AlarmDecoder Integration

Request for a new component to integrate with AlarmDecoder (http://www.alarmdecoder.com/) which supports Ademco / Honeywell and DSC alarm panels. AlarmDecoder has devices for either serial, USB or RaspberryPi.

There is already a python project to interact with the devices on github, created and maintained by the AlarmDecoder team.

I haven’t purchased one yet, but I was planning to when I was considering OpenHAB, which has a binding for AlarmDecoder.

Same here. I just got an AD2PI device and got it to work with my Raspberry Pi (I have a legacy Vista 20P already wired, that came with the house). I am in the process of using Home Assistant for my home automation needs and I am wondering how to “connect/integrate” this device with Home Assistant.
I am not so sure if it is possible to connect it via MQTT. Any help or guidance will be highly appreciated.

It will cost you some money, but I also have a vista 20p, and I have it fully integrated into home-assistant. I use an envisalink evl3. I put together the envisalink component. It tracks all zones, arm/disarm, and also shows the alpha message that you’d see if you have a full alphanumeric keypad. I currently have an automation to arm/disarm whenever my phone comes within Bluetooth range of my ha server, I also get a text message if my alarm is triggered for more than 30 seconds.

I have been working on adding native support for AD, but wanted to see what you guys might be looking for.

Right now I have:

• alarmdevice component
  • alarm_control_panel shows status and allows arm/disarm
  • binary_sensor for all zones configured
  • sensor for a panel display, shows the text from the keypad display. This is off by default, enabled via the config.

I have it working with my AD2PI device using the ser2sock with HA on a different machine. It connects to my alarm, configured with doors, windows and motion sensors all updating in real time and automation is working to send email on arm/disarm events.

What else would you guys want to see or something I might have missed.

My TODO list:

• Fix arm away vs arm home (currently all arm away)
  • More testing, need to handle AD2PI disappearing or socket errors
  • Adding some optional groups like: group.all_alarmdevice_zones and group.all_alarmdevice_X where X is motion, doors, windows, smoke, etc
  • Disable logbook for panel display
  • Add Tests
  • Add Docs
2 Likes

Super excited to see this!

As a stopgap, I had forked and adapted an MQTT python app to do something similar. https://github.com/MartyTremblay/ad2ha

It works okay but I’d love to see something better integrated with HASS.

How is this project going? I was looking into buying sensors when my friend told me to save my money and try to utilize my pre-existing equipment with the use of alarm decoder.

I also modified the script to work with HA. Mine actually works over ser2sock (network) if anyone is interested.

Would you mind sharing your HA config files on how you integrated with MQTT?

Sure thing, you can find them here. https://github.com/MartyTremblay/home-assistant-config

I guess I can ask you the same thing :slight_smile: I’m curious to see how you went about using ser2sock to do it.

Here are my changes here… Still working on hacking in allowing network or serial support within 1 file. For now, its a second file. https://github.com/gottsman/ad2ha

My panel is a dinosaur Vista 10SE without wireless so it lacks some of the newer RFX features. I will upgrade one day. I am stuck with the on_message property.

Bad and good news.

Bad news, few days after I posted, my laptop went belly up and I thought I lost everything. Luckily I was able to back up everything before it was completely dead. Now I am in the process of getting another laptop ordered.

Good news is I have a working VirtualBox image again with my source on another machine. This weekend I ported the code to the asyncio model, with the exception of the extra groups. For some reason I can’t get them working, so I might scrap them for now. If all goes well, I will try to open a PR this week/weekend to start the process to get it added.

Sorry for the delay.

You’re killing me! :wink:

I understand though; I’ve had a few catastrophes in my day…

Any chance you could post your unfinished code to Github? The community may be able to help.

Sorry for the delay, but here we go!

Code PR:

Docs PR:

Hope to make it into the next release, will see how it goes.

I am extremely excited about this…I cannot wait to start using it! Great work!

Sorry for the silly question… I have a Vista 20P with the AD2PI, so far I got it to “work” by reading the values as a REST device. Obviously I cannot arm disarm the alarms… so In order to use your MQTT solution, do I need to clone the code and install it on the same raspberry pi that I am running my alarmdecoder? Thanks for your help!

Thanks for setting this up. I installed it on my system using an ad2usb and ser2sock and it seems to works well. I know I could directly use the serial conntection, but I like ser2sock because it lets me share the ad2usb with HA and a virtual keypad

@PhracturedBlue if you have my patches working, you might want to comment on the PR, try to help get some traction getting it merged. :slight_smile:

I am sad that this platform did not make it to this release… what it needs to be done to be accepted? We are talking about a popular component that has support on OpenHab, Smarthings and Vera… Please include it!!

Great work!

I’ll give this a spin sometime soon and will report back.

I am working on the changes requested by the code reviewer. Once that is done, I am betting it will be in the following release. I figured it would take 1-3 releases cycles before accepted, so it is right on target right now.

Merged!

It should be in the next major release (0.43). :slight_smile: