AlarmDecoder Integration

Where can I get your component? It would be great to see and control it in HA

When you configure it within HASS, it will automatically download and install it- so you don’t really need to install anything yourself. Just put the appropriate entry within your configuration.yaml file. You can get information at: https://home-assistant.io/components/envisalink/ that contains an example.

Hi, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It wasn’t coming up in the component search. I have a question. I am configuring the component but it hangs and says “WARNING:homeassistant.setup:Setup of envisalink is taking over 10 seconds” I double and triple checked all of the fields. Here is the configuration.yaml entry.

envisalink:
host: <192.168.1.27>
panel_type: HONEYWELL
user_name: user
password: user
code: ‘****’
port: 4025
evl_version: 4
keepalive_interval: 60
zonedump_interval: 30
panic_type: Police
zones:
10:
name: ‘Front Door’
type: ‘opening’
11:
name: ‘Back Door’
type: ‘perimeter’
12:
name: ‘Master Back Door’
13:
name: ‘Garage Door’
type: ‘opening’
14:
name: ‘Family Motion’
type: ‘motion’
15:
name: ‘Safe Motion’
16:
name: ‘Master Motion’
17:
name: ‘School Room Motion’
18:
name: ‘Hall Smoke’
type: ‘smoke’
19:
name: ‘Garage Exterior Door’

partitions:
1:
name: ‘Home Alarm’

Any insight would be helpful. Seems like this should be straight forward. I know I have to be missing something here.

Nevermind. I was able to find my mistake. I needed to omit the <> in the IP address. Thanks anyway. :slight_smile:

@hawk259.

Can I have an automation enable my alarm directly through the component? Since I can ARM it manually via the frontend, I would like to have my alarm arm when no one is home and on a schedule.

I can use the pythonAPI of AD but don’t want to have to go a separate route if its already integrated via HA.

I understand your reservation with hardcoding the code, but this could be placed in a !secret and also I would recommend anyone to create a separate code for HA, that way you know how it was armed. Nevertheless it limits the functionality of this component by not being able to do an automation to ARM this automations.

Yes, you should be able to do it like this:

action:
  - service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_arm_away
        data:
          entity_id: alarm_control_panel.alarm_panel
          code: !secret alarm_pin

Thanks to @MartyTremblay for the original post:

Thanks for this @hawk259 also @MartyTremblay I used his github as automation as an example

Did you have any luck figuring this out? I just got my AD2USB in today and I’m having the same problem.

@PhracturedBlue, been 8 months since any posting. Either it has matured and just works or abandon.
How are things going?
The reason for the update, is I should be ready to buy mine in the coming month.

There hasn’t been a lot of development since this was incorporated into HomeAssistant, but to be honest, it doesn’t need much, as it seems to ‘just work’. I will caveat that I have seen Home assistant lose connection to alarm decoder (or maybe alarm decoder loses connection with the panel, I’m not sure) on a very rare occasion. By rare I mean I’ve seen it happen 2 or 3 times in the past 8 months, and not at all in the past 2 months. I have a warning setup to email me if a signal is not received in reasonable time from HomeAssistant just in case. My point being (as I think I said above), I would not personally replace a monitored system with relying entirely on HomeAsisstant/AlarmDecoder, but as far as the system goes (and the increased fexibility of being able to drive automation and alerts via HomeAssistant) I would say reliability has been very good.

That is what I was expecting. Home assistant is not replacing monitoring, I just want access to sensor more than anything. I have a detached shop, and there are some things I would like to automate.
Any new words of wisdom on which AlarmDecoder to use. When I look at this before you sugested AD2USB and ser2socket as the interface, anything changed there?
Also, just thought to ask, I am using hass.io, any issues since it is hard to get down to the OS?

I have been using AD2PI for a year or so (since it was introduced in HASS) and so far so good, I have seen the disconnections mentioned in the other post, but the system has been reliably for me (I do not have a monitored system). In the Alarmedecoder implementation you have the option to alert on the zones being triggered and I am using that one too (as a backup measure). My Home Assistant installation is Hassbian based.

I spent the extra money and got the AD2PI Network Appliance. It has been rock solid and I am happy I did. I picked it so I didn’t have to worry about usb drivers/configuration, setup of ser2socket, etc. Just connect to the alarm, plugin it into the network, plug it into power and done.

It is nice having access to all the door sensors and alarm state changes for automations.

I’ve not used the ad2pi (my rpi already has connections that would prevent the use of the hat, and would mean I needed a different pi just for this purpose. I prefer to have a single system running all my peripherals)
I still use the ad2usb + ser2socket plugged directly into my rpi.
I don’t use hass.io so I don’t know the effort of using it that way

@hawk259 , how is your HASS installed? Hassbian based, hass.io, other?

I posted a Feature Request for this a while back but maybe in the wrong place where you couldn’t see it. Would it be possible to add in the relay messages that come across the port 10000 stream? They are close to the RFX wireless messages and just be mapped as additional zones/binary sensors.

Docker running on a Synology box.

My concern was what configuration would be needed outside of HASS. HASS.io creates a docker environment and without hoops, you can not get to the OS shell. But in hindsight, if you use a device (ie: AD2USB or AD2PI) outside of the pi that is running HASS, then all the configurations should be in the HASS yaml files. There is not anything at the OS level to configure ser2sockets is there?

Should the docker running HASS.io be same as @hawk259? Maybe a different way to ask … @hawk259 did you have to do anything outside of the docker box running HASS?

Right, if you use a usb or serial device, you will need to import the device into the docker container. I have to do this for my usb z-wave stick. With AD2PI running on a separate device it is all in the configuration settings.

@penright
check out

I run a modified version of this on hassio and it is working just fine with the AD2USB.
1 Like