Aladdin API changing

I noticed an alert on my HA dashboard that Genie is changing their API and it will break the connection to HA but that they are working on a new integration but no date listed on when it will be available. Had anyone heard anything on a timeframe?

Dj

1 Like

No timeframe from my searching. I hope mine keeps working(not updating app) as i have a few automations based off state of garage door!

I just got this from them on Facebook.

1 Like

man, we need to put more pressure on them. Saying “We are working on it but have no timeframe” seems kind of unacceptable considering that they just remotely crippled a product that I paid for and own.

here is the link to their Facebook post where people can apply pressure and let them know if this is important to you: https://www.facebook.com/GenieCompany/posts/pfbid033CrGX9C5LshhatS8wPQWZ6gwRd7usp6YBNMquHSHy3qyt233w2BtBE8tb757ddhFl

Welp my door stopped working and did not update app. Oh well lets hope they get this fixed sooner then later as this is very disappointing.

2 Likes

You are not the only one. I didn’t update either but my door is no longer available.

Dj

I use Homebridge also and they have a new community generated plugin already. I sure hope Genie contributes something soon.

Can you point us to the plugin please

Is this what you want?

That’s it. I’m back to working again. Thank you all!

can you explain how you got this working? I have homekit in ha how do you add this to that?

kinda a crappy solution but an easy trick around this is to add your garage door to smart things, then the smart things integration in HA. The door should show up

2 Likes

thanks @keatontaylor smart things does work but yea kinda crappy solution. but works for now!

I just installed home bridge in a container and added the home bridge-genie-aladdin-connect addon, logged into it which allowed home bridge to create the two HomeKit devices(one for each garage) and then in HA I had the devices discovered because I already had HomeKit integration created(which is sounds like you do also).

1 Like

This worked for me as well, thanks for the idea @bcre3306!

I imagine if Genie doesn’t follow through with an updated integration, we could rewrite the old integration to emulate the Aladdin Connect mobile app like the Homebridge plugin does.

I installed Homebridge as an Add-On, then used plugin mentioned above. I didn’t even have to rename any of my nodes in Node Red. Worked perfectly!

Note, don’t upgrade NodeJS just yet via the GUI. There’s a known problem doing that.

I have homekit bridge running on my NAS. HA has it under integrations but I dont see the garage door devices. If I login to my homekit bridge I see the garage doors but HA doesnt see them.

Ensure you have homebridge-genie-aladdin-connect installed. Set that up, then reboot the whole Home Assistant instance. I recall not seeing them until after the reboot.

Its just the plugin for homebridge right?

Maybe this error means something?

Could not create mDNS advertisement. The HAP-Server won't be discoverable: Error: No such interface found
[3/7/2024, 9:53:06 PM] [Garage Doors] Restoring existing accessory from cache: Door 2
[3/7/2024, 9:53:06 PM] [Garage Doors] Restoring existing accessory from cache: Door 1
[3/7/2024, 9:53:06 PM] [Garage Doors] Restoring existing accessory from cache: Door 3```