Alexa can't find exposed devices

Hello,

I am currently trying set up some lights and switches for use with Alexa. However, I can’t find my devices using Discover over at alexa.amazon.com.

I tried several configurations like:

emulated_hue:

or

emulated_hue:
  type: google_home
  listen_port: 8300

My echo dot could access my service (technically) but it can’t find them.
Connecting to :8300/api/root/lights via browser even returns my devices and the description.xml works as well.

(I am using 0.51).

Anyone got a clue why this does not work?
Kind Regards,
Cludch

#bump - toshort

I just made the switch to a hass.io install and I’ve got the same issue. The description.xml and /api/root/lights calls all work, but my Echo can’t find any of the devices.

This same configuration worked with my old CentOS based install on a NUC.

have you been to the alexa app and scanned there for new smart home devices?

Reporting same issue here with hass.io 0.51 on RPi3

So it isn’t just me.
I put all my devices in one subnet yesterday and it didn’t change a thing.
Might try to find some way to further debug this and then report this as an issue.

Numerous times.

I finally got it to work by restarting HA and spamming the discover devices button in the Alexa app over and over. It seems devices are only discoverable for a few seconds after HA starts up with hass io

Not my experience at all, picked up instantly at any time.

That is how it worked with my CentOS based install. The hassio install on a RPI3 acts completely different.

do you need to have the HUE skill installed on Alexa ?

nope. :smiley:

dang. its still not working for me, even though i can reach /api/root/lights & description.xml

Tried it for 5 minutes, but didn’t seem to work.
Still pretty weird that you got it to work this way…

I’m using hass.io, which suggests something odd with your install though obviously you’re not alone.

Yeah had me stumped. I reinstalled a few times. The RPI3 is fresh out of the box. Both it and the Echo are on the same wifi network. Hopefully it stays connected.

And I only tried this after reading about someone else doing it that way, possibly on Reddit.

There seems to be quite a bit of it with several components at the moment. I did same as you, new Pi, new install and everything has just worked, others have done what sounds like exactly the same thing, configs look identical but for some reason nothing works. There has to be something fundamental going wrong for some people, just need to work out what the common link is!

hmm, is the ip adress fixed? i think in the emulated hue doc is written that it can get problems if the IP changes.

It is recommended to assign a static IP address to the computer running Home Assistant. This is because the Amazon Echo discovers devices by IP addresses, and if the IP changes, the Echo won’t be able to control it. This is easiest done from your router, see your router’s manual for details.

In my case it has a static IP.

I have a static ip as well