Alexa Filters still not working

Ive seen many posts on here with this problem and none of the suggestions work to fix it.

I have tried my Alexa config in many varieties none of which work! It still discovers everything in Home assistant

Various configs I have tried are

cloud:
  alexa:
    filter:
      include_domains:
        - switch
        - light
      include_entities:
        - sensor.garage
cloud:
  alexa:
    filter:
      include_domains:
        - switch
        - light
      include_entities:
        - sensor.garage
      exclude_domains:
        - group
        - alert
        - automation
        - cover
        - fan
        - input_boolean
        - lock
        - media_player
        - scene
        - script

I have tried the suggestion that you have to forget the device via alexa.amazon.co.uk which I have done. Tried to discover again and it adds 30 + new devices again! I have also tried deleting from the Alexa app, again doesn’t work, everything gets pulled in.

Ive tried rebooting Home assistant after altering the configs and after forgetting the devices from Alexa.

Can anyone suggest something that actually works? Its driving me nuts!

Can anyone help? There seems to be an increase I am seeing in these topics and either they are not being replied to or the help provided doesnt work.

As the cloud is now a paid for feature we should expect it to be working being its a paid service now!

This is a good working “cloud.yaml” file (I have a split config):

alexa:
    filter:
      exclude_domains:
        - group
        - automation
        - sensor
        - binary_sensor
        - script
      include_entities:
        - group.alexa_all_basement_lights
        - group.alexa_all_livingroom_lights
        - group.alexa_all_lights
        - group.alexa_all_mbr_lights
        - script.close_gdn
        - script.open_gdn
        - script.close_gds
        - script.open_gds
      exclude_entities:
        - switch.garage_door_north_operator_switch
        - switch.garage_door_south_sonoff_operator
        - input_boolean.bool_2
        - input_boolean.bool_3
    entity_config:
      input_boolean.bool_8:
        name: Sunroom Fan
        description: The input boolean to turn off the sunroom fan
      light.comp_light_template:
        name: Computer Room Light
      light.deck_light_template:
        name: Deck Light
      light.stove_light_template:
        name: Stove Light
      light.stair_light_template:
        name: Stairway Light

Ok, ill give that a go tonight!

Maybe “exclude_domains:” has to go before any include entities or groups. I have my includes first then excludes at the bottom.

Nope tried your config and it still adds in all of my groups despite me excluding them as a domain.

More help needed please…

which version of HA are you on? Maybe it’s a bug there?

I’m on v0.83.2

Its been doing it for the last few versions and Ive never seen it as a breaking fix change in any of the release notes recently.

I’m really not sure why it won’t work. the code I posted above is working perfectly for me.

try posting your entire cloud: section the way you have it right now just for completeness sake.

cloud:
  alexa:
    filter:
      exclude_domains:
        - group
        - automation
        - binary_sensor
        - script
        - media_player
        - alert
        - fan
        - lock
        - scene
      include_domains:
        - switch
        - light
      include_entities:
        - sensor.garage
        - sensor.hyperv_temperature
        - sensor.san_temperature

I use emulated_hue but this is also an issue with that… I ended up using expose by default false and adding hidden: false to each of the specific entities I wanted alexa to see and that seemed to work for me hopefully that would help for this as it seems to be setup the same way

try removing the include_x: lines.

everything should be included by default so unless you are removing an entire domain (which you are) but only want couple of entities from the excluded domains (which it doesn’t look like you do) then the include lines are superfluous. It shouldn’t break things as far as I know but just try to remove them and see what happens:

cloud:
  alexa:
    filter:
      exclude_domains:
        - group
        - automation
        - binary_sensor
        - script
        - media_player
        - alert
        - fan
        - lock
        - scene

Made no difference.

Copied the config you provided and restarted HA.

Removed the devices from alexa.amazon.co.uk and re discovered but it added them straight back in again! :frowning:

the only thing i know to do at this point is to post a bug report at the HA github for this but it’s strange that mine works with the posted code but yours doesn’t.

Just as a last “dummy” check…

you don’t have any other configurations that would tell Alexa to discover devices do you? emulated_hue, haaska, anything else I can’t think of but might exist?

Exact same problem here. Have tried every variation of the config file include and exclude and deleted devices both via app and web. Makes it really hard to use alexa.

Nope - I use none of that.

I have submitted a ticket via nabu casa but still waiting for a reply 4 days later…

Ok, think I’ve solved this!

I know you mentioned before about checking haaska. I used to use haaska on an older install and my skills were still on my amazon account but I never linked them to my new HA instance. I had also deleted the skill from the alexa app on my phone too so thats why in my last post I said that i wasn’t using haaska as I didn’t think it was linked. Or at least it shouldn’t have been!

I deleted the skills from haaska and set my HA config to exclude all domains. I then ran another discover and the items that kept turning up have now stopped showing up :slight_smile: in fact nothing showed up as expected as I excluded all domains in HA. So proves my config is now working :slight_smile: How my old Haaska was linking to my new HA instance I do not know. But I’ve closed the account now as its no longer needed.

Been slowly setting up include domains and entities and its working as expected now.

Thanks for all your help!

You don’t set up Haaska in HA, per se.

You set it up on the AWS website and that’s where you tell it to look for the HA instance at port “whatever” at your public IP address or DNS. If you keep that port open or don’t change it in some other way then Amazon keeps finding your stuff in your HA no matter how many times you uninstall and re-install HA.

And to confuse the issue even more if you had modified your old HA instance to not show some items in Haaska as soon as you start over fresh with a new config those exclusions would be erased so Haaska will then proceed to find everything.