Aeotec Multisensor issue again

So, my battery was reporting 100% all the time, and then a sensor died (in 3 month). I’ve got a replacement sensor after a long discussion with manufacturer rep, but now it’s not working the same at all as the previous devices.

In home assistant the device is not the same entity either, previously it was “sensor.hallway_downstairs_sensor_*”, all i can see now for the device is “zwave.__19 Sleeping (Probe)”

Does anyone have a clue what is going on here?!

Thanks

Step one will be to restart HA, so that the device name is filled out completely, then all your sensor.__19_x devices will be fully named. Then you can rename the device to hallway_downstairs_sensor.

Hmm, didn’t work. For some reason the 2 new sensors each display in HA differently

zwave.__19 Sleeping (Probe) capabilities: beaming,routing
is_failed: false
friendly_name:
is_info_received: false
is_awake: false
wake_up_interval: 3600
query_stage: Probe
node_id: 19
is_ready: false
is_zwave_plus: false
max_baud_rate: 40000

zwave.aeotec_zw100_multisensor_6_18 Sleeping (CacheLoad) node_id: 18
friendly_name: Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6
wake_up_interval: 240
is_awake: false
is_info_received: true
is_ready: false
is_zwave_plus: true
capabilities: beaming,routing
query_stage: CacheLoad
battery_level: 50
max_baud_rate: 40000
is_failed: false

Actually since i restarted they are both sitting as “Sleeping (Probe)”, and have no entities. Their statuses in HA don’t change

I have been running into this issue lately as well.

The only way I could resolve was by removing the node from the z-wave network and re-adding it. This is major pain when automations are involved because I need to change all the references

Yes its not feasible at all, so is this an issue with the Aeotec devices or Home assistant? I did recently update HA around the same time as buying these new devices so not sure if its new firmware on the device or the software causing the issue

That’s funny, because I did the exact same thing (bought two new multisensors and updated HA) and have wondered which was the culprit

I assume then these are battery powered? Mine is USB powered, which certainly helps. Can you manually wake them and then run Test Network from the Z-Wave menu?

Sorry finally got around to doing this. I pressed the Test Network button, a popup bottom left said “Called /service” blah, but nothing else happens?

Did you wake it up first? The status will only change once it wakes if it’s battery powered.

So, i’ve managed to get HA to see the device at least (though now it doesn’t have the right naming, as i do all of this in Open Zwave Control Panel, and copy over the XML.

Regardless i updated my automatons, and they aren’t working. For example this one:

alias: Turn off hallway lights when no motion
trigger:
platform: state
entity_id: binary_sensor.aeotec_zw100_multisensor_6_sensor_18_0
to: ‘off’
for:
minutes: 3
condition:
condition: state
entity_id: light.hallway_downstairs_light_level_13_0
state: ‘on’
action:
service: light.turn_off
entity_id: light.hallway_downstairs_light_level_13_0

I get this in logbook, “16:29 Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6 Sensor turned off”. However, the automation doesn’t turn off the light 3 minutes later?

This is so frustrating, all of this worked, i updated HA and everything is broken… (this is aside from the sensor issues)

(You forgot to use the </> button to mark the block to retain the formatting)

I’m not sure that you can use from and to with for. I’ve only ever used it with a simple state: 'off'.

Also, you’ve checked that the sensor changes state?

woops, will remember that for next time.

I’ve not changed this automation at all apart from the entity name, it worked fine for months.

Yes the sensor changes, i can see it in the entity view, and confirmed with the logbook.

Sanity check then. If you turn the light on, and then manually trigger the automation, does that turn it off?

Well i wasn’t aware i could do that, yes it does work!

That says that it’s the trigger condition that’s the issue then.

Can you try it as:

trigger:
  entity_id: binary_sensor.aeotec_zw100_multisensor_6_sensor_18_0
  state: 'on'
  for:
    minutes: 3

If that doesn’t work, it suggests that your sensor entity isn’t binary_sensor.aeotec_zw100_multisensor_6_sensor_18_0

do you mean ‘state: ‘off’’ ?

1 Like

Yeah, probably :wink:

I obviously lost track of things while I was trying to make sense of your unformatted yaml blob.

Hell yea it worked!

Really annoying that this was a fully working automation that broke with an update though! My whole setup is a mess now since i updated, looks like i need to redo all of my customisation etc. Is it actually going to stay like this now or is HA something i never update just so my house works as i expect it ?

Thanks for sticking with this thread and helping me figure it out. Is there something in my “on” automation here that would stop it working? As i see it the reason i had these from and to was to keep the lights on whilst there was still motion being detected. I have a feeling that even if i’m moving around the room they will go off and then back on again, will find out more later

alias: Turn on kitchen lights with motion
trigger:
  entity_id: binary_sensor.aeotec_zw100_multisensor_6_sensor_19_0
  to: 'on'
condition:
  condition: and
  conditions:
    - condition: state
      entity_id: light.kitchen_light_level_6_0
      state: 'off'
    - condition: or
      conditions:
      - condition: sun
        after: sunset
        after_offset: "-01:00:00"
      - condition: sun
        before: sunrise
        before_offset: "02:00:00"
action:
  service: light.turn_on
  entity_id: light.kitchen_light_level_6_0

Well, given the way version numbering works, I’d say we’re still some way from a stable product. It’s quite reasonable for now to expect that every few releases will introduce a breaking change, and that reading the release notes (and pull requests) is key.

As for the automation, as long as you’re turning it off some minutes after motion was last detected (as in this example, and above) then you should be fine. It might just require some fine tuning of that light level threshold.