR223 Roller Shutter Controller 3 type 303 id 1000 manufacturerid 10f, collides with FGRM223 Roller Shutter Controller 3, type 303 id 1000 manufacturerid 10f
2020-08-22 11:56:54.521 Info, Node050,   Opening config param file /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config/aeotec/zw100.xml
2020-08-22 11:56:54.523 Info, Node050, Received manufacturer specific report from node 50: Manufacturer=AEON Labs, Product=ZW100 MultiSensor 6
2020-08-22 11:56:54.523 Info, Node050, Node Identity Codes: 0086:0202:0064
2020-08-22 11:56:54.523 Detail, Node050,   Expected reply and command class was received
2020-08-22 11:56:54.523 Detail, Node050,   Message transaction complete
1 Like

Which version of QT OZW are you running? My Aeotec Multi 6 sensors both work fine. They give me a binary_sensor.wk_multisensor_burglar sensor (I forgot if I changed the name)

What does the topic OpenZWave/1/node/<NODE #>/instance/1/commandclass/113/value/# report when PIR is activated?

Hi @balk77. I’m using the default z-wave integration with the latest version of home assistant. Burglar alarms do show up and seem to work but I’m interested in using the binary sensor as I have with the other 4 sensors and which I use in all my rules. Where do I find the information you requested?

Download MQTT Explorer and connect to the MQTT server. I am not sure how to do that because I am using Home Assistant Core without addons, but with external docker containers for all these goodies.

Once connected you should be able to navigate to the topic OpenZWave/1/node/<NODE #>/instance/1/commandclass/113/value/# (where # is a wildcard, and <NODE #> is the Zwave Node ID), there are probably 3 subtopics, one of them will look like this. Look for Selected_id; in this example 0 which means: no motion. See if it updates when you move in front of the sensor.

OpenZWave/1/node/3/instance/1/commandclass/113/value/1970324893351956/ {
    "Label": "Home Security",
    "Value": {
        "List": [
            {
                "Value": 0,
                "Label": "Clear"
            },
            {
                "Value": 3,
                "Label": "Tampering -  Cover Removed"
            },
            {
                "Value": 8,
                "Label": "Motion Detected at Unknown Location"
            }
        ],
        "Selected": "Clear",
        "Selected_id": 0
    },
    "Units": "",
    "ValueSet": true,
    "ValuePolled": false,
    "ChangeVerified": false,
    "Min": 0,
    "Max": 0,
    "Type": "List",
    "Instance": 1,
    "CommandClass": "COMMAND_CLASS_NOTIFICATION",
    "Index": 7,
    "Node": 3,
    "Genre": "User",
    "Help": "Home Security Alerts",
    "ValueIDKey": 1970324893351956,
    "ReadOnly": true,
    "WriteOnly": false,
    "Event": "valueChanged",
    "TimeStamp": 1598208502
}

Thanks very much @balk77, I’ll try this and update as soon as I have time as I am interested to check it out. But, to be honest, I’m pretty reluctant to start a whole new way of doing things when the integrated z-wave solution in HA has been working fine up to this point. Also, I can already use the 0/3/8 burglar values in my rules as they are functioning, but the Binary Sensor Report which I normally use is what I’d prefer.

If anyone has any further ideas of why the MultiSensor is being set up in an incorrect way by HA using the latest build then I would love to hear!

Has a solution to this been found? I am moving everything to a new instance of HA and am now having this issue.

Found the solution here:

2 Likes

Circling back to this – the resolution for me was to follow the section in this article which calls for updating parameter 3 to 10, parameter 4 to 5, and then parameter 5 to 2. Updating parameter 3 and parameter 4 is ultimately what fixed it for me – updating parameter 5 by itself did not fix it for me.

1 Like

My USB powered Aeotec Z-Wave Multisensor 6 detected but failed to REPORT motion. This happened after I swapped out my trusty 2A USB adapter (which I’d been using for years) with a 1A adapter. I changed back to my trusty 2A USB adapter, and noticed that I also had to reset/fix all of the typical Node Configuration Options of the sensor including:

• Wake Interval=15
    Note: The Wake Interval was set to 3600 after using the 1A adapter. I changed it back to my typical 240 setting, but even that did not bring the motion sensor back to life. Setting the Wake Interval to 15 however is what ultimately brought the motion sensor reporting back to life.
  • Command 5=2=Binary Sensor Report
  • Command 101=241
  • Command 111=15
1 Like

I’ve also had issues with the Multisensor 6 recently, and had to troubleshoot with help from Aeotec. Not sure if this helps, but the process I used to resolve the issues was as follows

Note I am using USB power for the device (the settings are different for Battery power), and using Z-Wave JS for integration

• Downloaded v5 of Simplicity Studio from Silicon Labs (I tried v4.78 that you can get from Aeotec’s website but it crashed under windows 10 on more than one occasion). It’s free to download once you setup a free developer account.

• Connected the Zwave controller (in my case the Aeotec Gen5 stick) and, ran the Zwave PC controller software (under Tools in Simplicity Studio)

• Updated the Command classes 3, 4, 40, 101 and 111 in numerical order (low to high) - I tried setting Parameters 101 and 111, then 3, 4 and 40 and found they didn’t reliably update (I have no idea if this by design, or a quirk of how command classes work, but setting higher parameters, then lower ones just didn’t work properly).

• Replaced the Zwave stick in HA (I’m using a NUC), and rebooted the NUC entirely (not just HA)

• Waited for HA to fully restart, then power cycled the Multisensor 6. Just restarting HA didn’t seem to force the sensor to be properly detected.

I now have all sensors reporting correctly, at 3 minute intervals (so I now get very pretty Lux, Temp & Humidity graphs :slight_smile: ).

Lux Temp Humidity

My only real gripe about the device is the poor sensitivity/detection range of the motion sensor, but that’s another issue.

For reference, these are the settings I used for each

3 = 0A (10 seconds)
4 = 05 (5 seconds, should be the default anyway)
40 = 01 (Enable selective reporting)
101 = F1 (Dec 241, Enable all device parameters)
111 = B4 (Dec 180, ie 3 minutes, Reporting time interval)

December 2023, I added MultiSensr 6 to HA, and had the same issue of not detecting motion. I changed parameters 3, 4 and 5, and it is working like a charm right now, thank you !