Aeotec ZW056 Doorbell: False Alarm

Anyone experienced false alarm with Aeotec ZW056 Wireless Doorbell?
https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Aeon-Labs-ZW056-Doorbell/dp/B0182XG27Q/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

Not that this has anything to do with Home Assistant, but it happens from time to time.

Does it happen to coincide with anything happening to the zwave network (restart, heal, etc) as I believe it plays the first file when it boots up, but could be wrong. I set the first file on the device to a silent audio file and then use appdaemon code to set proper audio file, volume and repeat upon zwave startup completion.

I donā€™t know if Home Assistant tells the Z-Wave USB stick to heal the network although I do not set that up in an automation script. False alarm does not happen if I restart Home Assistant so thatā€™s not the problem.

At least Iā€™ve asked a question in Amazon and someone said it happened sporadically.
https://www.amazon.com/experienced-doorbell-assistant-home-assistant-io-matters-/forum/Fx1IPT2AYG09G7B/Tx2X8LAAMV46WED/1/ref=cm_cd_notf_comment?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0182XG27Q&cdShowComment=Mx1EFG29OD4TZTI&cdSort=oldest#Mx1EFG29OD4TZTI

you might try the silent audio file for the first file, then if it does ring no one hears it. I havenā€™t heard a false ring in ages on mine.

Hmmā€¦ Iā€™ll give it a try, although with my experience in false alarm from SW056, it does tell my Z-Wave USB stick that the doorbell has rung and Home Assistant executes a script.

Hereā€™s a video example of how that works. This is how the script gets executed minus the button press when it comes to false alarms.

Same issue; seems to be worse when raining or snowing. Had a blizzard hit last night and it went off 3 or 4 times so I unplugged the chime part and silenced it.

1 Like

Mine went off just after midnight last night. Seems to happen sporadically.

I also unplugged the chime part last night. I would like just to have a Z-Wave Doorbell and not the chime.

Even if I could go hardwired by wiring up a traditional doorbell to a Z-Wave door/contact sensor, I donā€™t want to have to patch the holes when I leave the apartment that I rent.

Currently raining and had two false alarms back to back.

Fairly sure it isnā€™t rebooting but false triggering. Anyone find anything else out. If it is weather related then that will be a big problem.

Not too happy to hear about false alarming due to weather. Hopefully thatā€™s not an issue for me. Just received mine today and set it up. Paired it with HASS, but for whatever reason, pressing the doorbell doesnā€™t alert HASS, but I can manually trigger it and trigger automations, but for some reason the doorbell itself isnā€™t doing anything (aside from ringing the chime as expected).

Just an update, I replace the original battery that came with the unit even though it should not be old. After changing it my range increased substantially AND I havenā€™t had any false positives.

Perhaps I didnā€™t configure the device correctly, but according to the included manual, the only ZWave pairing is with the actual chime itself, is that correct? The Doorbell doesnā€™t actually get paired to the ZWave hub?

Correct, if you read back though the thread however you have to send a command to the door bell to change its mode to hail before it will work as a push button in home-assisntant however.

The button and chime should however work on their own when plugged inā€¦ If pressing the button does not activate the chime, check the directions for pairing them together (not zwave related) and check the battery in the button.

No issues with the button and chime separately from Home Assistant not seeing the switch activated when the button is pressed. Iā€™ll check through the thread as you suggested and report back. Thanks.

That worked, setting the Notification Status to ā€œHailā€ allows Home Assistant to see the switch be activated. This was first noticed, to my knowledge, in this thread:

I started getting false alerts again so I contacted Aeotec support. They indicated that the false alerts are most often caused by a the battery being a little loose.

It was suggested to shim the back with a small bit of cardboard to make the screw door press harder on the battery.

I am giving it a shot and will let you know if the false alerts continue.

I did mess around with the battery a fair bit, at first I didnā€™t think it would trigger the door bell but after a bit of wiggling I did actually trigger the alarm several times just by the battery being lose so it seems like this is a plausible cause.

Well it has been a few weeks now:

1. no more false alarms
  2. the button works consistently with a short press now

All i did was cut a small square of cardboard from a box the diameter of the battery and put it in before screwing the battery door shutā€¦ Seems to have fixed both issues.