Aeotec ZW096 Smart Switch 6

I am trying to access some of the additional parameters of the smart switch. Currently, I can see voltage and after some tinkering, in the OZWCP I can see watts. I still cannot see amps or kWh’s. Documentation on how to configure things in OZWCP is a bit sparse.

Has anyone else been able to get these parameters working with this switch? If so, how do I configure the device in OZW to report those values?

I don’t absolutely have to see those values, but it would be interesting to see and have HA collect reports/graphs on for grins and giggles and just for my personal experience of being able to set it up.

1 Like

Do you have basic reporting or binary sensor reporting set for the switch? Mine is set to binary sensor. I also turned on hail to get faster reporting on the power levels. I don’t remember doing anything else special but I can check later on - I am getting the following info on mine:

sensor.aeotec_smart_switch_6_current_10 0.06 (Volts)
sensor.aeotec_smart_switch_6_energy_10 2.66 (Amps)
sensor.aeotec_smart_switch_6_power_10 2.32 (Watts)
sensor.aeotec_smart_switch_6_previous_reading_10 2.66 (kWh)
sensor.aeotec_smart_switch_6_voltage_10 121.37 (kWh)

I also have the older model with the extension cords for the male and female AC plugs and I’m getting basically the same info with the same binary sensor reporting option set.

Im pretty sure I turned off the hail as it seemed to actually respond slower. However, it never hurts to experiment, so let me try that again.

I just tried a quick test with the Hail option and it does respond much slower. Even in OZWCP when I manually turn on the switch via the dropdown, it is very slow to respond. When I turn it back to Basic its near instantaneous.

Wow, that’s odd as I found the exact opposite with binary, but I never tested it with basic.

I guess I am going to be the HA oddball, LOL.

It’s not a deal-breaker, but it would have been really nice to have that information. My thoughts had drifted to the area that if I could reliably capture that data you could perhaps write an automation that would keep tabs on the health of a circuit or the device plugged into it. Sort of watching for sudden spikes in current or something along those lines.

Not really critical but would have been fun to play with.

Odd, mine just worked. I added mine securely - did you? My HASS sees the following for my 2:

sensor.aeotec_zw096_smart_switch_6_current_14	0.69
sensor.aeotec_zw096_smart_switch_6_current_15	0.97
sensor.aeotec_zw096_smart_switch_6_energy_14	18.13
sensor.aeotec_zw096_smart_switch_6_energy_15	13.35
sensor.aeotec_zw096_smart_switch_6_power_14	72.55
sensor.aeotec_zw096_smart_switch_6_power_15	95.87
sensor.aeotec_zw096_smart_switch_6_previous_reading_14	18.13
sensor.aeotec_zw096_smart_switch_6_previous_reading_15	13.35
sensor.aeotec_zw096_smart_switch_6_voltage_14	122.42
sensor.aeotec_zw096_smart_switch_6_voltage_15	122.42

Do you have basic reporting or binary sensor reporting set for the switch? Mine is set to binary sensor. I also turned on hail to get faster reporting on the power levels.

Which settings are these?

I am beginning to think that is the key. I am not sure I did. How does one add the switch ‘securely’?

Adding secure nodes is only for things like locks. If you add switches securely, they will just add normally as it will realize it is not a secure item and does not need the encryption key, so it will skip submitting the key you set in the config.xml of OZW and add it as a normal node.

If you never set a key in your config.xml then all devices will add normally regardless if you select secure add or normal add

Oh dear Lord, this is getting to be a bit much. A key? Config.xml? I don’t even see that file. I didn’t even see anything mentioned in the documentation about setting a key. How are we supposed to know all of this? Ugggg.

Man, I just wanted to see if I could pick up the rest of the data the switch seemed to offer.

Well, OK, I haven’t tested, but the manual says (emphasis mine):

which is why I set up the secure stuff. I don’t actually know if it’s secure and don’t know how to test, but I set a key and hit the button twice, and I get all the measurements.

Oh, I also included it via OZWCP, while HASS was not running. That may make a difference.

@StormStrikes Z-Wave - Home Assistant section “Adding Security Devices”

My bad, the secure add was original designed for security minded devices like locks, but I guess there is really nothing stopping a manufacturer from requiring a secure communication with their device for specific features if they so desire, so I guess they have decided to require it for that switch. Learn something new every lay lol

1 Like

Does anyone know where the config.xml file is?

I checked for:

/etc/openzwave
/usr/local/etc/openzwave
/srv/hass/src/open-zwave-control-panel

and it is not in any of those locations. I assume using the all in one installer things are not where they ‘typically’ are. But I have had zero luck successfully using the find function within the RPi Gui and about the same using find from the command line.

The file name is actually options.xml.

My bad, I thought options and typed out config. Where is yours located at? I could not find the file in any of the stated locations.

Okay, apparently how I was trying to use find from the command line was flawed in some manner or I was just really tired. I finally found the dang file

./srv/hass/src/python-openzwave/openzwave/config/options.xml

So now that I have made it that far, I guess I can try and add the switch securely?

Yup, just uncomment the NetworKey option and set your own 16 length key in hex format, 0x, and then when using OZWCP, select Secure Add from the dropdown.

It may seem a lot of confusing steps, but you only have to set the key once, and obviously you only have to add each device once, and after a while, this all starts to feel like second nature :smiley:

Excellent! Thank you @jbardi and all that have posted and helped.

I am at the beginning stages of adding devices to HA so it’s better to start now. I have maybe 30 devices or so now running on SmartThings but will eventually transition to HA once I am more comfortable with it. Then I will really start adding devices and automations. I bought another Aeotec switch and a motion sensor to test in HA.

Once those arrive I think I will have enough to really dig in and figure things out better. Hopefully learn enough I can answer a few questions myself.

I was exactly where you were… I started out with SmartThings v2 hub, and had roughly 30 Zwave devices, and a LOT of automations, so I ended up writing down all of my automations and what they did, and then one by one, recreated them using Home Assistant. I did this by taking 1 of each of my Zwave devices… 1 door/window sensor, 1 wall plug, 1 light switch, etc and took them off of the SmartThings hub, but left all my other device in place so that my entire system wasn’t offline. Then I created my automations using just 1 of each device type for testing by only removing those devices from SmartThings and adding them to my ZWave Stick until I had them all tested and working. Then it was just a matter of taking a weekend and moving all the remaining devices over.

Obviously there will be hiccups, and errors, so your entire system may not be up and running fully for a week or two after you move everything over… maybe even longer, who knows lol but eventually you will get all the bugs worked out and have everything running smoothly. But the community is here to help when we can :smiley:

1 Like