Air Quality sensors - CO2/CO - dangerous fakery

BE VERY CAREFUL when looking for a device which measures CO2 or CO

DO NOT use any kind of air quality sensor as a substitute for a dedicated and certified carbon monoxide monitor. The consequences may be lethal

Many “multi-in-1” air sensors are only useful as a way of indicating that a window should be opened/extractor fan switched on (eg: when the kitty litter box has just been used)

If you do want to measure CO2, look for a device containing a NDIR sensor

The problem:

Many/most of the cheaper sensors out there are simply using TVOC (alcohol) sensors and inferring all the other gases (including HCHO, CO and CO2)

The CO2 readings these things give is “EQUIVALENT CO2” - which is not an actual carbon dioxide measurement

Equivalent CO2 is the atmospheric warming effect of any given gas compared to actual CO2 - eg, methane is 100-20x as potent as CO2 (1), so its eCO2 would be equivalent to a methane reading multiplied BY 20-100

The CO is “Equivalent CO” and based on assumed combustion products for the volatiles detected

In other words - these meters are not measuring actual gas levels, despite their claims

HCHO/eCO/eCO2 levels should be discarded if you’re using them in air quality calculations - and TVOC reports should be taken with a tablespoon of salt (just use them as an indication of poor ventilation)

The really dangerous part:

TVOC based CO readings give both “false positives” and “false negatives”

NONE of the TVOC-based sensors I’ve tested show any sensitivity to carbon dioxide or carbon monoxide - even when lethal levels of CO are tested.

On the flipside they all give pegged readings of CO/CO2 if exposed to butane, propane or alcohol(2) with reduced sensitivity to methane(3)

What this means is that cursory testing can result in a false sense of security because the device is displaying a CO level that appears to change over time

NB:

Whilst it’s possible to measure CO with a TVOC detector it requires a “heater off” method that I’ve never actually seen used (it’s not reliable in any case, being extremely temperature dependent, requires individual device calibration AND regular recalibration)

Apart from the obvious step of testing the devices in a closed box, detecting these “fake” units is fairly simple:

If you graph the reported gas levels you’ll find all the claimed “pollutants” will track each other virtually identically - which is a dead giveaway

Examples of fake meters are the commonly available 2C08 “Tuya X-in-1” unit sold from a number of sources and JQ300 sensors (search for these terms and you’ll find them I’ve purchased and torn down a few). The PM2.5 sensors in these units aren’t great either - being designated by their maker as being for indicative use only (this can be remedied with individual calibration but it’s really not worthwhile)

Actual (and accurate) CO2 meters are devices like the PV28 family (PV28-CW has a decent PM2.5 sensor too)

Good luck and don’t get caught out

(1) Methane has 100x the warming potential of CO2 in the scale of 10 years, 20x at 100 years

(2) Alcohol sensors are cheap and have broad sensitivity to hydrocarbons

(3) If you want to detect natural gas (methane), use a dedicated methane sensor. By the time a standard TVOC sensor is alarming, you’re already got explosive mixtures on your hands

6 Likes

Take it from some one who (through a stroke of luck) only just escaped death by CO), I can only concur. Buy a decent CO alarm if you have gas burning appliances in your home.

One additional warning: when you do buy such an alarm, do not buy a combined smoke / CO alarm. These sensors need to be placed in different locations. If your CO meter is where your smoke detector should be, you are dead before it sounds.

4 Likes

What’s very clear reading all the discussions is that most people involved - including the vendors - seem to think that eCO2 or eCO are extrapolated levels of these gases based on human occupancy of an enclosed space

“e” readings are of no use whatsoever for local air quality calculations and for all intents & purposes are only of use to climate scientists

It’s a similar story with formaldahyde sensors - yes the gas is a problem and yes it’s potentially carcinogenic, but extrapolating levels based on an alcohol sensor is a fool’s errand

real HCHO sensors aren’t cheap ($40 or thereabouts) and have a limited lifespan (1-5 years). eg: Formaldehyde (HCHO) Sensors - Dart Sensors

real (NDIR) CO2 sensors are infrared based and cost about $7 apiece, with a lifespan around 15 years. There are electrochemical ones which are cheaper but they have a short life and really aren’t worth bothering with (How does an NDIR CO2 Sensor Work? | CO2Meter.com)

It’s quite surprising that the PV-series AQI sensors have NDIR sensors for $35-55 all up - but they do, plus have a good particle sensor and they’re quite accurate. They don’t report CO - which in my opinion is sensible

Developer kit CO sensor modules are around $20 apiece. I assume they’re cheaper for manufacturers, but they’re still going to be around $5 to integrate

There are use cases for things like the JQ300 - gutted, flashed to ESPhome and calibrated, I have usable PM2.5/VOC reports which are useful for a cheap (disposable) outdoor sensor (I live in an area with constant illegal burning activities and this helps document when it’s occuring). The problem is that the vast majority of units being sold usually vastly oversell their capabilities

1 Like

Case in point: 9in1 Air Quality Monitor (ZN-2C09)

Dangerous snake oil.

EDIT: Doh. I see you have already commented there.

1 Like

From where you get $7 NDIR sensors??

So, is it MiCS-4514, which is supported in esphome the “right one”? It’s pretty expensive (40USD on dfrobot)… i’m planning on buying it, i’m especially interested in CO measuring, but other data will be welcome, too.

No. Don’t waste your money. https://www.reddit.com/r/Esphome/comments/168fi6k/anyone_successfully_using_the_mics_4514_gas_sensor/

Hm… thanks for that. Thant’s interesting… it “should” be supported… it’s a year old, so it’s unknown if guy managed to run it or not…
I guess a bit more searching will be needed, to see if anyone has successfully got it running.

The point is that ESPHome is pretty limited in CO measuring support. There are quite a few CO2 sensors, but not many CO. Now i have MQ7, but supposely it’s “a very bad sensor”…
I need one because my workshop is in the same room as central heating stove (pellets) so i guess it’s a good idea to monitor CO…

EDIT: i found THIS on github, it seems that issue is still not resolved… so, i guess i’m stuck with MQ7…

Get a genuine, off the shelf CO monitor. If you want to go fancy, there are some linked detectors which have z-wave interfaces

The last thing you want for safety-of-life is to have a DIY solution fail you. Any Home Assistant monitoring should be auxiliary to the primary alarm

The MICS 4514 seems to be intended as an exhaust gas analyser. It’s far too insensitive to be useful in general purpose air quality monitoring applications

Edit: The manufacturer datasheet says “The MiCS-4514 is a robust MEMS sensor for the detection of pollution from automobile exhausts”

This is the kind of device you stick up a tailpipe or hang on the wall of an automotive workshop whene engines are being regularly tested

1 Like

Addendum for the CO questions: Fireangel fire/CO/heat alarm network bridge integration

Note the problerms with the vendor gateway and general discussion

Thanks, that makes sense…
So the next question is to find a quality ready-made CO sensor which can be connected to HA…

I use the netatmo indoor air quality device for measuring CO2: Smart Indoor Air Quality Monitor.
Not cheap, but gives you also temperature, humidity and sound level.
Uses IR for measuring CO2:
https://helpcenter.netatmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/17050796221714-CO-Sensor
Integrates easily with HA.

Thanks, but these are all CO2 sensors. I’d like CO sensor (monoxide, without ‘2’)… the killer in wooden stoves is CO, not CO2.

One option could be quality made CO alarm wired to esp32.

Sure, that was my first intention anyway, but, as explained above, not all sensors are good for CO measurement. MQ7 is supposely very bad, while MiCS4514 doesn’t work on esphome… with these two i think we’re pretty much at the end of CO sensors support in esphome.

EDIT: oh, do you mean ready-made sensor’s output connected to esp? Well, with that i’d only get alarm, not CO levels…

What I mean, CO alarm/detector, not a sensor. Just an idea that “approved” detectors are more easily available than quality sensors.
I might be wrong as well…

I’ve just dismantled a FireAngel CO-9D (it was EOL) - This unit has a PPM display, as does its replacement.

These things have a PIC19F614 inside - and more importantly a set of pogo contacts on one end of the board. It may be possible to fit a Beken or esp32 module to obtain what you need - importantly, these things are factory calibrated

Fire Angel CO-9D Carbon Monoxide Detector Teardown – Experimental Engineering has a teardown, so I won’t repeat what’s there

Ei’s RadioLink+ systems have data extraction capablities but like Fireangel’s WiSafe need their own gateway (it would be nice if these companies adopted Matter)

2 Likes

Worth checking, sure. At the end, CO level is not as important as alarm trigger when dangerous level is achieved. For that matter i could choose any decent CO detector and use it’s output…

Better reliable alarm than unreliable level readings.

1 Like

True, and, at the end i guess i’d never look at levels anyway (except at the beginning…)