Alexa Announce Feature - Text to Speach via Alexa now a possability?

alexa
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f4811cd9370>

I’ve been trying to get the automation part of this completed all day and still haven’t been able to get it to work. Below is how I currently have things setup. When I trigger the automation nothing happens. No logs no TTS notifications no nothing…

Command Line Notify:

- name: Office
  platform: command_line
  command: ssh -l admin 192.168.1.141 "/volume1/docker/homeassistant/alexa_wrapper.sh -d 'Office'"

Automation:

- id: garage_door_open_voice
  alias: 'Garage Door Open'
  initial_state: false
  hide_entity: False
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: cover.garage_door_opener
      to: open
  action:
    - service: notify.office
      data:

You have set initial_state: false, which means the automation is disabled. It should be true.

Also, in the trigger, you need to: 'open' (in quotes).

I’d have to agree just make notify groups in HA way easier…

FYI,
I first tested out the service to see if the wrapper and shell script worked.
Can do this using the Front-end Service “notify.Office” and filled in the JSON data:

{ “message”:“Hello, this is a test”
}

A little off-topic, is there an easy way to make Alexa to play a short chime or ringtone before speaking with this script?

the only way i can think of is starting a playlist and stop it after a few seconds.

That’s exactly what I try to avoid, oh well.
Thanks, anyway.

Assume you want this to catch your attention so you don’t miss any of the message? In which case you could achieve the same effect by just adding a few unimportant words at the beginning, along the lines of ”listen up, …”

Yes, I have be using my android tabs around the house for announcement with a chime, sort of like that and use to it now. Guess I’ll keep sending the chime/ringtone to the tabs before the text to Alexa (voice is definitely louder and clearier on Alexa).
Thanks

Has anyone been able to get this to still work after a reboot of entire system? I keep having to do the captcha from alexa.login whenever i reboot

this is what i did. saved the cookie.txt in /home/user. Then added the following to config.

shell_command:
  reset_alexacookie: ssh -l hass 192.168.1.XXX "sudo cp ~/.cookies.txt /tmp/.alexa.cookie && sudo chmod 777 /tmp/.alexa.cookie && ~/docker/homeassistant/assistant_components/alexa_notify/alexa_remote_control.sh -a"

script:
  reset_alexacookie:
    alias: reset_alexacookie
    sequence:
    - service: shell_command.reset_alexacookie

automation:
    - id: alexa_restart
      alias: alexa restart
      trigger:
        platform: numeric_state
        entity_id: sensor.nuc_uptime_min
        above: 1
      action:
      - service: script.turn_on
        entity_id: script.reset_alexacookie

can you please tell me how to do this in Hassio?

i think i did everything else.

i can see HA call the service, but get Command failed: /config/alexa_wrapper.sh -d ‘LivingRoom’

@Corey_Maxim, apologies I dont use Hass.io.
cant you do sudo chmod +x?

I can, is that all i have to do?

➜ ~ sudo chmod +x
BusyBox v1.27.2 (2018-05-30 11:54:33 UTC) multi-call binary.

Usage: chmod [-Rcvf] MODE[,MODE]… FILE…

Each MODE is one or more of the letters ugoa, one of the
symbols ±= and one or more of the letters rwxst

-R      Recurse
    -c      List changed files
    -v      List all files
    -f      Hide errors

are you adding the entire command including the script name?

sudo chmod +x /config/alexa_wrapper.sh -d ‘LivingRoom’

or

sudo chmod +x script.alexa_speak

im not really sure what to put
or the steps involved, im not very good at this

Just curios if anyone else had the same problem as me and solved it. I am located in sweden and my amazon account is US. I get the script running and can list my devices. But the echo wont speak. Just dead silence.

follow the installation

You need to comment out the remove cookie commands in the alexa_remote_control.sh script or it will delete the cookie file on reboot. Change each rm -f ${COOKIE} to #rm -f ${COOKIE} I believe there are 3 of them.