Affordable (cheap) Wireless window opener?

Hi!
I need a cheap window opener for my enclosed balcony. It doesn’t have to be something safe/sturdy as it is just single-glazed windows in the fourth floor.

I want to be able to say something like "open the window if the temperature inside is above ‘x’, wind is below ‘y’ and weather ‘!=rain’.

AXA 2.0 is tempting, but with IR (?!), so it isn’t the easiest to control AFAIK.
I’m thinking 433mhz or Z-wave, something similar.

Something like this: CSD 400 Window Opener
Not sure if this can be controlled with 433MHz though…

[ACK4] seems to be a recommended actuator, especially for 24V.
Alternatively (and much cheaper) the “SMART” 24V actuator found on eBay

What it doesn’t have is a way to control it through f.ex. RFXCOM.

Then I found this transformer/remote controller from AliExpress which can convert a 230V input to 24V, and receive 433MHz signals for control, which means you get a wall switch, remote controller and RfxTrx433 communication.

Unfortunately it’s hard to say how the quality is on any of these products. I’m not too fond of cheap products from AliExpress, especially not those that require 230V!
But in any case, I know other locally sourced products that can do the same, although ONLY 433MHz, no wall switch.

Because in that case the “SMART” window opener + 433MHz 230V/24V driver could work…

AXA 2.0 + an Arduino shield seems to be the best option, but then you’ll need power for the Arduino… The battery possibility is the best part of AXA.

Check out this project for the AXA 2.0, it may be of some interest.
https://www.robbshop.nl/domotica/z-wave-projecten/axa-raamopenener-via-z-wave-bedienen

Or maybe you could have a look at Smarwi - https://vektiva.com/en/shop/smarwi. But it depends on what was your original plan with the window and also what type of window you want to control. It is based on ESP8266 and can be controlled over wifi, MQTT,…

Did anybody implement this Smarwi from Vektiva to the Home Assistant via MQTT protocol?

Hi kslb,
I am also interested for window opener. Also I was checking this from vektiva but it is too expensive 119€.
Did you found some solution, if yes please share.

thank you very much.
BR

Look into GE / Interlogix sensors on ebay, they are very low cost, add a rtl-sdr radio and you are all set.

How is he set up… he wants that window open/close by “some” device - same as Smarwi, but for less money…

Exactly. I found this one. https://shop.andromedagie.it/epages/21022.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/21022/Products/AUT00158 Price is OK, but it is without controller, just the actuator,
I will see…
thank you and BR

I’m also looking to include my - already installed - window openers (non-expensive,second hand AXA) and came across two items on the Superhouse website, one wired and one wireless.

I myself am very interested in the wireless version, and reached out to Superhouse for more details, waiting for response.

Something to follow up on as community!

If you did not find anything last year :slight_smile: : Last month I worked on a AXA Remote connection based on ESP8266 and Esphome.io (so Home Assistant connected), might be helpfull: https://github.com/galagaking/espaxa

2 Likes

I’m using these two

Both have long list of issues.
Placed an order for Smarwi (about $150) and Drivent (about $80)

1 Like

Did you have any success with these other two? Working better? How’s the connection to HA?

My first smarwi unit stopped working after 10 days (it was purely soldered) and I ordered another one, which still works fine.

Drivent also works fine and is overall better choice, except Smarwi took couple of weeks to deliver, and Drivent shipment is usually 2-3 months.

I needed one urgently for a baby room so I had to go with Smarwi at least for one of the rooms.

After getting Drivent unit and testing it, I ordered 4 more (still waiting for these)

Smarwi has a Home Assistant plugin (requires HACS to install) which you need to remove/add each time your smarwi IP changes (I’ve added mine to static section of router DHCP)

Drivent recently got support for MQTT discovery, so you just need to configure it with MQTT server IP once and as long as that one doesn’t change, it will work regardless of whenever drivent IP changed or not. It also got support for native HomeKit integration (doesn’t require raspberry PI). They also plan to release zigbee version soon. And there is a hope for release of a battery powered version (they don’t promise anything but there are photos of a prototype)

Smarwi officially doesn’t work in extreme conditions like storm, since storm easily opens window closed by smarwi, and when smarwi looses power (which happens during storms a lot) it doesn’t make any pressure at all.

Unlike smarwi, drivent doesn’t loose pressure when it looses power, and also allows configuring window pressure (lower pressure it makes, less noice it produces) and I think it can deliver higher pressure than smarwi does. There is a setting for pressure safety, which allows removing pressure if window meets obstruction (like fingers). Device maker says when pressure safety is set to zero it makes enough pressure to crush fingers.

For the same reason I don’t think smarwi can be used in extreme cold (-30 celsius and below) which requires window to be closed very tight, or else icing becomes major issue. In Drivent’s telegram channel I saw some photos of people from Siberia using Drivent (not without issues)

1 Like

Thanks for the great reply!

Wow, 2-3 months for delivery is a long time. But I really like that Drivent ha support for storms. I have a sunroof that it should open and close.

Where did you order it from?

Well, they are working on improving production time. Currently they wait for gathering enough orders to start manufacturing another batch, so if you place your order right before manufacturing another batch starts, shipment may be faster. But they have strict quality control standards and details they get from China often don’t meet them, so they have to repurchase and that’s how you end up waiting so long.

You can talk to the guy who makes it Telegram: Contact @nik_gerasimov at telegram. There is a purchase bot Telegram: Contact @DriventBot at device telegram channel Telegram: Contact @Drivent but it currently only supports Russian language.

1 Like

Hi! I’m a bit curious about how the other four units you purchased faired? Have they been successful?

Have you tried any other products since last?

Do you know of another way to purchase if you can’t use the purchase bot since I can’t speak Russian. :wink:

I just found this now and was thinking of using the AXA 2.0 motors because they are not only IR remote, but they also have LINBUS communication. Jonothan Oxer (SuperHouse) had a good video on these a little while back. Looks like you can get the status (open or closed) of the window via the LINBus connection.
Has anyone here had experience of using these controlled via LINBus and MQTT?

@galagaking
I had a look at your project today ( I know, I am late to the party).
It looks very similar to a project Jon Oxer (Superhouse) ended up abandoning as he felt WiFi wasn’t secure enough. He designed a board that slotted into the batter compartment of the AXA 2.0 as when powered via LINBus, it tends to supply power from LINBus connection to the batteries, so don’t want batteries and LINBus at same time.
Have you thought about designing a board for it, or is there just not enough interest to warrant it?

Hi! I’m a bit curious about how the other four units you purchased faired? Have they been successful?

• 1 got broken pretty quickly and sent back for warranty repair.
  • 2 are working fine
  • 1 I have installed on the pool window, and has some connectivity issues. At the moment I’m not sure if it’s a device issue or if it’s a room issue and affects all devices in the room. But whatever it is, it’s still does the job of bringing pool humidity down and avoiding room getting cooler than necessary.