Alexa device not responding on first try

My devices just started doing this last night. Alexa says “device [shortname] is not responding” immediately, and the device does do as commanded. I haven’t changed any devices in months.

I was just able to re-add devices to alexa and for the moment it all appears to be working for me again

I have been out the last hour or two and it seems to be working now.

I get the chime when I ask Alexa to operate something, and states seem to be reporting back to the Alexa app as well.

Shunts…

I don’t use NABU casa and created the skill via the tutorial and I’m facing the same problem:

“Device is not responding”
—>
2nd attempt

Alexa does its work.

Any update on that issue?

One possible solution to try is resetting your Alexa device. Here’s how you can do it:

1. Locate the reset button on your Alexa device. It’s usually a small hole on the bottom or back of the device.
2. Use a paperclip or a similar object to press and hold the reset button for about 5 seconds.
3. Wait for your Alexa device to reset. This may take a few minutes.
4. Once your device has reset, set it up again using the Alexa app on your phone or tablet.

This should fix the issue of your Alexa device not responding. If the problem persists, this detailed guide may help you out - FIX ALEXA LIGHTING UP BUT NOT RESPONDING

Hi all, I have also struggled with this issue for a long time.

For all who use the “Custom Alexa Skill” solution in combination with DuckDNS. For me moving from DuckDNS to Dynu solved the issue mostly.

Anyhow, sometimes the first voice command (e.g. after a few hours of not using alexa) still takes longer than the following ones. I think this is because the DNS lookup is just cached for a limited time. If you have any solution for this, please let us know :slight_smile: