Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5

So, after an extended absence from the HA community, I am back, trying once again to setup HA. You guys now have a RPi image, HASSbian which is pretty cool.

I set up ZWave per the HA documentation pages and it states that my config path should be:

/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/libopenzwave-0.3.1-py3.4-linux-armv7l.egg/config

And indeed that does exist on the system. So I set up my configuration.yaml to reflect that:

zwave:
 usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
 config_path: /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/libopenzwave-0.3.1-py3.4-linux-armv7l.egg/config
 polling_interval: 60000

However, when I start HA I get a card on the States page saying that it is an invalid config. Anyone have input on what I am doing wrong?

Please confirm that /dev/ttyACM0 is the right device ā€“ what are the owner / group, and what are the permissions? Mine is root / dialout and rw-rw-rw- (666). Ensure your user account is a member of the dialout (or whatever yours is) group.

This is where I would start.

I ran

ls /dev/ttyACM*

And it is the right device, though I have not yet made it persistent, but it has remained that through the reboots I have done. I also ran:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout homeassistant

So that HA would be able to use the Z-Stick. Anything else I need to be looking at?

I have the same zwave controller. What I did:

• Create an sd-card with Raspberry Jessie light image
  • Install HA with the AIO script

This installs HA, open-zwave and the zwave controlpanel. Works out of the box.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s only in your posted config, but you only indented the configuration options below ā€œzwave:ā€ by a single space each - instead of two.

Sebastian

@sebk-666 Okay, I changed that and rebooted, but still get the invalid configuration notice.

@piotr I have gone that route before, and it worked and I may yet do so again, but I would like to get this working since it is far easier and faster to get up and running. Well, when you donā€™t have configuration issues.

Please run python -m homeassistant --config /config --script check_config and post the output.

(add the correct config file path to the --config parameterā€¦)

Sebastian

I assume I need to use the config file path for Home Assistant, correct? Not for Open ZWave?

Yep, exactly. This command checks your home-assistant config for errors.

Sebastian

I tried it both with and without ā€˜sudoā€™ and all I get is this:

python -m homeassistant --config /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant --script check_config
/usr/bin/python: No module named homeassistant

Itā€™s the same command as for starting home-assistant (plus an added --script parameter).
Depending on your installation, this will be different.
Iā€™m not sure how it is started in HASSbian - Iā€™m running the docker image.

Sebastian

Edit:
Ok, according to this, you should be able to run the following:

$ sudo su -s /bin/bash homeassistant
$ source /srv/homeassistant/bin/activate
$ hass --script check_config

Oh, okay, well let me see how that is done with HASSbian and try it again, may take me a bit to find but I will see what I can come up with.

Any luck with getting this figured out? Iā€™m having the same issue. Used the AIO. Simply go to modify the config file and add the zwave field; everything I try, my front-end says zwave invalid config file.

Not yet. I am in the process of setting up the Pi with Jessie and will use the AIO and see how that works out. I had that working before I just got burnt out trying to figure everything out but I am going to give it another shot and see how things work out. The Hassbian image was not playing well, so I hope that is not a sign of things to come.

Crap, correction, Iā€™m using the Hassbian Image, not the all in one, and same issues here. Making a new post anyways. Let me know how the AIO goes, I might scratch this and just roll that if no zwave enabling issues. Iā€™ll be sure to update you if I figure this image out before scrapping it. Thanks for the replies!

Excellent. Yeah, if you figure out a solid set up procedure for open zwave on the Hassbian image, let me know. As soon as I get the AIO done I will report back.

Okay, guess I am done. I spent an hour and a half running through the initial configuration of the RPi and then doing the upgrade. Tried to run the AIO and it failed within just a minute or so. I donā€™t quite understand going through all the trouble in making an image (Hassbian) and not including open zwave so all you had to do was just start it up and run, but I donā€™t know both sides of that coin either.

I tried Jessie Light and full Jessie and both times the AIO failed.

Installing collected packages: fabric, paramiko, cryptography, idna, setuptools, enum34, ipaddress, cffi, pycparser
  Running setup.py install for cryptography
    Package libffi was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libffi.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
    No package 'libffi' found
    c/_cffi_backend.c:15:17: fatal error: ffi.h: No such file or directory
     #include <ffi.h>
                     ^
    compilation terminated.

I am on VeraPlus right now and it works, so I guess I will have to run with that until HA matures a bit more and check back at some point in the future. I have just kind of lost my drive to keep fighting this stuff because I know once I get that done, I then have to learn how to set up the configuration file, set up all the devices, set up the cards, etc. etc. and your enthusiasm just gets zapped when you canā€™t even get through the basic set up.

1 Like

I might try a manual install later, but I donā€™t know when.

Darn, strange stuff.

Iā€™ll be trying the AIO this evening.

Iā€™ll report back with any issues.

No luck with the Hassbian myself.

I have an SD card that I run a Dakboard instance off of, and I initially installed the first few steps of HASS just for tests thinking Iā€™d break the SD and although I didnā€™t get to the Zwave portion, I was surprised at how simple the installation was, never breaking the OS, actually running Dakboard and HASS without issue; I figured this would be a breeze.