AlarmDecoder Integration

Yea! can’t wait to use it, Thanks

I think this may be what I am looking for, looking into switching from Almond+ to HASS. I do not have my alarm panel. The details are below, but I am looking at Honeywell for my alarm. So I posting this to kind of lurk around this thread a bit and get notifications.

Before the details, Looks like HASS is on .42 and was released recently, looking at the release history look like a major version about once a month, does that sound right? If this is a obvious question forgive me, when you say ‘merged!’ does that mean, if I buy a EVL-4, everything I need to use the alarm panels sensors will be available or is there some more glue that is needed?

So around Thanksgiving (2016), we bought a new house. Although we are the second owners, the house was less than a year old. It had no HA (home automation) and has no HS (home security). So then I was looking at the usual suspects, SmartThings, … Tuxedo (was in the old house) spoiled me with local rule processing as opposed to cloud based. The neighborhood the new house is in does not have broadband. Our internet access for now is a slow wifi (AtLink). So local rule processing is a must for me. I am a programer, and there was a thread where a guy used js.nodes to talk to a EnvisaLink. I saw this as a way of connecting to my future Honeywell HS. So as I was looking around for a wifi/router for the new house, I ran across the Almond. It wasn’t priced bad for a wifi/router, but I thought I would try it first and if I never used the HA part, then so be it. Still do not have a HS yet. My alarm guy is a Honeywell installer, so that’s why I am leaning toward Honeywell.

Note that this topic is about ‘AlarmDecoder’. It is roughly equivalent to but different from Envisalink. home-assitant.io already supports Envisalink (though I have never used it myself), and will now support AlarmDecoder as well with this patch.

Either solution looks like a keypad to the Alarm system, and will be able to arm/disarm, as well as monitor all zones.

If you decide to self-monitor, Home-assistant gives you may options for notifications. If you have central-monitoring, home-assistant can still be valuable for providing additional monitoring options whether or not the system is armed.

My bad, I had searched the forum for Envisalink, and this popped up. So I thought AlarmDecoder was the code name for the patch. Thanks for your time in pointing it out.

So, if I understand right, AlarmDecoder is a Envisalink competitor? I did google up the website. So will this (HASS AlarmDecoder Integration) be compatible with the AD2PI? HASS and AD2PI, all in one package. Kind of cool.

I would still be using Central-monitoring. What I am looking at is moving from a Almond+ to ? This feature really has me leaning toward HASS. I like having HS all UL stuff and using the HS sensors for HA.
With HASS I have already bought the PI and USB Zwave, so depending on the answer above, that would be a wash between Envisalink ($140) and AlarmDecoder ($80), plus AlarmDecoder setting on the GPIO. Guess who … The only thing that was not clear on the website, does it get power through the GPIO pins or external power supply.

Yes AD is a mostly direct competitor to envisalink. I cannot comment on feature equivalence though since I only have an AD.
I personally decided on the ad2usb instead of the ad2pi. I think it gives me more flexibility, even though I currently just plug it into my RPi via USB (i.e. I can use the AD2USB in the same way I would use an AD2PI, but the opposite is not true).
I also chose to use ser2socket as the interface, as it allows me to use a virtual keypad and HA at the same time.
I expect that the AD2PI does get power from the GPIO since the AD2USB gets power over USB. I can’t gaurantee it though.

I see your point.[quote=“PhracturedBlue, post:25, topic:1010”]
I also chose to use ser2socket as the interface, as it allows me to use a virtual keypad and HA at the same time.
[/quote]
I wasn’t going to bother the thread again till I order a USB Zwave for my PI. My Alarm guy is waiting for me to have time, to install at the new house. So it might be awhile yet, but I do have to ask, virtual keypad? Try googling and I got something about log in to a project keyboard on desk. ser2socket? I can guess at the name, USB, … So the driver take to and from socket to the USB? Rather than physical telnet (IP) Envisalink ethernet? You have my curiosity peaked. I will try not go too deep till I get my PI loaded up. :slight_smile:

if you have a serial port, only one app can connect to it. So if HA is connected to the AD2USB, nothing else can talk to it.
ser2sock converts the serial port to a socket interface which can handle multiple clients. Thus HA can be a client and monitor everything. But if I want a true keypad interface from another PC or over the web, I can use a virtual keypad without disabling HA. For example:
https://www.alarmdecoder.com/wiki/index.php/AlarmDecoder_WebApp
or
http://www.alarmdecoder.com/wiki/index.php/AlarmDecoder_Keypad

Note that building either of those keypads is significantly more complicated than you’d expect. ser2sock is very easy to build and install.

0.43 was released and it is has support now for AlarmDecoder:

1 Like

Well done! Congratulations. I am using it already!!!. One little thing how to arm and disarm the alarm using an automation? Maybe a request (already! ;)), I could be nice if we can include the alarm pin (code) as part of the configuration…
Thanks again great work!!

Are you looking to add automation to enable/disable the alarm?

I felt it was a security concern adding the code in the config. I was worried that it would allow anybody with access to the web interface to enable/disable the alarm without having to have a code, which I guess some people might want.

Anyone using USB direct into HA? I guess my HA is a Docker if that is a problem let me know. I do run the HA with privileged mode and specify the device= /dev/ttyUSB0 any Ideas why it wont run via USB?

It runs fine via socket and running the AD2USB on another machine with ser2TCP.

Are you 100% sure it is /dev/ttyUSB0? Mine I use: --device=/dev/ttyACM0

Yes I’m running on a linux box unRAID and it’s /dev/ttyUSB0

Hi, Will your component for EVL3 work for the newer EVL4 ? It would be great to be able to integrate it into HA for my 20p.

Yes it will- the only difference between the evl3 and evl4 is the number of supported zones. There is a configuration setting you can set in configuration.yaml where you can specify a “3” for evl3 and a “4” for evl4.

Where can I get your component? It would be great to see and control it in HA

When you configure it within HASS, it will automatically download and install it- so you don’t really need to install anything yourself. Just put the appropriate entry within your configuration.yaml file. You can get information at: https://home-assistant.io/components/envisalink/ that contains an example.

Hi, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It wasn’t coming up in the component search. I have a question. I am configuring the component but it hangs and says “WARNING:homeassistant.setup:Setup of envisalink is taking over 10 seconds” I double and triple checked all of the fields. Here is the configuration.yaml entry.

envisalink:
host: <192.168.1.27>
panel_type: HONEYWELL
user_name: user
password: user
code: ‘****’
port: 4025
evl_version: 4
keepalive_interval: 60
zonedump_interval: 30
panic_type: Police
zones:
10:
name: ‘Front Door’
type: ‘opening’
11:
name: ‘Back Door’
type: ‘perimeter’
12:
name: ‘Master Back Door’
13:
name: ‘Garage Door’
type: ‘opening’
14:
name: ‘Family Motion’
type: ‘motion’
15:
name: ‘Safe Motion’
16:
name: ‘Master Motion’
17:
name: ‘School Room Motion’
18:
name: ‘Hall Smoke’
type: ‘smoke’
19:
name: ‘Garage Exterior Door’

partitions:
1:
name: ‘Home Alarm’

Any insight would be helpful. Seems like this should be straight forward. I know I have to be missing something here.

Nevermind. I was able to find my mistake. I needed to omit the <> in the IP address. Thanks anyway. :slight_smile:

@hawk259.

Can I have an automation enable my alarm directly through the component? Since I can ARM it manually via the frontend, I would like to have my alarm arm when no one is home and on a schedule.

I can use the pythonAPI of AD but don’t want to have to go a separate route if its already integrated via HA.

I understand your reservation with hardcoding the code, but this could be placed in a !secret and also I would recommend anyone to create a separate code for HA, that way you know how it was armed. Nevertheless it limits the functionality of this component by not being able to do an automation to ARM this automations.