Alexa and Node-Red

So I took the plunge and installed Node-Red and the local Alexa skill. It was very easy to set up and works pretty good. One question I have for the more experienced users out there is, how would I program a flow that turns a switch/input_boolean on or off based on what I say to Alexa? So right now, I just have it toggle but if it’s already on and I ask Alexa “turn on the Fan” if the state is on, it shouldn’t toggle and turn off. Any ideas?

Hi @Jer78, if you set it up like below using a switch node using ‘is true’ and ‘is false’ this does what you want
CaptureCapture

2 Likes

@snarby Perfect. That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks!

It show you in the documentation using the actual Alexa commands which is what I used…

Always pays to RTFM :wink:

@Bobby_Nobble Oh come on! Who reads manuals anymore??! :slight_smile:

No, people’s first option nowadays seems to be go onto a user forum and ask questions where they already have the answer right in front of them. I’ll let you off this one though as I actually posted much the same question before, thanks to the time difference, I managed to find the answer myself and delete the question :slight_smile: Probably like you I was trying to follow general NR guides not the one specific to the Alexa skill…or maybe not :smile:

The ones that really do my head in are people who can’t be bothered to Google something themselves and get an instant answer, they’d rather ask it on a forum and then bitch when they don’t get an instant answer…what’s that all about?

2 Likes

Thanks @Bobby_Nobble and I’ll let you off being the forum policeman because I know you are sometimes hot under the collar but generally a good guy :wink:

But seriously, I agree, there’s a lot of simple questions answered on the forum with a simple search. Maybe it was because it was late and I didn’t see anything that popped out. You should have kept your question live as I may have seen it! Cheers

1 Like

I just have a problem with idiots ( I don’t consider you one :wink: ) so had to delete it so I didn’t have a problem with myself :confounded: :gun:

1 Like

@Bobby_Nobble LMAO

It doesn’t look like this works with the node-red-contrib-alexa-local so I’m assuming it’s just the node-red-contrib-Alexa-home-skill that passes along the payload. I was hoping to avoid the cloud and use the local node.

At least you don’t need to jump through any security hoops with Alexa.

Ok I figured it out. So for the local node you have to use this:

I can’t get the Echo to pick up the local version, are you using an older Amazon device?

@snarby I’ve got several. The original Echo, a couple of Gen 2 dots, and 2 Echo Shows.

That’s probably why I struggled then, and possibly the same reason I can only get the cloud version working. I only upgraded to the show because they were on offer at two for £160 the other morning for a short while. I sold the second one and my original Echo for £175 but jumping through hoops now to get it back to what it was due to this fake hue detection not working on newer devices :tired_face:

@snarby It’s odd because I thought the addition of my Shows killed emulated_hue because I haven’t been able to get that working again since the summer.

Its definitely something to do with the Show because it was working great until I swapped over. I’ve tried everything I can find on the internet and nothing works. It can’t pick up either emulated hue or Ha-Bridge

No, it’s just the Shows can’t detect it, Dots and other older ones still can and then the Shows can control it.

I’ll wait a few weeks and get by with the Node-Red cloud version, see if it gets fixed and if not will buy an Echo Dot. Looking at the github for ha-bridge he is aware of the issue so hopeful for a solution soon

I used this to turn on and off…

…what does yours do differently?